Pond Boss
Posted By: Nicole Martin New to forum - 09/28/15 04:54 AM
Hey!

I am new to this forum! I want to learn a lot from this community about ponds maintenance and also i will share my experiences with this community. Hope this community will be more beneficial for me.

Thanks Everyone.
Posted By: FINnFUR Re: New to forum - 09/28/15 10:56 AM
Well - welcome aboard lot of good info here.
Posted By: Nicole Martin Re: New to forum - 10/01/15 05:32 AM
Thanks a lot for your welcome!
Posted By: RAH Re: New to forum - 10/01/15 09:56 AM
Tell us about your interest in ponds. Do you have a pond now? Are you planning one?
Posted By: Nicole Martin Re: New to forum - 10/01/15 12:37 PM
I am going to plan a backyard pond in which i want to keep koi fishes. Please share your cool ideas about backyard pond to me.
Thanks
Posted By: esshup Re: New to forum - 10/01/15 01:17 PM
My backyard pond is around an acre in size. wink
Posted By: RAH Re: New to forum - 10/01/15 01:25 PM
My first was a cement pond that we made in our very small back yard with goldfish in it. My second pond was built on our farm and was about 15 feet by 6 feet. I filled that one in when we had our first big pond built which is over an acre. Big things take time, and I enjoyed each project.
Posted By: Nicole Martin Re: New to forum - 10/06/15 12:51 PM
Thanks a lot for sharing your ideas. I am going to plan a small backyard pond with full of koi fishes, i will show you photos when i will made that.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: New to forum - 10/06/15 02:01 PM
Nicole - a small pond full of koi or any other fish will require extensive water filtration. Lots of fish will produce lots of manure that can ruin water quality. The more the fish grow the more manure they produce thus more filtration that is needed to clean the water. Ideally the pond filter should be as big or bigger than the actual 'lily' pond containing the fish IF you want clear water. A fish that grows twice as big produces about 3 times more waste as when that fish was 1/2 smaller. Waste increases as the fish grows larger remember that. Install a filter that is much oversized when you build the pond and you will have fewer problems and water quality issues as the fish grow. Too many fish will be your demise and you will recognize it when your water turns cloudy.
Posted By: RAH Re: New to forum - 10/06/15 02:11 PM
Bill - We kept goldfish in a cement pond in the backyard for years without filtration. We did pipe roof runoff to the pond. The fish did great and reproduced. We kept potted plants in the pond as well.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: New to forum - 10/06/15 03:31 PM
Goldfish are not koi and do not get a big as koi thus goldfish do not produce the same amount of waste products per fish as a koi. Your situation was near a balanced situation. Potted plants are biofilters. A small pond "full of koi" is never a balanced situation unless there is a huge amount of some sort of water filtration.

Goldfish in normal conditions do not roil the water as bad as koi(carp). Goldfish and carp feed differently. Carp typically feed in the bottom with their snout into the sediment up to their eyes. Pond conditions and habitat can be a lot different between two ponds with different fish species and amount of body biomass. A fish pond can never have too much filtration but it can easily have too little filtration. When ever small fish ponds have water quality or clarity problems it is almost always due to too little or inadequate filtration.
Posted By: RAH Re: New to forum - 10/06/15 04:26 PM
I was unaware of the differences between goldfish and koi behavior.
© Pond Boss Forum