Pond Boss
Posted By: x101airborne Hello - 12/02/22 12:53 PM
Hello everyone.
My name is Trey Meyer and an internet buddy suggested I register here.
I operate just under 1k acres of my Father's property for cattle and hunting.
We have 10 ponds we maintain for cattle to drink from and to provide food and recreation when we want it.
Biggest pond is 8 acres, three are around 5 acres and the rest are little acre to acre and a half watering holes.
I am excited to be here. I know I have a lot of reading to do before asking the same questions over and over again and I look forward to making friends with you all.
Everyone have a great day.
Trey
Posted By: Flame Re: Hello - 12/02/22 02:14 PM
Yoakum, Texas?? My family is from Shiner ,Texas and my aunt worked in Yoakum at Tandy Leather for years and years! Welcome to pond boss from deep east Texas!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Hello - 12/02/22 02:57 PM
Welcome to Pond Boss, Trey!!

Your place sounds like heaven!!
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Hello - 12/03/22 12:11 AM
Howdy, Trey!

Everything HAS to be bigger in Texas.

There are people on the forum that actively manage ponds in the range of 0.1 - 0.25 acres with impressive productivity. Your "little" ponds are pretty big to many of us!

Do your hunting operations include duck hunting? If not, that would be a productive use for the shallowest/weediest pond.

Your 1 - 1.5 acre ponds could quickly provide some trophy bass, bluegill, or catfish production in a few years with some good management and adding some feeders.

Think of some goals for your ponds and start a new thread for some expert responses you will really appreciate! (And probably a few off-topic comments or questions from that idiot FishinRod that they allow to post on the forum. grin)

Good luck on your future pond projects!
Posted By: x101airborne Re: Hello - 12/03/22 03:43 AM
Yessir. Home of Tandy Leather and used to be the Leather Capitol of the World. (Sigh), sadly that was long ago.
Now just a finger of the old "Chisolm Trail". My Father owns the old town of "Bovine". Clearing out a creek we found the grist mill gears and a mill stone. "Bovine" was the town built before the railroad moved through and the town moved about 4 miles. One of our dammed off creeks is the original creek that fed Bovine.

I am a big history buff and love the sound of running water and chirpin bugs.
Posted By: x101airborne Re: Hello - 12/03/22 03:46 AM
Till you gotta fix the fence. Then it aint. LOL
Posted By: x101airborne Re: Hello - 12/03/22 03:59 AM
Yessir. We manage for ducks but we dont hunt them because we cant stand the taste of the oily mud duck (stuff off the bottom of your boot) tasting puddlers we commonly get. When the Teal move through we do a lot of pond jumping. Those are some good eating till we find out what we are doing wrong with the others. We dont commonly get Mallards or many of the "highland" ducks and Redheads, the good eating ducks. We do get quite a few of Whistle Ducks but we dont shoot them. We actually have a few that will come to corn every so often.

We keep Cattails to control erosion and to give the ducks a place to bed. It makes my Mother happy to see them fly up and circle back around.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Hello - 12/03/22 10:35 PM
Managing ponds purely for "nature", rather than for "game", is performed by many of the members on the forum.

Those are actually some of my favorite posts to read!
Posted By: esshup Re: Hello - 12/04/22 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by x101airborne
Yessir. We manage for ducks but we dont hunt them because we cant stand the taste of the oily mud duck (stuff off the bottom of your boot) tasting puddlers we commonly get. When the Teal move through we do a lot of pond jumping. Those are some good eating till we find out what we are doing wrong with the others. We dont commonly get Mallards or many of the "highland" ducks and Redheads, the good eating ducks. We do get quite a few of Whistle Ducks but we dont shoot them. We actually have a few that will come to corn every so often.

We keep Cattails to control erosion and to give the ducks a place to bed. It makes my Mother happy to see them fly up and circle back around.

Gadwalls are good on the table.
Posted By: CrazyCarl Re: Hello - 12/04/22 08:02 PM
Hey Trey! Glad to see you made it over this way.
Posted By: x101airborne Re: Hello - 12/07/22 04:37 PM
Yeah man! Thanks for showing me the way!
© Pond Boss Forum