Pond Boss
Posted By: MarkECIN Blue Gill in Indiana - 03/10/09 11:23 PM
The weather is getting nice the, pond is full and beautiful and I got the fever and am thinking ahead. Noted on the TV with our Pond Boss and Purina Mills, I should get some Blue Gill (not Hybrid as I have enough of those). What are some recommended fisheries close to mid central Indiana that carry regular blue gill and what size (I would think I need them big otherwise they become bait and I know, they'll become bait anyway. \:D )

P.S. I am just getting over the worse case of vertigo I ever had (5 days and emergency room twice, any of you ever got that nastiness?). And, NO, I've never been drunk so I cannot tell you if felt like that but am told it is.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Blue Gill in Indiana - 03/11/09 01:39 AM
What size bass are currently present in your pond? A largemouth can eat a bluegill up to about 33% of its own size and maybe even up to 40%... So if the largest bass in your pond is say 16". You'd want bluegills 6" or so in size. That would guarantee they don't go straight into the bellies of your bass... So do the math and that will give you a rough minimum size to stock to prevent predation on your BG stockers.

Not sure on sources in the immediate central Idiana area for full strain BG.
Posted By: MarkECIN Re: Blue Gill in Indiana - 03/11/09 02:08 AM
Bass were running about 16" last summer. Ouch $$$$$sss straight to bellies--no want that (grin). Ok, thanks, now I just need a good source nearby.
© Pond Boss Forum