Pond Boss
Greetings Pond Boss members! I am a new member, and new to the pond world. I have been scouring this site for the last few months learning and gathering information. I would love some suggestions on how I should stock my pond right, the first time. I am located in NW North Carolina. The pond was completed and filled this December. It is about 1.5 acres, and an oval shape. The west side of the pond is roughly 5' deep, and the east side is 10' deep, gradually graded across it. I have three deep holes roughly 8' wide by 15' long arranged in a triangle shape in the center, that are 18'-20' deep. The bottom is mostly river rock and loamy sand. I purposely left the bottom roughly graded with deep dozer tracks throughout to add some terrain, along with some 3'-4' boulders throughout. It is fed by a mountain creek, getting about 170,000 gallons of fresh water per day, and the same exiting through drain pipes. I am originally from Michigan, and YP has always been my favorite pan fish. So my goal with this pond, is to harvest 100-150 lbs of YP per year for eating. Everything else in the pond will be to support that. My thought for stocking was this spring to stock 20lbs GS and 20 lbs FHM. Once they have spawned and have been established, release 400 YP, ranging in size from 3"-8". The following year, I would release a predator fish. I am still on the fence, but I would prefer WE, even though I know they can't reproduce. I am not a fan of eating bass, so SMB and LMB are my least favorite options. I have learned about HSB from here, so if that fish does better in my region it may be an option. Once the forage base and YP are established, I think I would introduce RES and crawfish. I am not opposed to BG, I just don't want them competing with my YP. I have been looking for different fishery options, and I have found these three near me. If there are better sources you know of, I would love a recommendation. I don't mind paying more for a better source that is farther away.
Onely The Best Fingerlings- Hertford, NC
Aurora Fisheries- Aurora NC
Trophy Pond, Hohenwald, TN

Thank you kindly in advance for your time!
If you don't want BG in there, you need to stock RES that are a minimum of 3" in length, 4" minimum is even better. When RES are fingerlings (1-2 inches) they are very difficult to tell apart from Bluegills. I would educate myself on positively IDing the fish and ID every fish by hand before they go into the pond. Call every one of those suppliers and see if they can supply fish that are a MINIMUM of 3" long. If given a size range, make sure that the 3" fish are the minimum size that they will supply. It is very easy to get a few BG mixed in with the RES. Typically it's not a big deal, but if you don't want any BG in the pond, 2 BG could cause problems down the road.

I would make sure that you have spawning habitat in the pond for the YP to spawn on the following Spring of the year and not release a predator until you are sure that the YP have pulled off a successful spawn. You should plan on feeding the YP in the pond a good commercial fish food like Optimal Fish food. They can grow to 14", maybe 15" in your pond with the correct food, and it will take them around 3 years after stocking to get that big.
Welcome to Pond Boss!!!

You've got an interesting project going there. How many Yellow Perch, using an average weight, would you expect to harvest to yield 100-150 lbs/year of Yellow Perch fillets?

I'm just guessing here, but I would think a healthy 14" long YP would produce less than 1/2 pound of meat, probably less.

If you start with (400) original stocker Yellow Perch, it sounds like you might be harvesting several hundred YP each year, after year 2 or 3. Reproduction of YP could occur in Year 2 or 3 depending on size of the YP stockers.

It's almost like you might not want a predator fish in order to produce enough YP for harvest, yet you'd need enough forage to grow the YP to harvest size.
That is great to know! I will definitely look into this. Thank you
Welcome to PB posting.

You will have to manage the pond as the balance mechanism. Feeding will be critical for your goal. YP are known to stunt in the absence of predators (you being the main one). I would stock a few RES early (use adult fish). I would not overstock the GS but lean toward FH while the YP are small. You will need a predator that primarily eats 2–4-inch YP. A few WE might be the right one as you can control #s and size. Same for HSB but they may be able to spawn in your pond given the description of moving water and rock.

See this about HSB spawning in ponds.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=26336&Number=336804#Post336804
Sunil,
Thank you for the response! I can definitely wait a year or more for the predator fish. My only reason to have it is to keep the young YP from stunting. I should have clarified, the 100-150lbs of fish per year would be an eventual goal and was total weight ( i would estimate 150-200 perch). If it took 3-4 years to get that, that is fine. The 100-150lbs was only based on what i have read on pond yields in other articles. Not doing any pellet feeding, i may only ever get to 50-75lbs. But one can hope!
Thank you ewest! Do you think 3-5 WE will do the trick in about a year? Or do i need to introduce them right away with the RES? How many adults, 50? I did not realize the HSB could spawn in such a small pond, that was the only reason i was thinking of them as an option. I was worried about the WE with higher water temps being located farther south. But our temps are not that different than southern MI being in the mountains here, and i have the constant flow of water plus the deep holes.
I wonder if the HSB are the Sunshine or Rainbow cross....Hybrid striped bass generally cannot naturally reproduce, so their numbers depend on the number of fish stocked. In the spring, hybrids may undergo spawning migrations to upstream areas into reservoirs in an attempt to spawn despite being sterile. The average lifespan is between five to six years. The HSB produced at Keo Fish Farm are sterile. The reciprocal, "Sunshine" cross can potentially get non-sterile hybrids, but I'd think it is rare or virtually all lakes and ponds stocked by states would not need restocking
Lot's of good & interesting points coming out here. I'm assuming you are NOT planning to use fish feed; if you did feed, that would open up possibilities, but let's just assume you're not going to feed.

