Pond Boss
Posted By: bassman_67 Crappie help - 06/04/17 03:08 AM
Ok dad and I have a 2.2 acre pond. I have read on other posts that black and white crappie grow different depending on the water quality. The pond that we have is 16ft deep and the amount of water being clear depends on how much rain falls cause there is a field just to the north that drains into it with silt. So what would you do? how would you manage the pond? We have had the pond for since 2010 and have CC, LMB, GC, BG, HYBG.
Posted By: esshup Re: Crappie help - 06/04/17 05:19 AM
What are your goals for the pond? If your question is whether you should add crappie to the pond, my answer is no.
Posted By: bassman_67 Re: Crappie help - 06/04/17 01:05 PM
Well we already have BG, LMB, GC, and CC. We just wanna add another species to catch.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Crappie help - 06/04/17 01:42 PM
If you want something else to catch, add another forage species. In 2.2 acres, Crappie are trouble. Period.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Crappie help - 06/04/17 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: bassman_67
Well we already have BG, LMB, GC, and CC. We just wanna add another species to catch.

You might consider rainbow trout, especially if you feed. In your part of the world they probably could be stocked in late October/early November and would last well into May/June, depending on temperatures. Grow fast, fun to catch, and if you stock some small ones will help feed LMB and CC.

Other options are HSB and even tilapia.
Posted By: bassman_67 Re: Crappie help - 06/04/17 09:47 PM
[/quote] You might consider rainbow trout, especially if you feed. In your part of the world they probably could be stocked in late October/early November and would last well into May/June, depending on temperatures. Grow fast, fun to catch, and if you stock some small ones will help feed LMB and CC.

Other options are HSB and even tilapia.[/quote]

I dont know about rainbow trout our pond is in southeastern Nebraska the summers here get very hot and i dont think our pond is deep enough (16ft) to sustain them. What is HSB and tilapia?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Crappie help - 06/05/17 01:04 PM
HSB is hybrid striped bass, or wiper. Strongly suggest adding these instead of crappie. Wiper will immediately become your favorite species the first time you hook into one.
© Pond Boss Forum