Pond Boss
Posted By: 2catmom Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/24/09 08:44 PM
I am seeing hundreds of small fry fish ranging in size from 1-4" long to 1-1/4" long. Today was the first time I saw any evidence of new fish, although I did not check over the weekend as it was cold and rainy. We know we have carp still in here, so I wonder what these fish are that must have recently hatched? The have a white looking strip on their back from their head down about 1/3 the size of the body.
Glad I don't have to deal with this one. I think it may be a problem..........
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/24/09 08:56 PM
Sounds like fish are coming in from somewhere. If so this will continue to be a problem no matter how many times you use rotenone. In this case the barn door hasn't even been closed too late. It's still wide open.
Posted By: 2catmom Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 12:48 AM
Cecil:
We got two fish in a baggie, I put them in the freezer, pretty sure they are baby carp, about 1-1/4 inch, very gold in color, fat belly. We also got what I think are 3 water fleas?
Lynda
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 01:45 AM
If they are fingerling Carp, they should have barbels (feelers) visible at the mouth.
Posted By: esshup Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 02:03 AM
Do you know anyone that could take and post a pic?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 02:36 AM
I volunteered to post pics if Lynda emails them to me.

But don't you guys think it's academic what species they are? Apparently there was not a complete fish kill and/or fish are making their way back in.
Posted By: esshup Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 02:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
But don't you guys think it's academic what species they are? Apparently there was not a complete fish kill and/or fish are making their way back in.

True.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 02:59 AM
I agree also, but I think that we have all learned that there are no guarantees when dealing with live fish or Mother Nature.

2cat you've got to get us some pictures somehow.

Now might be a perfect time to let some natural predators into the pond to help keep down any successful recruitment of unwanted fish. The fishkill set up the situations to regain control, perhaps.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 04:21 AM
Add some flathead and northern pike perhaps?
Posted By: Walt Foreman Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 04:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
Add some flathead and northern pike perhaps?

Northern pike or tiger muskie either one would be the enforcers to those rogue carp fingerlings. One or so flatheads per couple acres (I don't remember the exact size of the lake, a few acres?) would be the Dirty Harry's.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 12:26 PM
I was thinking some intermediate sized LMB.

Then you would have the option to consider some "bigger" predator as mentioned.
Posted By: 2catmom Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 12:37 PM
You guys are the best, GF LakeChair is really bumming out. The contract said that the chemical should kill all bullhead and carp. There are lots of large carp here. I think the other little fish are not carp, maybe minnows, maybe G Shad. The applicator told my husband he "guaranteed" that nothing that breathes through gills would survive, and he was perplexed that it took so long for the fish to die, he said it would be immediate.
The HO Board has not paid yet, but the company wants additional money to come back. GFLC should hand this over to Board Pres. to hammer out. They have to come back.
There is no way for anything else to come in. The water level is very low, and the outflow flap valve is way above where any water would be. No other water other than storm drains come into this lake.
The fish kill took place on July 30. It is Aug. 25, the fish must be at least one to three weeks old. The eggs must have been here, the timing was wrong for the fish kill. If done when the water was 55-60, it would have stayed active much longer than 4 days.
How often do Carp spawn?
Posted By: TOM G Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 02:23 PM
Maybe a couple of large pirana with IED's strapped to thier backs for quick removal later on.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 02:34 PM
Dang it Tom, I told you about the Piranha bombs in confidence.

Discretion, my man, discretion.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 02:37 PM
2cat sorry to hear about this situation.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 02:59 PM
Sounds like the HOA is right about not paying. The guy that applied the rotenone needs to do what he promised and kill all the fish.
Posted By: 2catmom Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/25/09 03:43 PM
Ken Grand is here, we unfroze one of the fish, and took pics, his wife might be able to e-mail to Cecil. I will learn this photo thing over the winter. They are different in color than when first caught, there is a red/orange ring around the base of the tail Ken is out there with a seine net, will get lots today. I have to go to work. I think there are more than one type of fish. Hope we have a plan before we write the next newsletter. Our water clarity decreased to 4.8, Fav Guy BOS was right, he knows water like I know gardening. I like that Tom Gs cool idea.
Maybe we should move LM back here until October? Rotate the fish.
Posted By: 2catmom Re: Looks like the fish kill failed! - 08/26/09 03:59 PM
All of the fish are the same, we have about 25, I think they must be baby carp. The "white" stripe was the back fin. We looked at them in a loop and didn't see anything on the mouth though, when they get bigger maybe it will be there, golden in color. Everything looks so different in the water.
© Pond Boss Forum