Pond Boss
Posted By: Bruce Condello Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/21/09 05:42 PM
Three bluegill.

All 40 weeks old.

All started at the same appoximate size.

Three different pelleted feeds.

BTW...the answer is no.
Posted By: P. Buckley Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/21/09 06:12 PM
Details?! Do not tease us. Please
No.
I'll take a guess, top one dog food, middle one aquamax, and bottom one aquamax with ground-up GSF.
Dont know the answer, or question. I do know they are not from your ponds.
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Dont...know...I...not.....ponds.

Sorry, absolutely not.
Photo 1 = Kellogg's Special K

Photo 2 = Aqua Max 75

Photo 3 = Purina Mutant Bluegill Chow
Posted By: ewest Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/21/09 10:47 PM
1. one pellet of catfish food a day

2 one feeding (5 pellets of 32%) every other day

3 Frankenbruce 300% liquefied pellets by feeding tube and hooked to a force feeder pump
It's hard to tell from the picture, but all three fish are actually loaded with pellets.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/21/09 11:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

BTW...the answer is no.

How long will you toy with us mere mortals? Does someone have to guess each pellet food correctly?
Posted By: jsand13 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/22/09 12:02 AM
Ok Well I will start the guessing then.
1. Game fish chow
2. Aquamax
3. Silvercup
Posted By: jakeb Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/22/09 12:04 AM
Bruce...can we make this matching? Give us 10-15 choices?? and work from there??!!
Posted By: AaronM Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/22/09 12:16 AM
Can I play? \:\)
NO!
Posted By: AaronM Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/22/09 12:21 AM
Didn't think so. \:\(
If anybody would like, you can send me a PM and I will find an alternate way to decline your request.
Posted By: jsand13 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/22/09 12:27 AM
Why don't you just let us know what the first fish was raised on so we can stop using that feed.
Tell me what you're using and I'll tell you if you should be worried.
Posted By: jsand13 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/22/09 12:36 AM
I don't think I should be worried. Im using Aquamax 500.
Believe it or not, that top fish is a CSBG and it's bigger than the average fish of it's age. The fish in his tank don't like their food when it's on the top. The fish in the other two tanks will take the more preferred food off the top even when the water is super cold.

I don't know why. Maybe they just like it that much.
Posted By: P. Buckley Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/22/09 12:41 AM
May the fleas of a dozen camels infest your armpits, (unless you tell us).
Posted By: jsand13 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/22/09 12:42 AM
How long does it take for a 1" CSBG to get to 5" or so?
 Originally Posted By: jsand13
How long does it take for a 1" CSBG to get to 5" or so?

It takes from age 2-month to age 9-month
 Originally Posted By: jsand13
I don't think I should be worried. Im using Aquamax 500.

You're definitely OK.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/22/09 01:58 AM
"May the fleas of a dozen camels infest your armpits, (unless you tell us)."

Thank you P. Buckley.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/22/09 02:41 AM
I can't guess all three, but I'd say Aquamax 300 or 600 had either of the top two results.

EDIT: Bruce has been feeding his largest BG Aquamax Largemouth, hasn't he?
I think #3 has been eating the top secret feed Bruce has been beta testing for Mark Griffin.
Do we have to wait untill Christmas? ;\)
Posted By: bobad Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/23/09 01:45 PM
I suspect human sacrifice in that bottom fish. Hey, if that's what it takes...
Posted By: Sunil Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/23/09 02:51 PM
"I suspect human sacrifice in that bottom fish. Hey, if that's what it takes..."

Apocalypto Condello-Style?
Is there any way we can ban Bruce?

Was there any difference in anything other than feed? Were all three fish representative of the population in that pond? In other words, what else may have been different?
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

I don't think so, but I understand the sentiment. Most of us probably would have been happy with BG #1.
Posted By: jakeb Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/23/09 03:42 PM
This thread makes me lose sleep at night! Soon my work will start to suffer.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/23/09 06:56 PM
This post is like forcing a fat kid to sit and watch while you eat a big piece of cake!
Posted By: bobad Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/23/09 07:16 PM
Maybe Bruce sang to the top fish, hummed to the middle one, and did nothing to the bottom one.