The specific goal of generating and regenerating eating-size Yellow Perch to be harvested presents an interesting challenge. I say this because there may be different & changing 'guidance' for the management of the pond in years 1, 2, 3, and 4, and past that.

Normally, we want to grow certain species of fish into 'large' fish. That means we have to control the population of the target fish species so that a certain subset will grow to large size while not having the overall population of said species to become stunted....hence the role of 'predator' fish. If you are going to take out a few hundred Yellow Perch each year, the main role of the 'predator' fish is somewhat diminished as you'll be taking a lot of the largest Yellow Perch out for consumption. You'll still need the next batch of Yellow Perch to grow to harvest size, so that next size class of YP needs to be in existence, and preferably not stunted so they can grow to potential.

In year 1, assuming a spring '23 stocking, you could start getting fatheads in the pond now, in large quantities, and they'll start spawning by early summer '23. If you found larger YP before May '23, those YP would have been born in Spring '22. If some of those '22-born YP are stunted, you may not see full growth potential there. Any Spring '23-born YP that you can source will be less than 4" by June-ish, and maybe 6-8" by Sept/Oct. '23, if they are feed with either pellets or baitfish. Most likely, if you get '23-born YP, you will not have a in-pond YP Spawn for '23. However, if you get '22-born YP, and get them into your pond before March '23, you might pull off a YP spawn for '23. For '23, you probably won't have desirable YP to harvest for table fare unless many of the stocker YP were in the 8" range when introduced to your pond; if so, your forage base (fatheads) may not be able to fully blow up as an 8" YP can eat a lot of adult fatheads. So, in year 1, if there's no spawn, predator fish would have no beneficial role. If you do pull off a spawn, it would most likely only be because you stocked near-adult YP and then you may have the chance to harvest some in the Fall '23, but again, your forage base may not be exploding.

Year 2 in 2024 should see a YP spawn, and decent potential for harvest, but you do need several hundred '24 YOY YP to survive to be the next harvestable crop. However, I don't see any '24 born YP being really edible until later in '25 and only if you still have an exploding forage base, and perhaps a very controlled predator base; whatever fish you use as a predator species, it will eat on the forage base also.

Year 3, 2025??? Who knows?

I think conventional wisdom says that if you have no type of predator fish, then the Yellow Perch will spawn without any check/control, and that could result in 1,000's of YP spread over the first stocker size class, and then a few smaller classes. So, I'm thinking to go light with predator fish as you can usually add more easily, but you can't easily reduce their numbers. As such, a predator fish with no chance or very small chances of spawning might be best; that would point to HSB and/or Walleye.

If your new YP pull off a spawn in 2023, then I might consider a small predator stocking in the Fall '23 followed by another small predator stocking in Spring '24. If the new YP don't spawn until Spring '24, then I would consider a small predator stocking in Spring '24, and again in Fall '24.

The Redear Sunfish (RES) will help keep snails out of your pond thus reducing grubs in the fish meat you want to eat. Those could go in in the next few months as has been suggested.
Perhaps Setterguy can chime in on how many YP he harvests, at will, per year in a SMB pond I stocked for him several years ago. I stocked 1500 3-6" YP, 20# Fathead Minnow and 25# Golden Shiner. Later we added 100 4-6" SMB. He does use a feeder, throwing Optimal and/or Purina Aquamax, and harvests several 1 pound YP a year and catches smallies in excess of 4 pounds
Yes, that would be a good reference point, Rex.

BCR has said he wasn't leaning towards SMB, so I left that out of the predator suggestions especially as they'll most likely pull off successful spawns year after year.
Rex, I can tell you for sure that Keo HSB will grow eggs and milt. Now even if they were to spawn in the pond, the eggs won't hatch. BUT not to being not fertilized, I don't think there is enough O2 in the water column to keep the eggs alive long enough to hatch. I know of only one pond that has HSB reproducing in it, and that is on a limited basis. Steve pond who owns Stubby Steves.

I think the OP will have a hard time growing enough YP to the size he wants to harvest the 150-200 pounds of YP without artificially feeding. I will bet that the YP will extirpate the Fathead Minnows from the pond by year 2.

If it was my pond and had the same goals, I'd stock the YP, FHM, RES, GSH and 15 WE. Then year 2 or 3, stock 25-50 HSB and use a Texas Hunter throwing Optimal Bluegill for the first year, then switch to a 50/50 mils of Optimal BG and Optimal Bass food. The offspring of the GSH will feed the YP and some of the RES, and the HSB will control any of the adult GSH that start to get overpopulated. You want to have a forage fish in the pond of a size that the brooders can for the most part escape predation. For instance, without a heavy dense weed growth in the pond, LMB can wipe GSH out of a pond, no matter what size they are.
If we use the ratio of 10 lbs of forage fish to 1 lb. of predator weight gain, Then we'd need to be producing approx. 1500 to 2000 lbs of forage fish each year to get 150-200 lbs of YP harvested. Especially with no supplemental feed...
Originally Posted by esshup
Rex, I can tell you for sure that Keo HSB will grow eggs and milt. Now even if they were to spawn in the pond, the eggs won't hatch. BUT not to being not fertilized, I don't think there is enough O2 in the water column to keep the eggs alive long enough to hatch. I know of only one pond that has HSB reproducing in it, and that is on a limited basis. Steve pond who owns Stubby Steves.

