Pond Boss
Posted By: Uncle Sean Trapping bass? - 04/22/20 02:46 PM
Does anyone know if and how you could trap LMB from a pond for removal?

Thanks!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Trapping bass? - 04/22/20 03:08 PM
Lol if you figure that out let me know! Electro fish can remove a lot
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Trapping bass? - 04/22/20 03:46 PM
LMB very rarely enter a smaller wire mesh type of trap. I am not sure if they will enter a large nylon mesh trap net. Snipe will know this since he often uses trap nets.
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Trapping bass? - 08/12/20 12:21 AM
I regularly catch bass fingerlings to about 6" in my box trap in my small pond.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Trapping bass? - 08/12/20 01:26 AM
Very interesting that you are catching bass in your trap. What are using for trap bait? Can you show us some pictures of the bass and box trap you are using to catch your bass?
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Trapping bass? - 08/12/20 04:18 AM
I use this trap with bread for bait though it also seems to work w/o bait. (I did modify it to allow somewhat larger fish to enter.

https://www.reeltexasoutdoors.com/p...ream-perch-sunfish-pinfish-bullhead-trap
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Trapping bass? - 08/12/20 06:54 PM
I think a well deployed, large flyke will catch bass, especially in cooler months when they tend to form small schools of similar sized younger fish (8-14") and roam depth ranges around shorelines. Even in the winter time LMB will do this - I've watched them roam a 1 acre clear water sand pit while ice fishing. That said, I've never caught one in my cloverleafs or nylon pyramid traps
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Trapping bass? - 08/13/20 02:06 AM
That is a very good trap. Now see if you can get us a picture of the bass you are catching in this trap. You can post the picture, provide a link to it or email it to another member who can post the picture for you.
Posted By: esshup Re: Trapping bass? - 08/20/20 04:06 PM
I've used a fyke net in a lot of ponds and have never caught a largemouth bass in it, and only one smallmouth. The Fyke Net is a modified one, rectangular mouth going to hoops. Mouth is 3' tall x 4' wide, the net lead is 3' tall by 50' long.....
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Trapping bass? - 08/20/20 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
That is a very good trap. Now see if you can get us a picture of the bass you are catching in this trap. You can post the picture, provide a link to it or email it to another member who can post the picture for you.

Here are pics of three bass I caught today in the trap. All pretty much same size - probably swam in together. Oddly didn't catch any bluegill (did get a big tadpole also). I've also caught some larger ones in the past - probably last years spawn about 6" long. I've been trapping fish out of the little pond and putting them into my larger pond.

It is a wierd little pond that is maybe 1/4 acre at best. Was told it was an old quarry and is deep in center and choked with water shield around edges. I've only been trapping during the day lately as the fish often all die if I leave in in overnight (oxygen depletion from plants?).

Attached picture IMG_0001.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0004.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0007.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0005.JPG
Posted By: jim100 Re: Trapping bass? - 08/20/20 11:56 PM
Those are neat little fish. I had some about that size in an aquarium a long time ago and they were fun to feed guppies and watch. Caught out of a farm pond with a dip net as a kid.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Trapping bass? - 08/21/20 12:02 AM
I did the same thing in a 200 gallon aquarium when they grew to about 2#S and were real aggressive at feeding time to the point of biting me when I put goldfish in .... time to let them go back in the creek where I netted them up. They would eat at least a dozen each a day.... got costly
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Trapping bass? - 08/21/20 08:41 PM
I have a large male bluegill in a 125 gal aquarium.

Not too hard to feed - usually feed him some fish food and a nightcrawler each day. He also gets any crickets that wander in.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Trapping bass? - 08/22/20 01:23 AM
Nice plump little bass. You also catch some that are 6" in a trap. Never caught any LMB 6" big in a trap. The Z trap, must be a very good design.
Posted By: nvcdl Re: Trapping bass? - 08/23/20 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
Nice plump little bass. You also catch some that are 6" in a trap. Never caught any LMB 6" big in a trap. The Z trap, must be a very good design.

Yes - it seems to work pretty well even without bait.
© Pond Boss Forum