Pond Boss
Posted By: Brett295 No young LMB - 07/17/11 03:11 PM
I have removed about 100-120 LMB ranging in size from 8-12 inches over the past 3 years. The pond is just under 2 acres. This year I went out to fish and haven't caught any LMB under 13 inches. I'm happy that they have started growing but I'm worried that they aren't spawning successfully.

During the past 3 years I have removed very few bluegill. At most 20 or so per year and they were mostly GSF and HBG. I'm worried that the BG may be raiding LMB spawning beds. I have been feeding for the past three years and since there are less LMB the BG have been very successful at spawning. When I fish for BG most of the ones I catch are about 3-5 inches.

Should I start taking BG out in the 3-5 inch size range? If so how many should I remove?
Posted By: Rainman Re: No young LMB - 07/17/11 03:51 PM
Your LMB will spawn....no worries there. Try targeting your BG with a rod and reel (different sized hooks) to see if there is a good variation of sizes...if there is, you're in good shape.
Posted By: Brett295 Re: No young LMB - 07/17/11 08:01 PM
I caught 41 BG today at the pond. I'm sure I could have caught more but I brought my 3 year old son with me. He's a handful at this age. I didn't catch any BG over 6 inches. I'm still worried about the LMB spawns. I used to see the LMB schools swimming around the shallows and I haven't seen that this year. The fact that I haven't caught any under 13 inches also has me a little worried.

Have you ever heard of a pond getting so crowded with BG that they either raid the nests or eat all or most of the LMB fry?
Posted By: esshup Re: No young LMB - 07/17/11 10:50 PM
Nope. The LMB are there.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: No young LMB - 07/18/11 05:51 AM
I have seen BG get so abundant that LMB recruitment is limited at best. I have only seen this in small ponds north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Posted By: ewest Re: No young LMB - 07/18/11 01:58 PM
CJ it can happen anywhere if BG #s get to high.

Suggest a seine survey to look for LMB recruitment. If the LMB spawn you should find some small yoy LMB.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: No young LMB - 07/19/11 09:04 AM
I am sure that's the case, just never personally observed it. Usually in southern ponds the LMB are the ones getting out of control.
© Pond Boss Forum