Pond Boss
Posted By: 1997pond First steps and next steps? - 02/28/21 03:33 PM
Purchased property with pond near Richmond VA and I would appreciate heklp putting together a plan. Ultimately, I want to have a healthy fisging pond wih (ideally) bluegill and LMB.

The pond has been ignored for at least the last 20 years. No maintenance and no history on stocking or fishing. I've already contracted with a professional (and consulted with an engineer) on the removal of the trees on dam which was the only major strucutural issue- so need assistance needed there unless anyone wants to send donations... wink

The pond stats:
- 0.6 acres
- Avg depth of 8-9 ft with 12 ft at deepest
- Almost no shallow water - within 1-2 ft of banks water is 3-5 deep and is at avg within a few additional feet
- Fed by drainage that runs through about 6 acres of forest (no livestock, farmland, etc.)

Some observations:
- I've only seen the pond in the winter months (late Dec -Feb)
- I have only fished in once in Jan for 1-2 hours and caught 4 small LMB- all were 8-11" (pic of "biggest" attached)
- I did try for bluegill and catfish but no takers
- Water clarity is about one foot
- No sign of any vegetation or remains around edges (seems normal given the clarity and depth)

The sellers of the property did disclose they treated the pond with Pond Clear but did not share any details on timing, amount, or rationale. Given the lack of any maintenace (or discernable expertise) and the fact that the property went on the market in the Fall where treatment would likely do little, not sure this is pertinent.

My last note is that I do want to do aeration, but it will be 1-2 years before I build and have access to electrical power to support so that is not an immediate option.

Mike

Attached picture IMG_8347.jpg
Attached picture Arial map pond - google.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: First steps and next steps? - 02/28/21 05:09 PM
When you say access to electric, do you mean on-site or at the pond?
Posted By: 1997pond Re: First steps and next steps? - 02/28/21 05:16 PM
No electric on property yet. Dominion Power can do a temporary hook-up next to transformer, but that is 900ft from pond and I'm not willing to run a line that distance. The voltage drop over that distance might be too much regardless.
Posted By: esshup Re: First steps and next steps? - 02/28/21 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by 1997pond
No electric on property yet. Dominion Power can do a temporary hook-up next to transformer, but that is 900ft from pond and I'm not willing to run a line that distance. The voltage drop over that distance might be too much regardless.

No need to do a temp hook up, no need to run power to the pond. You can trench (if you can) in a 1" black poly tube like they use for going from a well casing to the bladder tanks and pump air through that. Tie that into a manifold distribution box at the edge of the pond and run your self sink line out from that box to the air stations. Much cheaper than running electric. We've run air to ponds that way for 3/4 mile (although we used 1 1/4" tubing).
Posted By: 1997pond Re: First steps and next steps? - 02/28/21 06:03 PM
Clever. I'll give that a look. I am buidling a home in the next 1-2 years which will be near the pond. Once the building begins, Dominon Power will, at no charge, run power to the house and I'll have easier access. I had been thinking that I'd wait for the easier access before starting, but I like your approach.
© Pond Boss Forum