Don't matter to me. I have some as big as the bottom one anyway. They're like 7 years old, but so what?
I think there should be a law against sadistic people being allowed to practice Dentistry, But it's normal for pondaholics.
Since we haven't been given an answer yet, I noticed when I switched from PGFC to Aquamax that the it took awhile for the bluegill to really start eating it. They don't seem to be eating as much either which wasn't a big concern for me since the protein content of the Aquamax is almost 50% higher. Maybe how it tastes has more to do with growth than the protein content. It would kinda make sense...if given the choice of eating whey protein or big macs, I'd gain more on big macs because I'd eat more even though the whey protein shakes have higher protein concentration.
Ryan, I have noticed when switching feed at the end of the year (and trying to finish off whatever I have left) that my fish don't like going from GFC to Aquamax OR from Aquamax to GFC.
Posted By: Brett295 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/23/09 08:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ryan Freeze
Since we haven't been given an answer yet, I noticed when I switched from PGFC to Aquamax that the it took awhile for the bluegill to really start eating it. They don't seem to be eating as much either which wasn't a big concern for me since the protein content of the Aquamax is almost 50% higher. Maybe how it tastes has more to do with growth than the protein content. It would kinda make sense...if given the choice of eating whey protein or big macs, I'd gain more on big macs because I'd eat more even though the whey protein shakes have higher protein concentration.

Can fish have heart attacks? If not I migh try that big mac thing. it's probably cheaper than GFC \:\)
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/23/09 09:55 PM
You would think BG would go by the mantra "beggars can't be choosers" but apparently they didn't get the memo...
 Originally Posted By: bobad
I suspect human sacrifice in that bottom fish. Hey, if that's what it takes...

Nope.
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Was there any difference in anything other than feed? Were all three fish representative of the population in that pond? In other words, what else may have been different?

Uh uh. Sorry.
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Ryan, I have noticed when switching feed at the end of the year (and trying to finish off whatever I have left) that my fish don't like going from GFC to Aquamax OR from Aquamax to GFC.

Yep, same here.
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I think there should be a law against sadistic people being allowed to practice Dentistry, But it's normal for pondaholics.

Disagree.
 Originally Posted By: bobad
Maybe Bruce sang to the top fish, hummed to the middle one, and did nothing to the bottom one.

No, NO, NOOO!!!!
 Originally Posted By: Sunil

Apocalypto Condello-Style?

Negatory there, Big Ben.
Same three fish, overhead view.

One fish doesn't like his feed when the water gets too cool. To be honest, he eats it, and then spits it out a lot.

The next fish likes his food a lot, but it sometimes gives him the runz, and lots of algae grows in his tank. He grows rapidly, but if you look at his innards upon dissection, some of his organs don't look quite right. He'll still outgrow any of his cousins who don't have feed by about two to one.

The biggest fish eats his food when it gets cold out, and seems to come to floating pellets better than the other two fish. He also doesn't appear to have any sorts of internal issues.

Believe it or not, by percentile, vs. the fish that weren't given any feed at all the fish ranked as follows:

Smallest fish, about 60th percentile
Middle fish, about 97th percentile
Biggest fish, they don't make a percentile high enough for him
Posted By: davatsa Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/23/09 11:49 PM
Bruce,
Pardon me for missing the point, but is the difference in size a function of the feeding behaviors of each individual fish in response to temperature (as implied in your last post) or the use of different types of pellets (as suggested in your original post).

A combination of both?
Great question.

I'm not sure.

I think that a particular food may have "cues" that tell a fish to stop eating.

I also think that how much a fish "likes" a particular feed may dictate whether it will come to the surface in borderline temperatures--like in the 50-55 F degree range. Most of this is speculation, but when fish that start out all the same, and are grown in identical tanks with identical water and identical temperatures, and you've got fish in one tank hammering pellets off the top in 52 degree water, and fish in the other tank just barely blipping the pellets, maybe you're on to something.

If I could just get into their teeny-tiny minds maybe I could know for sure.

One thing I do know is that high quality feeds make bluegill grow a lot, even in really cool water.

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 12:23 AM
Sounds like you need to selectively breed BG for what kinda feed you're going to feed them. Aquamax strain BG, Purina strain BG, etc... Some BG like one feed over another, so if you selectively breed ones that like the certain feed you are going to feed your fish, then you're on your way???
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Sounds like you need to selectively breed BG for what kinda feed you're going to feed them. Aquamax strain BG, Purina strain BG, etc... Some BG like one feed over another, so if you selectively breed ones that like the certain feed you are going to feed your fish, then you're on your way???

I absolutely and whole-heartedly agree with the entire sentiment of this last statement.

