Pond Boss
Posted By: Makoclay Is Overstocking Possible? - 03/20/12 06:44 PM
OK, I suppose too much of anything (other than, well, you know) is bad, but what about BG? I have a 1.25 acre pond and every year I put another 300 - 400 BG in it. I originally stocked it with 100 LMB and 30 HSB. Last year I was really dissappointed because I wasn't catching any bass and the BG weren't coming to the feeders. I am not worried any more. I threw some feed out there this past weekend and the water boiled with BG and LMB. I suppose my concern is more due to an inability to catch fish as opposed to fish population.

Anyway, can I hurt anything by topping off the pond with BG every summer? One concern I have is that initially I put some HBG in my pond. Now, when I catch a BG, I don't know if it is a HBG or a regular BG. I see no value in the HBG since my sole objective is to raise big LMB. I just want the BG to provide forage for the LMG.
Posted By: Cody Veach Re: Is Overstocking Possible? - 03/20/12 06:56 PM
Just my opinion but... 100 LMB is pretty heavy if your trying to raise BIG LMB. I do like to keep my big bass pond loaded with BG but I remove every bass I catch under 12 inches or any that look skinny. and that ponds just under a acre.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Is Overstocking Possible? - 03/20/12 07:43 PM
Unless you're putting in 5 to 6 inch bluegills, the bass are probably eating them immediately. They will be too disoriented to escape predation. The only thing you will hurt is your wallet.
Posted By: Makoclay Re: Is Overstocking Possible? - 03/21/12 12:57 PM
Good point. Yall are probably right. I think I'll cut back on quantity and go for larger fish. Thanks!
Posted By: Allmadness Re: Is Overstocking Possible? - 03/21/12 01:35 PM
To your point of overstocking, Yes, you can overstock. In my opinion you are over on LMB. From what I am familiar with you would stock 25 to 50 per acre. 25 if not aerated and 50 if it was. You are double to triple over the stocking numbers of LMB for that pond.
Posted By: ewest Re: Is Overstocking Possible? - 03/21/12 02:28 PM
Its not the 100 LMB but their offspring that could be a problem. Feeding should help. So will adding some adult CNBG or BG every year for a few years. Harvest some of the small LMB ,including a few of the original stockers (about 40 of them).
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Is Overstocking Possible? - 04/16/12 03:00 AM
I'd put a lot of structure in the pond so your BG offspring have a place to hide from your bass.
© Pond Boss Forum