Pond Boss
I just built a pond that will be about 1 1/4 acres. It is a little over half full with the deepest. area about 7'. I am located north of Houston TX and my water is very muddy because of the clay bottom and banks. I just stocked 1000 bluegill 3"-5"; 100 bluegills 6"+: 20 lbs of flat head minnows and 20 lbs. of golden shiners. All came from Overton Hatchery. The bluegill were being fed pellets so I assumed they would eat pellets in my pond but I haven't seen one fish come to the pellets. Is that normal for winter time or do I have something to worry about?
Call Todd and ask for his thoughts and advice.

Actually, they are probably trying to get acclimated to their new home and should start eating.
It’s not too cold. I tossed out pellets South of Bowie today and they came to feed.
Thanks, I have been feeding them by hand. I guess I should start my feeder and try feeding once a day for a second and see if I can get some action.
If the water temp. is 50F or higher then feed - a little. Probably a yes in your area. Keep trying and post results. They will be more active on warm sunny days.
I have found over the four years my pond has been active that the feeding aggression is directly tied to the water temperature. The warmer the water, the more active the feeding. Also my Bluegill tend to wait until the pellets soften up a bit before they can swallow them. You will notice as the water warms, the Bluegill will inhale a pellet. only to expel. As the pellets soften, the fish retain the feed. My water temps in middle Tennessee are too cold for any feeding activity right now so I have shut off the feeder until spring.
Not sure if all shiner species act the same, but my spotfin shiners still are eager for feed even in cold temps. They don't attack it with gusto like in the dog days of summer, but the optimal feed in the BG JR size will bring them in anytime there is open water. We have had a strange winter with a couple blizzards but rapid thaws and most of Dec and Jan so far little ice or no ice on the pond. Of course this winter I don't have any more optimal on hand but it would be ideal to keep them fed all winter. I love how they seem to truly be a 4 season fish in my pond.
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
Not sure if all shiner species act the same, but my spotfin shiners still are eager for feed even in cold temps. They don't attack it with gusto like in the dog days of summer, but the optimal feed in the BG JR size will bring them in anytime there is open water. We have had a strange winter with a couple blizzards but rapid thaws and most of Dec and Jan so far little ice or no ice on the pond. Of course this winter I don't have any more optimal on hand but it would be ideal to keep them fed all winter. I love how they seem to truly be a 4 season fish in my pond.

ppsssttt, Optimal still ships fish food in the winter! grin
Bonefish, what brand and size feed are you using? Where did you have to purchase it? It will take a few days to see feeding activity but I would advise feeding same time each day. You stocked a good bit larger bluegill than I did. I believe mine were only one inch when Overtons delivered them to my 2 acre pond. Took mine almost a week before I noticed any feeding. Been almost 8 years I believe and I still feed every day! As others have said...they are feeding pretty slow right now but...I even have fry along the banks right now! Did you get coppernose bluegill or native bluegill? For reference I am in deep east Texas very near the Louisiana border.
Bonefish
I see where you said your pond is very muddy. That also plays a part in the feeding process. Adding ag lime will help with clarity as will time. Take a sample to Overtons and they can tell whether or not you need lime. I added 6 tons of lime and it cleared up in 4-6 months
Well, they finally found the pellets and are feeding like crazy. My water is still muddy but I'm feeding 3 times a day. I'm feeding a1/4 pellet and they don't seem to be having a problem with them.
© Pond Boss Forum