I think you can select bluegill, or any fish for that matter, to like a certain type of food. I also think that fish do this themselves in a pond environment. If you have abundant glass shrimp, then you will quickly select for bluegill who like, and are good at capturing glass shrimp.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 12:33 AM
Evolution on a small scale... Definitely a very interesting idea! How practical do you really think it is though Bruce?
I think it's practical for anybody crazy enough to want to try to grow fish quickly for aquacultural needs.

The problem is to figure out what you've just selected for. If your fish are loving a particular feed, are you selecting for the taste of the feed, or the shape, or the buoyancy....or maybe consistency. It's all so complicated and intertwined. When my bluegill grow quickly in indoor tanks am I selecting for food conversion?...or maybe ability to thrive in salinity??...or maybe preference for a round tank????. I think you get my picture. Any time you try to select a fish, or other animal, there's a myriad of things you may be selecting for and not realize it. It's virtually impossible to isolate and control all your variables. I deeply respect scientists who do this sort of a thing for a living.
Posted By: ericdc Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 12:59 AM
It looks like growth hormones and steroids have expanded from Major League Baseball and found a new home in Condello's bluegill.
Posted By: ewest Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 01:01 AM

Yep, same here.

Aquamax when it hits the water immediately gives off an oil sheen and GFC does not. I don't like switching feed. So I mix AM 500 and GFC. The mixing transfers oil from the AM to the GFC. The fish eat both well , get a higher protein level than with just GFC and while AM tends over time to cause clogging in the feeder the mix does not because some of the surface fish oil is absorbed into the GFC.
Posted By: jakeb Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 01:13 AM
Ewest does any of this help explain your exp with OTS CNBG feeding heavy in cold water? Or is that still an unexplained phenomenon?
Posted By: ewest Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 01:15 AM
I think it's practical for anybody crazy enough to want to try to grow fish quickly for aquacultural needs. I deeply respect scientists who do this sort of a thing for a living. The problem is to figure out what you've just selected for.

Did you select for him or did he slect you ? \:D

SO the moral of this story is fish are just like people, different likes, different tastes, and different genetics. ;\)
Posted By: ewest Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 01:33 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakeb
Ewest does any of this help explain your exp with OTS CNBG feeding heavy in cold water? Or is that still an unexplained phenomenon?

Good question. I don't have an answer on that behavior. Those fish only stopped feeding like that for 2 weeks after we had 18 F low temps for 3 days ( 48-50 water temps). They started up the same feeding activity when temps went up to 52 F and are still eating like that. The fish were stocked in late Nov with the bigger fish at 5 inches. Upon close viewing at the feeder the bigger fish are now 8 inches. That is 3 inches of growth over 3 mths when cold water generally means no or little growth. I have not caught any yet and will not be doing so until after they spawn so I don't have positive measured data. Another measuring criteria is gape size - the bigger fish now easily eat AM 600 when thrown out.
Since we are talking about selecting fish for fast growth the Piketon research facility in Ohio has now increased growth rates in yellow perch by 40 percent, and this is just the beginning. They are looking for volunteers in the midwest to grow them out and report their results.

I remember a guy named Wallat telling us at an aquaculture meeting about them collecting perch from different regions and comparing growth rates etc.

I hope I didn't derail the thread.
Not derailed at all! \:D

How can I get some of these perch?
Great question.

I'm not sure.

I also think that how much a fish "likes" a particular feed may dictate whether it will come to the surface in borderline temperatures--like in the 50-55 F degree range. Most of this is speculation, but when fish that start out all the same, and are grown in identical tanks with identical water and identical temperatures, and you've got fish in one tank hammering pellets off the top in 52 degree water, and fish in the other tank just barely blipping the pellets, maybe you're on to something.

One thing I do know is that high quality feeds make bluegill grow a lot, even in really cool water.

Perhaps it would be informative to to switch feeds for the fish (or strains of fish) and see if Mr. Finicky started hogging out when put on the super mystery feed.

Although you might just run into the feed change problem Eric and I discussed above.
Great question.

I'm not sure.

Perhaps it would be informative to to switch feeds for the fish (or strains of fish) and see if Mr. Finicky started hogging out when put on the super mystery feed.

Although you might just run into the feed change problem Eric and I discussed above.

Already did it.

Interesting results.
If we have to wait another 7 pages to found out what they were, I'm betting the "over" on this thread.
Posted By: DJT Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 03:10 AM
I think Bruce is holding back details for a upcoming article.
OVER and OUT!.
Posted By: jakeb Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 03:47 AM
DJT I suspect the same
To be honest with you, I'm not entirely sure what the feed is that got the 3rd bluegill to grow so big. It's experimental and I'm not privy to all the details.

