Pond Boss
Posted By: Chandler1 Newbie for second time from Texas! - 07/20/20 12:04 AM
Hello!

I was on this site about 7 years ago with a small pond that was so much fun that after moving to a new home 6 weeks ago, we decided to do it again! This will be another small pond right in our back yard. It was just dug this weekend and is about 50 ft x 60 ft wide and 9 feet deep.

When we dug the pond in our other house (about the same size), all we did was dig it, fill it with water, put in a fountain for aeration and called the fishery with our measurements and they brought out the fish. We fed with floating fish food and were so excited to see the nibbles on the surface of the water.

Amazingly, it was all a success! Of course, this site was a tremendous help. I'm just a 69 year old grandmother with no experience, so you guys were wonderful. We fished the pond for about 5 years before moving. What fun for grandchildren and friends.

So here we are again! I am very nervous that this won't be the success that the first one was. I've attached a photo and short pan of the hole. My husband's cousin has an earth moving and excavation business so he dug the hole. I am so ignorant about the "language" so forgive me. He spent a lot of time surveying the land so the pond will catch run off when it rains. He built a spill way and dam and shelf all around. To the left of the photo is a large pile of rocks from when they cleared the lot for the house. They are large sandstone rocks I have been saving for the pond and to place around our yard. Doing anything will be difficult with the size of the rocks and the steep sides of the hole (steep and deep at my request so don't blame the one that did the digging). I would love some suggestions.

I would also like some "next steps" advise. Our cousin said the soil had plenty of clay and should hold water. We didn't put a liner in the other pond, but we had a well and pumped water in regularly to keep it full. We don't have a well this time. That will be a big water bill if we fill it with the water hose. And a question about aeration. Waterfall, bubbler or fountain? Solar?

That's enough for now. I need to reduce the size of the photos before I can add the pictures.

Thank you!

Janan

Attached picture Chandler pond.png
Welcome back Grandma. I have pictures of my grown grandchildren fishing mine when they were just out of diapers. From an aeration perspective the "bubbler" is the best. The other 2 are more picturesque but don't help much. I tell everyone that they are like racehorses and beauty contest winners. Nice to look at but don't do a lick of work.

Next steps? Try coming up with a rain dance that works. You'll make a fortune.

BTW, there is an entire area here on aeration.
Posted By: Chandler1 Re: Newbie for second time from Texas! - 07/20/20 01:16 PM
Thank you, Dave! What size/power bubbler?
Check with Kelly Duffie on that. I've never installed one due to lack of electricity at my ponds.
© Pond Boss Forum