Pond Boss
Posted By: Funky LMB in half acre pond - 07/06/20 12:34 PM
2020 as we all know has been a not so good year. We were flooded and acquired some bull heads to our pond. Now the pond is very cloudy, to be sure it was never real clear, but had at least 12-14 inches of view. Now it is about 4-6 inches and I think thanks to the increase of the bull head actions. My question is: How will this affect the LMB in the pond? I have hoped that the LMB would keep the CC number to a reasonable number. Any suggestions for a predator to stock to help in keeping the numbers down ? i have stocked LMB ,BG, CC and GSH over the past few years, the CC were not suppose to spawn but have, thanks for any suggestions!
Posted By: SENKOSAM Re: LMB in half acre pond - 07/06/20 12:54 PM
The more weeds in my experience the clearer the water but excluding suspended / surface algae as you can see in this photo:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bass and crappie should be able to take out a good amount of the fingerlings and year old fish depending on fish sizes in general. Even 5" bass can eat a fish 4" in length. Sunfish also need to be controlled unless the spawns of desirable species is not an issue. I'm fortunate in having three local waters to transfer any size fish from most months of the year and don't mind seeing a variety of fish sizes of any species in my pond. Thank goodness the pond never has that disgusting algae shown above from one of the local lakes!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© Pond Boss Forum