Pond Boss
Posted By: Brad346 So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 02:04 AM
So I always knew my new pond would get green sunfish. These were the result of about 10 minutes worth of fishing in the pond above.

There are definitely a few adult GSF in the new pond. There are thousands of FHM. I’m seeing lots of sunfish fry, and the older they get, the more sure I am they are GSF. Mouths are pretty big.

I had hoped to get BG and maybe YP established before the GSF got established, but the stock truck never showed. Not to be. So now what?

I still want BG. I would love yellow perch. Will they be able to get established with the GSF already ahead of the game?

Some more picture.

The cattails are getting ahead of me, but the bulrush I have established is doing great.

The juniper and sage in the pond have died, but are making great cover.
Posted By: RStringer Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 02:32 AM
I have nothing to add on the fish side. But I say you have a view to die for there. Looks like a post card.
Posted By: Shorty Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 02:45 AM
Stock BG and larger 4-6" YP this fall, the BG will eventually outbreed the GSF and produce a good crop of hybrids. I would be tempted to stock SMB this fall as well then wait at least a year before adding LMB.
Posted By: Brad346 Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 06:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Shorty
Stock BG and larger 4-6" YP this fall, the BG will eventually outbreed the GSF and produce a good crop of hybrids. I would be tempted to stock SMB this fall as well then wait at least a year before adding LMB.

I would love to add SMB, but they are not allowed here. HSB are not allowed, yet. Holding my breath.
Posted By: Brad346 Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 06:53 AM
Originally Posted By: RStringer
I have nothing to add on the fish side. But I say you have a view to die for there. Looks like a post card.

Thanks. It is a lot of work, but at times post card worthy.
Posted By: Brad346 Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 06:56 AM
The best I can hope for so far is this year’s yoy BG next spring. No line on YP yet.
Posted By: MOFishermen Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 12:01 PM
I am not an expert on stocking strategies but had a similar issue this year. GSF already in the lake that I stocked with BG as grow out pond. I have found the BG have reduced the number of small or YOY GSF. I also have found a clover leaf trap is really good at removing the GSF. I get about 15-25 each time. It might not be enough but it makes me feel better!

Beautiful place you have. Good luck
Posted By: jpsdad Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 02:32 PM
Brad, I want to say that is Uncompahgre Peak in the background. If so, then I have a good sense of where you are located. Where I am thinking get's COLD with lots of ice in the winter. If so, then I could see where the GSF might have an advantage over BG.
Posted By: Brad346 Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 03:08 PM
The peak in the background is Castle Rock, one of about 5 in Colorado. I’m near Crawford, CO. Really a cool water environment, but most of your cool water species are restricted because of endangered fish in the lower Colorado River.
Posted By: Shorty Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 03:21 PM
What will they let you stock?
Posted By: Snipe Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Brad346
The best I can hope for so far is this year’s yoy BG next spring. No line on YP yet.

Brad, send me a PM.. You are very close to some super YP genetics.
Posted By: Brad346 Re: So, GSF, most likely, so now what. - 09/02/19 07:42 PM
Shorty, LMB, BC, YP, CC, BG, and FHM. Triploid Grass carp with screening.
Nice looking GSF. I wouldn't worry about them. Lusk sez that 95+ % of all the eggs laid, hatched etc will be eaten before reaching 1 YOA. Bluegills out compete them.
© Pond Boss Forum