I think the OP will have a hard time growing enough YP to the size he wants to harvest the 150-200 pounds of YP without artificially feeding. I will bet that the YP will extirpate the Fathead Minnows from the pond by year 2.

If it was my pond and had the same goals, I'd stock the YP, FHM, RES, GSH and 15 WE. Then year 2 or 3, stock 25-50 HSB and use a Texas Hunter throwing Optimal Bluegill for the first year, then switch to a 50/50 mils of Optimal BG and Optimal Bass food. The offspring of the GSH will feed the YP and some of the RES, and the HSB will control any of the adult GSH that start to get overpopulated. You want to have a forage fish in the pond of a size that the brooders can for the most part escape predation. For instance, without a heavy dense weed growth in the pond, LMB can wipe GSH out of a pond, no matter what size they are.

I disagree on LMB being able to wipe out established Golden Shiners (that have spawning habitat). Golden Shiners are pelagic, and LMB are not. LMB won't/can't eat what they almost never see swimming by. I know the HSB from Keo are supposed to be sterile, yet will become gravid and create milt, but as far as I know, and according to Mike, the eggs are not viable. As to YP with LMB, the LMB are more likely to wipe out the YP, and that was why I stocked Smallmouth in Setterguy's pond, and YP are still thriving after about 8 years now, and as I stated, he does feed high quality pelleted feed in his one acre pond. I'd guess he pulls out 50-75 pounds of YP per year, but 150-200 pounds would simply be unrealistic
I've heard of HSB reproducing with native white bass here, specifically LOZ. Guy that said it, says he's noticed more & more not quite white bass, not quite HSP that almost never revive after being boated, even in cooler weather. His theory/SWAG is that the back crosses are not as healthy/hardy as the native whites & is concerned about it being detrimental to the species.
Originally Posted by Rainman

I disagree on LMB being able to wipe out established Golden Shiners (that have spawning habitat). Golden Shiners are pelagic, and LMB are not. LMB won't/can't eat what they almost never see swimming by. I know the HSB from Keo are supposed to be sterile, yet will become gravid and create milt, but as far as I know, and according to Mike, the eggs are not viable. As to YP with LMB, the LMB are more likely to wipe out the YP, and that was why I stocked Smallmouth in Setterguy's pond, and YP are still thriving after about 8 years now, and as I stated, he does feed high quality pelleted feed in his one acre pond. I'd guess he pulls out 50-75 pounds of YP per year, but 150-200 pounds would simply be unrealistic

Rex, tell that to the LMB in my pond. I stocked 200 8"-11" Golden Shiners and they didn't last a year. At the time they were stocked, I had habitat for the Shiners to spawn on, and I had no HSB in my pond.

Rex, tell that to the LMB in my pond. I stocked 200 8"-11" Golden Shiners and they didn't last a year. At the time they were stocked, I had habitat for the Shiners to spawn on, and I had no HSB in my pond.

I am not surprised they did not last...That was why I said an established Shiner population. It is next to impossible to get Shiners to last in a pond with established bass. You won't find bass wiping out Shiners when shiners were established and reproducing before bass are added...A huge difference between adding a couple hundred shiners that do not know their habitat, and already having 1000's of reproducing adults of all sizes that know their habitat
Refocusing on BCR's goals, is there any way to have a smaller side forage pond for fatheads, or possibly some kind of caged-off area in the main pond to house breeding fatheads?

I'm just exploring any possible paths to get to BCR's goals of a YP-harvest pond.

Using a forage pond is somewhat akin to the sim-world nature of using fish feed. It's not natural, but it can get you where you want to go.
Originally Posted by BCR Pond
Greetings Pond Boss members! I am a new member, and new to the pond world. I have been scouring this site for the last few months learning and gathering information. I would love some suggestions on how I should stock my pond right, the first time. I am located in NW North Carolina. The pond was completed and filled this December. It is about 1.5 acres, and an oval shape. The west side of the pond is roughly 5' deep, and the east side is 10' deep, gradually graded across it. I have three deep holes roughly 8' wide by 15' long arranged in a triangle shape in the center, that are 18'-20' deep. The bottom is mostly river rock and loamy sand. I purposely left the bottom roughly graded with deep dozer tracks throughout to add some terrain, along with some 3'-4' boulders throughout. It is fed by a mountain creek, getting about 170,000 gallons of fresh water per day, and the same exiting through drain pipes. I am originally from Michigan, and YP has always been my favorite pan fish. So my goal with this pond, is to harvest 100-150 lbs of YP per year for eating. Everything else in the pond will be to support that. My thought for stocking was this spring to stock 20lbs GS and 20 lbs FHM. Once they have spawned and have been established, release 400 YP, ranging in size from 3"-8". The following year, I would release a predator fish. I am still on the fence, but I would prefer WE, even though I know they can't reproduce. I am not a fan of eating bass, so SMB and LMB are my least favorite options. I have learned about HSB from here, so if that fish does better in my region it may be an option. Once the forage base and YP are established, I think I would introduce RES and crawfish. I am not opposed to BG, I just don't want them competing with my YP. I have been looking for different fishery options, and I have found these three near me. If there are better sources you know of, I would love a recommendation. I don't mind paying more for a better source that is farther away.
Onely The Best Fingerlings- Hertford, NC
Aurora Fisheries- Aurora NC
Trophy Pond, Hohenwald, TN

Thank you kindly in advance for your time!

