Pond Boss
Posted By: Dam'dWaters new pond - trophy creek chubs - 10/05/17 03:41 PM
Hey everybody, Long time viewer/reader - first time poster.

I built a pond last year (Sept-Oct 2016). About 6 to 7/10ths of an acre. I think it turned out great. I'll send pics when I figure that out. It's actually a dam'd stream which provides a constant trickle up to a pretty good flow in the spring and when it rains. I've stocked it with the a pretty typical mix of BG, RES, HBG, LMB, YP, and a lot of FHM on the recommendations of a local guru.

Everything seems to be going well, but I have a question/concern re: some common creek chubs that are from the existing stream (probably) or came along for the ride with some of the stockers (I'd hope not). Anyway, I've been throwing a line in the water recently to see what's in there. I've recently caught some nice 7-8" YP that started as 3"ers in May. Happy with that, but I've also caught several "trophy chubs" in the 8-10" range. They'd be great if my LMBs were big enough to eat them, but from what I've read they are pretty good eaters. I've been throwing out the big ones because I don't see the value of their reproduction outweighing the amount of forage they steal from my stocked fish. Am I right or wrong??? I trust you guys can tell me what to do. Thanks in advance.

Posted By: fish n chips Re: new pond - trophy creek chubs - 10/05/17 04:08 PM
My experience is they make excellent forage for LMB. I wouldn't worry one bit about them. Sure they might be to big for the LMB now, but in a year or two, the larger LMB will enjoy them. As far as them using feed, well eventually they will be consumed by a bigger LMB, and the feed is not wasted then. Meanwhile they "might" breed and provide little sized forage for the young bass.

I have creek chubs in a separate area of the farm, and when I use one for bait it in my pond, it never fails that I catch something. Great bait/forage....
© Pond Boss Forum