Pond Boss
Posted By: AaronM YOY SMB - 07/21/08 03:48 AM
Just had to share a few pics of my YOY SMB that I took with my cell. Yes my water is about 93 degrees... Yes my SMB are growing.. yes they feed trained themselves... and yes, they're recruiting..

First full year, they spawned a few months ago. They have a super dark line on the back of their tail.. I'm catching a few of them and moving them to an area where they won't face predation from my smb or lmb.

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: YOY SMB - 07/21/08 03:57 AM
Dang! You weren't kidding!! That's pretty amazing. Do you realize how much those things are worth around here? At that size they're already worth 3 bucks each.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: YOY SMB - 07/21/08 12:53 PM
They sure are growing, Aaron!! Thanks for posting the pics.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: YOY SMB - 07/21/08 01:47 PM
So much for the idea that they are a cold water fish. Pretty neat Aaron.
Posted By: ewest Re: YOY SMB - 07/21/08 01:51 PM
Great job - or should I direct that to the SMB or both. Thanks for the pics and update.
Posted By: AaronM Re: YOY SMB - 07/21/08 02:06 PM
Thanks. Wasn't planning on this happening so all these guys swimming around are a bit light on food. Thinking of putting them into a RAS and trying to feed train them - assuming it's the same as with lmb. Some of the adults just picked it up, but I don't think all of them did. Would feed training them with small BG be helpful if I don't have the density of smb to create a lot of competition?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: YOY SMB - 07/21/08 05:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: AaronM
Thanks. Wasn't planning on this happening so all these guys swimming around are a bit light on food. Thinking of putting them into a RAS and trying to feed train them - assuming it's the same as with lmb. Some of the adults just picked it up, but I don't think all of them did. Would feed training them with small BG be helpful if I don't have the density of smb to create a lot of competition?

I suspect that the perfect situation for feed training would involve the following, all of which you have.

1. Clear, clean water.

2. Limited availability of other food resources.

3. Bluegill, or other easily feed trained fish to model after.

Sounds to me like you've got a really good situation.
© Pond Boss Forum