Pond Boss
Posted By: cardell LMB heavy pond- Just what I always wanted - 09/04/17 07:40 PM
I finally got what I wanted! Now, how do I manage it properly? 1/4-1/3 acre pond stocked with BG, SC, CC and LMB. Somehow, I ended up with GS and BH. Not really a problem for me, especially the GS. I love them!

History:
In 2009 it was a newly dug pond and I stocked it with bream and CC in october here in Louisiana, near Baton Rouge. In October, I stocked the LMB. Over the years I saw evedence of LMb fingerlings, but never like this year. They are at water's edge on all four sides. I was extremely excited to see this. But then, I realize there is no evidence of minnows, bream fingerligs, CCs, or even the nusance bullheads that somehow got in there. Finally, i believe I can enjoy some bass fishing and eating, at a high degree.

My opinion:
I know this will take carefull managing to aquire and mantain the results I want. Please help! Heres my thoughts. Over the next few weeks, add several lbs of minnows for the fingerlings, harvest 12"or bigger LMB slowly and observe the results before moving further. Based on what I have read here over the years, I think I may be on the right track.
My primary goal at this point is bass fishing. What are your thoughts?
Approximately 95% of the fingerlings will be eaten in the first year. And, that's not a bad thing.
Posted By: esshup Re: LMB heavy pond- Just what I always wanted - 09/05/17 04:48 PM
If the priority of the pond is bass fishing, what size bass do you want to catch?

Adding minnows now will be an expensive venture, you need 10# of minnows to add 1# of weight on ONE bass.....
Just a good eating size. Whatever that may be. Whatever is best for continuous bass fishing and eating, I will focaus my attention in that direction
Anyone?
That's a hard question because "it depends". Good rule of thumb is to harvest most populous size range. Pond Boss has some free articles on this subject.
© Pond Boss Forum