Is the mountain stream water near gin "clear"? If so, low fertility water may not support enough planktonic algae and plankton, the base of your food chain required to grow more pounds of fish. I would double the Golden shiner stocking to 40 pounds of 4"+ brooders, with 10-20 pounds of Fatheads, plus 250 Redear per acre all stocked at the same time early in spring, Then next fall, if available, stock 800 Yellow Perch ~4" plus 20 pounds of adult YP over 7" (for a spawn in spring 2024). You could add 10-15 Walleye and 10 Smallmouth Bass 6-8" IF you notice YP are stunting, or if you add Bluegill. Also, if you add bluegill, I'd suggest 10-15 Hybrid Striped Bass and an additional 10 smallmouth as well. If the water is clear, you will almost certainly need to use a quality fish feeder like Texas Hunter, and a very high quality feed like Optimal or Aquamax Grower if you hope to harvest the weights yuo'd like. If the pond water turns a deep, fertile green, you may not "need" the feed, but it would still help! I think your YP will self-limit, cannibalizing the weaker, slower growing YP, and thriving on the Golden Shiner as the primary forage
Originally Posted by Sunil
Refocusing on BCR's goals, is there any way to have a smaller side forage pond for fatheads, or possibly some kind of caged-off area in the main pond to house breeding fatheads?

I'm just exploring any possible paths to get to BCR's goals of a YP-harvest pond.

Using a forage pond is somewhat akin to the sim-world nature of using fish feed. It's not natural, but it can get you where you want to go.

Sunil, that's a possibility, but he'd have to check alkalinity of the water and bring it up over 40, fertilize, have habitat for them to reproduce and have a seine to seine the pond to transfer minnows. Moving enough with minnow traps is like whizzing on a bonfire to put it out.
Understood.

Just trying to spitball potential options towards his goals.
Guys you need to go read the link. HSB can and have reproduced in ponds somewhat like that described. Rock with flowing water and relatively cool water. They are not sterile. See Dave Willis description of functional sterility and the HSB spawning in Stubby's pond. The HSB can also back cross with parentals.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=26336&Number=336804#Post336804

GS in a LMB pond is IMO a 50-50 proposition. I have seen in go wrong in both directions - LMB reproduction completely negated and down through no GS left out of a sustaining population in the other extreme.

Depending on stocking #s and size I would try to use near adult WE (6-10 inches) in year 2. Numbers depending on what else is stocked.
Thank you for all the info so far! This is great. To answer a few of the previous posts. Yes, the water is very clear and clean, but i estimate the holding capacity of the pond about 3.8MM gallons. So i am refreshing less than 5% of the water per day. I had the water tested, and i am sure this will change over time but currently the ph is 7.68 Alkalintiy 87.I can easily slow down the flow if i need more algae growth. As far as the pellet and supplemental feed and treatments, those are a no go. I operate a sustainable organic homestead, so we are very sensitive to anything and everything that goes into our land and subsequently our food. If there are suggestions for supplemental food that i can provide/grow, i am all ears for that. We have plenty of organic material and animal byproduct i could use. I have not heard anything on the crawfish. Would this help our hurt my cause? I can also introduce log/tree habitat for minnows to hide and spawn, but i have read mixed reviews on adding the extra vegetation. Are there any other minnow varieties i should look into besides the GS and the FHM? Based on what everyone has recommended, i think my stocking plan will look as follows

50lbs GS and 50lbs FHM March 2023.
250 RES 4"+ Fall 2023.
500 YP 4'-6" Fall 2023
20 YP (as big as i can buy) Fall 2023
15 "6-8" WE Summer/Fall 2024

Crawfish??
Anyone have better suggestions for sourcing the fish outside of the fisheries i have identified?
From a post by Dave Willis:

Masterbasser posted on 7/10/2006 I have heard that HSB do not spawn. Then I called my state fisheries biologist and asked why they stocked Pure Striped Bass in a 162 acre lake as opposed to HSB. He told me that in NJ they do not stock HSB in any water that they can escape because even though theya re generaly sterile they have a 1:200,000 chance of spawning with Pure Striped Bass. I thought this was very interesting.

Dave Willis Replied on the same day: Actually masterbasser, it's even worse than the state biologist told you. Hybrid striped bass are "functionally" sterile. The 1:200,000 probably applies to hybrids spawning with hybrids. However, the males of both species commonly run with either striped bass or white bass, and they certainly can produce a back-crossed generation with either. For example, hybrid males running with striped bass females will produce offspring that are 3/4 striper and 1/4 white bass genes.

The "functional" sterility comes from the difference in egg types for the two parentals. Striped bass have eggs that are nearly neutral buoyancy, and along the east coast they spawn in rivers that carry the eggs while they develop and hatch. If the eggs settle to the bottom, they typically smother and die in the organic/silt layer on the river bottom. Eggs need some oxygen, which crosses the membrane. White bass have heavy, sticky eggs. In rivers, they spawn on gravel riffles. The sticky, heavy eggs attach to the bottom and the current keeps them clean and oxygenated. Hybrid striped bass eggs are halfway in-between. They are too heavy to float with the striped bass eggs, settle to the bottom, and generally die. They are too light and not sticky enough to stay on the gravel if spawned in a riffle. They wash off, into a pool below, settle on the organic mud that usually has low or no dissolved oxygen, and die.
But under the right conditions ... Proof that it can happen in a pond as described - sorta like OPs. I know of 2 other similar pods where HSB have reproduced. If it happened in your pond and you were told it was not possible you would not be pleased.

