Pond Boss
Posted By: Hog Basser Arkansas Pond Owner - 05/10/16 02:17 PM
Hello,

Born and raised in Arkansas. Love bass fishing and duck hunting. We run a few farm and ranch operations with smaller ponds and have a hunting and fishing property with several larger fishing lakes. I'm here to learn more in-depth knowledge about pond management. I've done a lot of research already and read plenty of Bob Lusk's articles through Bassresource.com. I'm currently looking for a few answers on an established 53 acre fishing lake which, if I don't find them here already, I will post a new thread soon.

My goal is to grow trophy LMB in this 53 acre lake which we just acquired a year ago. I've heard rumors of the previous owners pulling out double-digits, but have yet to go above 6 lbs. myself after one year, but not as many fishing trips as I would like.

I've kept a log of my catch with conditions, weight and length and will continue to do so to monitor the health of my fish population.

Known Species in my lake include:
LMB
Bluegill
Gizzard Shad
Channel Cat
Blue Cat (not confirmed yet)
Bowfin (not killed out from original slough before lake built)
Grass carp
Crappie
Posted By: RC51 Re: Arkansas Pond Owner - 05/10/16 02:32 PM
Hog whats up and welcome!! I have a small place in Batesville with a pond where abouts you at if you don't mind me asking. Oh and welcome to the PBF I am sure you will get some of your answers if you be patient. We have a lot of very intelligent folks out here that can help you out I'm sure!!

Your goal is large LMB and that's sweet!! In 53 acres though they may be there you just haven't got one yet!! Are your RW's in the right area. You say you kept a log of length and weight what percentage of your fish are in the 90 + RW category? Ones that are not need to be taken out.

Can you do s shock survey that would tell you a lot about what you do or don't have and get you some great RW's too.

Others will be along soon, Good to here from ya!

RC
Posted By: Hog Basser Re: Arkansas Pond Owner - 05/10/16 03:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome RC!

So far, 34% of my LMB are 90+. I'm actively culling out non-conformers, especially in the 10-15 inch range. I have about 10% over 100 so far. I agree they could be out there and I'm definitely looking for them!

My lake is outside Stuttgart, but I'm in Fort Smith. Understandably, I can't get out there as much as I'd like to, but take every opportunity.

I'd eventually like to do a shock survey. Needs to be a small boat that can bounce of stumps though, that sucker is so stumpy it's like playing plinko with your boat!
Posted By: RC51 Re: Arkansas Pond Owner - 05/10/16 08:07 PM
Ohhhhh so you have a mini lake Conway then. LOL!! Sounds like your RWs are pretty close on then. Hopefully someone will chime in and give you some direction... I know GS and TFS are used a lot when trying to raise big LMB but how and how many I have no idea... Good Luck man Keep us posted.

RC
Posted By: Lunkhead Re: Arkansas Pond Owner - 02/06/23 02:08 AM
I use to do anesthesia at Stuttgart. I am in Jonesboro. AR. Nice to see someone else from Arkansas. Those ponds should produce. Are the muck like mine? If so you make want to get a layer of gravel down along the North side. It my make the spanners easier to find.
© Pond Boss Forum