Pond Boss
Posted By: cb100 New life spotted what is it? - 05/30/19 03:19 PM
My pond was built in 1973 the dam leaks so I dug a sump hole below the dam and installed a solar pump to recover the water. I set up an above ground pool I pump the water to it but I also dredge muck from the pond to it let it settle then drain the water to my bait fish pond. Then dump the muck to a pit to make garden soil with. So here is my question I have left the pool setting for the last few weeks with just the pump adding water to it. Today I looked at it and saw what I thought were a lot of mosquito larva but they don't return to the surface just wiggle like mosquito larva upon further inspection they appear to be just worm shaped.there no fish in the pool just these some snails and the usual water bugs and some clear jelly like masses. Does anybody know what these worms might be.
Posted By: cb100 Re: New life spotted what is it? - 05/30/19 03:22 PM
I plan on putting in a few res to eat the snails and maybe some fhm to control the "worms"but I would like to know what they are. I will try to get some pictures of them.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: New life spotted what is it? - 05/30/19 04:19 PM
Most likely Midge fly larvae.
Adding any pan fish would eliminate them.
Posted By: Matzilla Re: New life spotted what is it? - 05/30/19 04:52 PM
they're an excellent foot source for all of your smaller panfish....its a pretty cool sight to see them surface and get hammered by bull bluegill
Posted By: cb100 Re: New life spotted what is it? - 05/30/19 05:56 PM
Thanks for the response matzilla I thought they would be good food for the panfish I pump about 2500 gallons a day through the pool a couple res should enjoy the snails in there
© Pond Boss Forum