HSB Spawning
:)I forgot to say that this is from Steve:
"Guys,
I videoed a little better HSB spawning activity. I do have several generations of viable progeny from previous spawning activity. This year the spawning was intense for 7-10 days (still on going as of yesterday). I can't explain it, I guess I'm lucky.

Omaha asked us to post the conditions of my pond when I posted the photo of one the HSB offspring from last year's spawn: My elevation is 3,000 feet. The pond is 1 acre with pond liner in about 1/3 due to caves. I have fresh water running in most of the time. I drain my pond down as much as I dare in later winter, and mechanically clean out debris. Most of my trout live most years. So, I'm assuming my water temperature stays well below 80 degrees most of the time. I run two aerators starting about now through fall. I feed Aquamax 600 by hand every day they will eat.'

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=23258&Number=292348#Post292348
Show us the water clarity measurement of the pond water and I will provide some more fishery information for your stocking and management ideas. Use a secchi disk or make one by using a white Cool Whip lid attached to a pole or cord. You can use just an all white disk for a basic measurement for our purposes.

Regarding the question about stocking crayfish, I generally believe that any fish that can fit a crawdad in it's mouth will eat one, but I have no true knowledge of the level of benefit for Yellow Perch.

Some folks may be able to discuss any potential negative effects of crawdads if they overpopulate and don't have a viable predator to keep them in check.

My initial thoughts are stock a bunch early in the process and then see how things go.

Regarding the Golden Shiners, I might wait a year before introducing them. Maybe 2 years. When you do want to introduce them, I would use the Anderson Fish Farms Golden Shiner Fry method. For a few hundred bucks, you get 250k of GS fry early in the given year, like April. Even with healthy existing fish populations, you'll still get heavy GS recruitment.
I've found 2.2" crayfish in stomach of 9" YP.
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
I've found 2.2" crayfish in stomach of 9" YP.

There you have it!
From FishBase

Food items reported for Perca flavescens
n = 14
Food I Food II Food III Food name Country Predator Stage
zoobenthos benth. crust. amphipods unidentified amphipods Canada recruits/juv.
zoobenthos insects insects unidentified anisopteran nymphs Canada recruits/juv.
zoobenthos insects insects unidentified chironomid larvae Canada recruits/juv.
zoobenthos insects insects unidentified chironomid pupae Canada recruits/juv.
zooplankton plank. crust. cladocerans unidentified cladocerans Canada recruits/juv.
zoobenthos benth. crust. n.a./other benth. crustaceans unidentified crustaceans Canada juv./adults
zoobenthos benth. crust. n.a./other benth. crustaceans unidentified decapods Canada recruits/juv.
zoobenthos insects insects unidentified dipterans Canada recruits/juv.
zoobenthos insects insects unidentified ephemeropteran nymphs Canada recruits/juv.
nekton finfish bony fish unidentified fish Canada juv./adults
zoobenthos benth. crust. isopods unidentified isopods Canada recruits/juv.
zoobenthos mollusks n.a./other mollusks unidentified mollusks Canada juv./adults
zoobenthos benth. crust. ostracods unidentified ostracods Canada recruits/juv.
zoobenthos insects insects unidentified zygopteran nymphs Canada recruits/juv.
Back to SearchBack to Top

Yes on crawfish and small BG. PB mag has article on crawfish as a problem for fish recruitment. IIRC there is a study indicating that craws can't do much harm to YP ribbons.

Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 146:173–180, 2017
© American Fisheries Society 2017
ISSN: 0002-8487 print / 1548-8659 online

Predators Reject Yellow Perch Egg Skeins
L. Zoe Almeida
Samuel C. Guffey and Tyler A. Krieg
Tomas O. Höök

Abstract
Despite the high rate of egg mortality due to predation,
few teleost fishes utilize external casings for protecting their
eggs. The gelatinous egg matrix, or skein, produced by Yellow
Perch Perca flavescens may provide a variety of benefits
including deterring egg predators. This study explored the
chemical components of the skein in addition to testing the
preferences of two common egg predators, Round Goby
Neogobius melanostomus and calico crayfish Orconectes
immunis, when presented with three potential egg prey:
Yellow Perch eggs in the skein, Yellow Perch eggs without
the skein, and Fathead Minnow Pimephales promelas eggs.
Preliminary analyses showed that the skein may contain a
variety of potentially noxious components, including piperideine
and the galactose-specific lectin, nattectin. In preference
trials, Yellow Perch eggs in the skein were often approached
first; however, both predators preferred Yellow Perch eggs
with the skein removed and Fathead Minnow eggs rather
than Yellow Perch eggs in the skein. Further experiments
demonstrated that crayfish spent less time attempting to consume
Yellow Perch eggs in the skein after prior exposure to
the skein (day 1: 11.0 min ± 1.3 [mean ± SE]; day 2: 7.6 min ±
1.4), reducing time spent damaging the eggs. These results
indicate that the skein may help protect eggs from predation

In the first experiment,
Round Gobies attempted to consume Yellow Perch eggs
in the skein, but they never succeeded because they rejected
the skein soon after it entered their mouths. After their first
attempt, individual Round Gobies never again put the Yellow
Perch eggs with the skein in their mouths.

