Pond Boss
Posted By: crimsondave These bass are thin, right? - 05/07/20 04:16 AM
Caught these 2 today. Both were 6 pounds. One was 20", the other 19". I'm not a bass expert but they look thin don't they?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Attached picture Bass 1.jpg
Attached picture Bass 2.jpg
Posted By: anthropic Re: These bass are thin, right? - 05/07/20 04:44 AM
The one on the left looks kinda skinny, not so much the one on the right. But that might just be the angle.

However, a 20 inch six pounder is not underweight in my book. A 19 inch six pounder is, if anything, heavier than the norm.

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done!
Posted By: crimsondave Re: These bass are thin, right? - 05/07/20 04:51 AM
Thanks so much. I had no idea what the length to weight ratio should be for that size. Well, any size for that matter. Thanks again.
Posted By: Snipe Re: These bass are thin, right? - 05/07/20 05:16 AM
crimsondave, use this link to plug in your numbers if you have a fairly accurate scale and the formula will convert to percentage of WR. Select the species of choice to open the proper document, The alpha and beta numbers are current in these.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=413704#Post413704
Posted By: crimsondave Re: These bass are thin, right? - 05/07/20 05:28 AM
Thanks for that. It's showing them above average. Now I'm wondering if my scale is wrong. I'll use that going forward after I verify my scale is working right.
Posted By: LASouthpaw Re: These bass are thin, right? - 06/03/20 06:35 PM
Did you verify your scale? I'm trying to make that look like a 6 on my computer. For a 19 in bass to weigh 6, it would have to be super fat.
Posted By: Flame Re: These bass are thin, right? - 06/04/20 12:27 PM
Texas Pro Management chart says a 19 inch should weigh 3.89 pounds and a 20 inch 4.59 pounds. They do look a little thin for 6 pounds. I would trust a digital scale a little more I believe. Just my opinion. I agree with southpaw that a 19 inch 6 pounder should look like a football.
Posted By: crimsondave Re: These bass are thin, right? - 06/29/20 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by LASouthpaw
Did you verify your scale? I'm trying to make that look like a 6 on my computer. For a 19 in bass to weigh 6, it would have to be super fat.

I bought a new digital scale. I think my analog scale was a turd. I haven't been able to test it on the bass but going by the large catfish I caught and weighed with the new scale, there's no way those bass were 6 pounds.

Updated, finally landed a good bass with good scales. 20" and 4.62 pounds on the digital scale.
Posted By: Sunil Re: These bass are thin, right? - 07/14/20 12:16 PM
Mystery solved!!
Posted By: ewest Re: These bass are thin, right? - 07/14/20 03:43 PM
Yes the scale must be wrong. See this on LMB length/weight/girth.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthre...Words=LxW1000&Search=true#Post123988
Posted By: esshup Re: These bass are thin, right? - 07/17/20 02:24 AM
Use the scale to pick up a gallon milk jug filled with water. If it is full, it should weigh 8.3#
Posted By: gehajake Re: These bass are thin, right? - 07/17/20 11:02 PM
Crimsondave,, any idea where I can get a set of them scales, Id really like some to corroborate some of my fish tales,,, people ain't buying what I'm trien to sell em every time, If I had a set of scales to lie for me I might get people to believe some of these fish stories. just a thought...
Posted By: Steve_ Re: These bass are thin, right? - 07/17/20 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by esshup
Use the scale to pick up a gallon milk jug filled with water. If it is full, it should weigh 8.3#

Or a full (unopened) gallon of milk weighs 8.6 lbs.
Posted By: crimsondave Re: These bass are thin, right? - 07/31/20 04:27 AM
Walmart. Can't remember the brand. It was a 50lb dial scale. It's at the landfill now so I can't check the brand.
© Pond Boss Forum