Pond Boss
Posted By: Dinsmoreoutdoors Mosquitofish and FHM question??? - 10/25/15 11:40 AM
I was wondering can FHM and mosquitofish aka gambusia both can be put in the same pond or is it more of you can only have one or the other?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Mosquitofish and FHM question??? - 10/25/15 12:08 PM
You might find this thread of interest...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19122
Posted By: esshup Re: Mosquitofish and FHM question??? - 10/25/15 03:35 PM
I've seen ponds were both were in them. Once predators were added, the Gams outlasted the FHM by a couple of years, but both were wiped out. Maybe if there was more habitat in the pond specifically for the smaller forage fish they might have lasted longer, but I think that would also take constant water levels for the whole year too. Or at least water levels that didn't fluctuate more than 6" to a foot.
Posted By: stickem' Re: Mosquitofish and FHM question??? - 10/25/15 07:07 PM
DO,
I have had both FHM and Gambusia minnows in my pond. I also have some golden shiners as well. The FHM and Gambusia were very prolific until the preds showed up this summer. The FHM 's were the first to go for the most part. I was up at the farm yesterday. Not many of either can be seen in the shallows. LMB and GSF have taken care of that issue. I don't expect to see any minnows next spring, but I guess they did their job. The preds will have to rely on BG and GSF spawn at that time.
stickem '
I stocked both in my pond back in feb and started with a clean slate ,, have millions of both now but the only predators i have is a couple hundred catfish and 172 bluegill

I was amazed at how fast the Gambusia minnows reproduced and now they out number the FM .
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Mosquitofish and FHM question??? - 10/26/15 01:08 AM
IMHO and I am not a pro...I suspect your Gams have been using new hatched FHM as forage. As far as I know, FHM (egg layers) produce way more new spawn than Gams that are live bearers.
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
IMHO and I am not a pro...I suspect your Gams have been using new hatched FHM as forage. As far as I know, FHM (egg layers) produce way more new spawn than Gams that are live bearers.
i figure your right ,,,dont think i can do anything about that other than enjoy what i have and dont sweat the small stuff
© Pond Boss Forum