The crayfish responses in both experiments indicate that structural
aspects of the skein may deter successful predation. Similar to the Round Goby, crayfish often initially approached and attempted
to consume the Yellow Perch eggs in the skein. Crayfish would
struggle with the skein, attempting to consume the eggs embedded
in the skein. They rarely succeeded, but they also did not have an
immediate rejection response like Round Goby. Because of this,
the Yellow Perch eggs were not consumed, but eggs were
damaged. Many eggs were burst but still embedded within the
skein matrix. After repeated attempts, crayfish reduced the time
spent manipulating the eggs, which may limit long-term losses of
damaged eggs.
Perhaps Setterguy can chime in on how many YP he harvests, at will, per year in a SMB pond I stocked for him several years ago. I stocked 1500 3-6" YP, 20# Fathead Minnow and 25# Golden Shiner. Later we added 100 4-6" SMB. He does use a feeder, throwing Optimal and/or Purina Aquamax, and harvests several 1 pound YP a year and catches smallies in excess of 4 pounds

Just found this. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner. I may not be the right guy to comment. I had great success with YP in the first few years after stocking. Caught maybe 50 nice sized YP every summer, and really enjoyed them.
The last few years, we have kept very few. I’m not sure what happened. There are just too many possible reasons for the decline in numbers. We stocked some HBG, they turned out to be a problem. I think we’ve reduced their numbers enough that “hopefully” they aren’t hurting the YP population. We have a lot of golden shiners. Schools of them. Hopefully the SMB are keeping them in check, but I’m not sure. Maybe they eat most of the YP fry. We have a GBH that practically lives on the edge of the pond. I originally didn’t think he was there that much, until I put out a game camera. Recently we’ve had cormorants and otters. They may have cleaned out more than I thought. Although both are no longer visiting.
I may not have enough cover for the YP fry. Although we now have American Pond Weed in abundance. We went from seeing 10-15 YP ribbons every spring to 2 or 3. However, pond levels are always fluctuating in the spring. I may have more ribbons than I see.
We do have lots of crayfish and lots of glass shrimp. Netting through the leaves along the bank catches quite a few. So, two years ago we restocked some YP.
Hopefully we will start catching YP again. They are our favorite fish to eat. (And clean)
I do run a feeder, but I don’t feed very heavy. Our pond has had issues with blue/green algae in the past.
I don’t aerate, that may be part of the problem. I also live 90 miles from my pond, I’m sure that contributes to the problem.
What it boils down to, is having a sustainable YP population, at least for me, is not easy, and it’s not simple. But when they are there in numbers, it’s worth it.
After all this, I know why the Missouri Dept of Conservative recommends LMB, BG, and Channel Catfish. Ha!
I need to win the lottery, and have a full time pond manager on site. Ha!
Show us the water clarity measurement of the pond water and I will provide some more fishery information for your stocking and management ideas. Use a secchi disk or make one by using a white Cool Whip lid attached to a pole or cord. You can use just an all white disk for a basic measurement for our purposes.

Thank you Bill! We are going through a nasty weather stretch, but when we have a nice sunny day I will get out and take a measurement. I have called a bunch of the hatcheries on my list, and most of them are shut down or don't answer. I think my list was old. If i am going to make a spring planting i need to get my order in.

Would a fresh water shrimp be a better forage option than crayfish? I don't want them to muddy up the water or compete with the forage base for the YP.
Regarding the question about stocking crayfish, I generally believe that any fish that can fit a crawdad in it's mouth will eat one, but I have no true knowledge of the level of benefit for Yellow Perch.

Some folks may be able to discuss any potential negative effects of crawdads if they overpopulate and don't have a viable predator to keep them in check.

My initial thoughts are stock a bunch early in the process and then see how things go.

Regarding the Golden Shiners, I might wait a year before introducing them. Maybe 2 years. When you do want to introduce them, I would use the Anderson Fish Farms Golden Shiner Fry method. For a few hundred bucks, you get 250k of GS fry early in the given year, like April. Even with healthy existing fish populations, you'll still get heavy GS recruitment.

Thank you Suni! What reason do I want to wait to stock the GS? I am trying to get as much of a forage base for my YP as i can. Do the older bigger GS compete with the YP if they don't have a predator like the WE?
Some other PB members, as well as myself, have had some experiences where Golden Shiners have perhaps 'overpopulated.'

I've started to doubt how much various predator fish can truly keep GS numbers in check.

Once the GS population is established, I'm starting to feel like they have a negative effect on the spawns of other desirable fish.

So, in your case, I think you want a lot of YP to survive to get to harvesting size, and I'm thinking the GS will reduce your numbers of newly hatched YP.

These are just my opinions.
Some other PB members, as well as myself, have had some experiences where Golden Shiners have perhaps 'overpopulated.'

I've started to doubt how much various predator fish can truly keep GS numbers in check.

Once the GS population is established, I'm starting to feel like they have a negative effect on the spawns of other desirable fish.

So, in your case, I think you want a lot of YP to survive to get to harvesting size, and I'm thinking the GS will reduce your numbers of newly hatched YP.

These are just my opinions.

This is great info, thank you! What else would you recommend with the FHM? common shiners or a red shiner?
I really don't know of another minnow species that would be good. My thoughts are to really make sure you have way more than enough spawning structure for fathead minnows, coupled with adjacent safe structure that newly born fatheads can survive in.

