Pond Boss
Posted By: azteca Frog for Bass. - 07/25/22 03:49 PM
Hello.

I would like to know if there are members who collect frog eggs to hach them in a small pond, so that they become thousands of frogs at different times since they don't spawn at the same time for Bass and Perch.

I started this this year.
I would like to compare, there is very little information on the Net.
A+
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Frog for Bass. - 07/25/22 04:08 PM
Could you keep a few pairs of brooder frogs in an aquarium/terrarium set-up?

Perhaps you can run an "azteca" experiment and manipulate the temperature and photoperiod of the frogs and induce them to lay eggs at particular dates that are on a different schedule than your natural pond frog schedule?

P.S. Do your bass and perch eat the tadpoles or the small frogs? What type of frog are you using for your forage?

Good luck on your project!
Posted By: Snipe Re: Frog for Bass. - 07/25/22 07:12 PM
I have millions of leopard frog tadpoles every year in my small forage pond but only see a few adult frogs after they morph. There is sure no abundance of terrestrial frogs. I think there is a lot of cannibalism that happens.
Posted By: azteca Re: Frog for Bass. - 07/25/22 07:26 PM
Hello.

What fish do you have in your forage pond.
A+
Posted By: azteca Re: Frog for Bass. - 07/25/22 11:51 PM
Hello.

Where there are fish, tadpoles have not many chance to become frogs.

If there are turtles, a turtle can eat in a few hours all the production of a year.

If there are already tadpole in my small pond and if I want to put other eggs, I have to put them in a box with mosquito nets otherwise the eggs will be eaten, I practice.

For cannibalism, it will be necessary to see what percentage I can accept.
A+
Posted By: Snipe Re: Frog for Bass. - 07/26/22 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by azteca
Hello.

What fish do you have in your forage pond.
A+
Red shiner, FHM, BNM and PK shrimp.
© Pond Boss Forum