I'm just trying to generate a little excitement. ;\)
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 03:58 AM
Color me excited. I'll take a dozen of whatever it is...double secret probation pellets?
Posted By: davatsa Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 04:03 AM
Well if other folks have similar results, the creator of that feed is sitting on a gold mine!

The results speak for themselves...I'd buy it and try it.
To be honest with you, I'm not entirely sure what the feed is that got the 3rd bluegill to grow so big. It's experimental and I'm not privy to all the details.

That amount of growth is okay, just as long as it doesn't taste like Grandma.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 05:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: DJT
I think Bruce is holding back details for a upcoming article.

I third that!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 07:47 PM
I think the feed for the third larger fish is a low fat high protein feed and in testing phases.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/24/09 08:14 PM
The funked-up internal organs of the middle fish are disturbing.
Posted By: DJT Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/25/09 01:21 AM

That amount of growth is okay, just as long as it doesn't taste like Grandma.

Theo you are thinking of Tomacco. ;\)
Nine month old fish that have been raised on 3 different feeds.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/29/09 07:58 PM
I dig your new signature line Mabro!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
Posted By: davatsa Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/29/09 08:23 PM

Posted By: davatsa Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/29/09 08:39 PM

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

There went lunch.

Contact Piketon?

Actually Bruce if your really want fast growing perch mine are pretty quick growing after selective breeding for 30 generations by a couple of folks in Ohio of the next to the latest was Bill Lynch of Marysville, Ohio is the master at perch production. (Same line Bill Cody has)They're originally from Lake Erie.

I believe it's more than 40 percent above standard rates as I can produce perch some of them up to 8 inches by the end of October. I wonder how big they'd get if kept indoors in the winter? Only trouble is the testing fees or just under about $300.00 to send them to you. And unfortunately I'm not producing any perch this year due to that pond being used to hold fish until the big pond gets repaired.

If I get enough interested parties next year to cover the testing I could be interested in shipping out some fingerling yellow perch.
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I think the feed for the third larger fish is a low fat high protein feed and in testing phases.

Maybe low carbs too or high protein low carbs?
Do you notice a taste difference when eating fish due to what you feed them? That would determine what I feed the fish.

Jonesy
 Originally Posted By: angolajones
Do you notice a taste difference when eating fish due to what you feed them? That would determine what I feed the fish.

Jonesy

That's a valid question, but I haven't tried eating them yet. I'm sure I'll eventually get to that.

I do know for certain however that the fish that I've raised in the past on Aquamax are delicious.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/31/09 02:41 AM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Contact Piketon?

Actually Bruce if your really want fast growing perch mine are pretty quick growing after selective breeding for 30 generations by a couple of folks in Ohio of the next to the latest was Bill Lynch of Marysville, Ohio is the master at perch production. (Same line Bill Cody has)They're originally from Lake Erie.

I believe it's more than 40 percent above standard rates as I can produce perch some of them up to 8 inches by the end of October. I wonder how big they'd get if kept indoors in the winter? Only trouble is the testing fees or just under about $300.00 to send them to you. And unfortunately I'm not producing any perch this year due to that pond being used to hold fish until the big pond gets repaired.

If I get enough interested parties next year to cover the testing I could be interested in shipping out some fingerling yellow perch.

Cecil - I am in...will you keep me on your list when things clarify? A perch with your and Bill's recommendation is all I needed to hear.
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Contact Piketon?

Cecil - I am in...will you keep me on your list when things clarify? A perch with your and Bill's recommendation is all I needed to hear.

O.K. as long as I get enough people to help pay for the testing.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/31/09 03:21 AM
I betcha Bruce would be down too...and Shorty may have his land and ponds done by then...?
Posted By: P. Buckley Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 03/31/09 04:08 AM
Bruce I saw the camels itching the other day. They look like they are really infested. When are we going to find out the facts? Next issue? By the way that stuff from the vet for fleas will not work in these guys. They have been carefully selected over several generations, putting only the biggest and the fastest growing back on the camels and the other ones culled.
found this old post on a google search. Is this secret food that grew the huge BG in this post the same secret food that has resurfaced in some newer threads this summer? Has it been in development since 2009?

Are we ready to release details or allow others to order it?

Bruce have you continued to use this same fish food?
Posted By: NEDOC Re: Three bluegill--three different feeds - 09/08/15 09:39 PM
Glad this got bumped! I was off the board for a few years and missed this.
© Pond Boss Forum