Our conventional wisdom here says that fatheads eventually get eradicated by predator species, but I just wonder if you could keep a decently sustaining fathead population by creating several safe spawning and growing areas for them.

Even if you had a way to block off or net off a small area of the pond where there would be no predator fish, you could net out hundreds and hundreds of fatheads and release them into the rest of the pond several times a week.
BCR Pond, search on google using Pondboss and spotfin shiners as search terms There are several good threads about SFS in this forum.

I think they would provide some distinct advantages to GSH in most cases. They do not have some of the downsides and have some additional survival advantages.

I'm not sure if they are found in North Carolina. But there probably are other native shiners of different species in your area that would add diversity and survival advantage.

Once I came across a webpage where you could search by species and then there were pictures of folks who found this species in their area and posted pictures. It was a map of the US searchable by species and location. It was quite helpful but I can't find the link anymore. LIke a 'fish database' but it was hosted by a outdoor society or nature/biology enthusiast page.

IF found in you area, you often can use artificial spawning devices (read about these, they have specific design requirements) and soak them in rivers, streams or backwater that might natively have SFS already and then when eggs are laid on the spawning device transfer into your pond. In your state they probably are laying eggs a month earlier than in SW Michigan.

In the upper midwest many streams have them and you can seine for them. They have very distinct coloring in May and June as they get into spawning colors.
This might be the link that canyoncreek mentioned. I have found it fairly accurate to match what I know for the few creeks and rivers near me.

FishMap
Fabulous! Yes that is exactly the database. It is very powerful in searching by water shed or zip code and showing very good pictures from dozens of observers in multiple areas.

You start with zip code or water shed and then you get a list of species. You click on the species which opens multiple pages with links to location and user pictures.

For example this link shows many pictures of SFS in many different environments.

Spotfin shiners in many locations with images

Bill,
I was able to get out today and measure. The disk disappears around 52".
I'm working on a response for this proposed NC pond stocking. It may take a few days for creating a lengthy answer.
It took me several days to work on this lengthy answer about yellow perch in your new pond. Hopefully you can achieve your goals for growing some nice YP in North Carolina.

Your first BIG problem as you now surmise will be locating YP in North Carolina for pond stocking. The 3 places you list may not have YP as indicated to me by the available web search information and your attempt to contact any of them does not seem promising at this point. Onley The Best Fingerlings website says they have YP, however saying is one thing and having them is another matter. Good dependable fisheries even in winter should still respond to phone calls and emails. You most importantly may not be able to even buy fingerling YP without them being shipped to you. Zetts fish farm in neighboring WA (Inwood) has YP although these fish very likely will be 1”-3” sizes best for shipment unless you drive to pick larger ones up, if they have larger ones.

Be very leery of buying 2”-3” YP in spring before June because these are graded small ones and they are mostly the slower growing runt males. By Jun-Jul new crop YP should be close to 2” long unless overcrowded. During late May or early June 1”-2” YP size would be okay to buy. I don’t advise stocking 2”-3”ers as 1 yr old fish unless you are looking for mostly males. 1 yr old females should be at least 4”-6” and sometimes well fed ones can be 6”,7”, 8” long at one yr old. Those are the ones I prefer for initial stocking. You want to start the pond population with good best growing genetics, not runt mostly 2”-3” one yr old male fish. Be cautious and sure of what you are buying. Some fish farms are not always truthful. Their profit is moving and selling fish regardless of size. They crowd fish in growing ponds to maximize numbers and not body growth. Another option is sometimes you can arrange to meet the fish delivery truck when they are making deliveries within 1-2 hours of your location.

Second Task is to get some FHM stocked as soon as you can find some available in Feb to Apr. (See Added Forage below). I think your planned amount of FHM and GSH stocker minnows is a little too high. IMO 15 total pounds is plenty of each specie (FHM – GSH 8-10lb ea/ac). Plenty to get a large amount of recruitment minnows to get the pond started as the best it can be. You will be amazed how many minnows 10lb/ac can produce by fall. If you stock them in Spring and allow them to spawn all summer it can become by late Fall several hundred of pounds of FHM.

Then you can spend all spring and summer trying to find the nearest source for some YP for a Fall stocking of YP. Even 2”-3” YP in fall are very questionable sizes for me to be stocking despite what the fish farms says about how good 2” YP in Fall or early Spring are. Growth lost the 1st year is never regained. Farms are in the business to sell as many fish as possible despite the size. By Fall the 4”-6” are the better growing individuals. I very much doubt you will find nearby 6”-8” YP as 1 yr old fish unless this is a speciality perch grow-out farm. If you locate some at least add some of these. The larger the YP that are available and stocked the better and sooner they will produce offspring and create at least a few early harvestable YP.

Do not negate starting the pond with the best available genetics from fast growing YP. YP at 4”-6” or 7” stocked in Fall will spawn the next spring and these stockers should be 8”-10” at 1 full year in your pond (2yr fish). Buying 4”-6” YP be sure to ask if they are the current year class rather than last year’s fish which would be slower growing individuals. I highly suggest using “the best available genetics from fast growing YP” as the initial genetic stock of your pond. Why stock slow growing perch to start the pond?

Third Topic. Your no desire for pellet feeding the fish will make it more of a challenge to quickly grow lots of large YP. You can grow nice perch using all natural foods, although you will just need to pay closer attention to the balance, fish densities, and size classes of the YP population as the pond ages. I have learned that pellet feeding ‘smoothes out’ the problems of fish balance, crowding, and size classes. Feeding them pellets keeps a high percentage of them growing well when even natural foods are limiting. Lack of growth is never regained despite if later those fish get adequate food to get growing again. Fish need ample food to maintain good body weight and then excess food to gain their growth potential.

In clear water fish can grow fast and can get a lot to eat, IF those fish do not have a lot of siblings also present who want to eat the same foods. Low fish density with or using natural foods equals faster growing and plumper fish. You can get a good idea of body well fed plumpness by using relative weight (RW) calculations on some of the perch. More on RW is seen below. Fewer fish eating a limited amount of food can grow pretty fast PROVIDING each one fills its belly each and every day to produce growth. Excess food = growth. The amount of excess food determines the amount of growth.

The fish who eat all natural foods I think will live longer and can ultimately still grow to large sizes same as pellet fed fish. Pellet foods contain too many carbohydrates that IMO shorten life spans for fish and people. Pellet foods are designed for fast growth not necessarily long life spans. For example - look at the big fish that grow in very clear Michigan and Canada lakes. However there are not a lot of these big fish per acre, sometimes less than 1 per acre of water. It is said that 90% of the fish live in 10% of the lake, especially for clear types of lakes. There is not many fish out in the middle of the lake’s open, off shore water. Fish orient to habitat for numerous reasons.

Thus your success when using all natural forage based foods will depend on how well you monitor and manage the numbers in the population of each species. Keeping perch from being too many will be your biggest challenge. Generally the fewer fish that are present per acre the larger they will become due to always having excess food. Always having excess food available is paramount in growing fish. A fish will grow as long as it lives as long as it daily has food to excess. Food shortages due to too many fish lead to slow growing and stunted fish.

YP have the potential to be prolific. If you let nature control the densities you may not like the results. Your goals will depend on how well you maintain / manage the balance of predator and prey numbers. See more about Management in the Fish Harvest section below.

A couple PB Forum members mentioned walleye(WE) for the pond. They are a very good management tool with YP however WHERE are you going to buy WE in NC???? Very doubtful IMO. With no WE you will probably have to resort to using HSB as the predator for YP. My second choice would be smallmouth bass that often has limited reproduction. SMB are available from Zetts and usually only in Fall if you are lucky. My experience is that HSB will work very well for controlling YP because you have full control of the number of predators. SMB can reproduce well in a pond similar to yours and quickly result in too many predators eating and competing with YP. Young SMB thrive on eating invertebrate foods needed by 3”-7” YP.

The main drawback to HSB is they will grow to big sizes and thus these bigger 26”-30” HSB will I think be focused on eating larger YP (4”-6”) and detracting from your harvest of larger YP by eating too many pre 8” perch. If numbers of 8”+ YP are low because large HSB are eating primarily 4”-6” YP, you can easily manage around this situation. Harvest all HSB larger than 16”-20” caught by anglers and periodically stock fingerling HSB to replace the large harvested HSB. HSB replacements should be 20% more numbers than the adults that were harvested. This accounts for survival loss of the young stocked HSB. Young HSB at times can be tricky to get a high survival percentage after stocking. This same HSB management also holds true for WE.

BG were mentioned in an above post. IMO - and by all means,, AVOID bluegill if you want primarily a YP fishery. RES as a low fecundity fish, a snail-parasite controller and IMO can serve as a bonus benign panfish with YP. To get good predator control of prolific BG, LMB are the best ones to use. Other predator species are marginal at best for controlling BG. Caution – if you stock RES do your best in the purchase to avoid ALL contamination by BG, HBG, green sunfish. All will cause long term havoc with a YP fishery. You can’t get these problem fish out once introduced.

WATER CLARITY
Water clarity of 52” indicates relatively low pond productivity. As the pond ages the water could become even more clear towards 5ft-7ft. I do not consider 4ft3” very clear water. Very clear for me is 10+ft; see later. I help with management of some ponds and reservoirs where the Secchi disk water clarity is 12-16ft. Keep monitoring water clarity with the secchi disk every 2 -4 weeks all summer. This will help guide you about the relative density of the plankton and give a rough idea of fish density and productivity. For judging fish food abundance and fish body condition & plumpness see Fish Harvest section.

Determine the water alkalinity. Alkalinity indicates the ability of plankton to grow and the resulting fish production potential of the water. Good alkalinity is above 40mg/L (ppm) and IMO if closer to 80-100mg/L is best. This will help guide you as to how many YP the pond has the ability or has the capacity to grow. It is similar to measuring soil fertility for crops. The clearer the water is the lower the overall fertility and less crop that will be grown or produced.

Water clarity due mostly to plankton, and not due to suspended silt - muck, is a pretty good indicator of pond fertility. Good alkalinity allows good plankton to grow. Another very good method is to have the water tested by a soil test laboratory for basic chemistry and nutrients. Results will provide an indication of the productive potential of the pond that is known as trophic status. Main things to test for are: alkalinity (bicarbonate), total hardness, total phosphorus, dissolved phosphorus, and nitrate are explained in this good info link. If you want to know just alkalinity - nitrate, you can self-test it with user friendly aquarium test kits.
https://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/Understanding-Your-Fish-Pond-Water-Analysis-Report.pdf

With a water clarity of 4-5ft, I consider this pond productivity in the mesotrophic condition or range. Mesotrophic is midway between nutrient enriched (eutrophic) and nutrient poor oligotrophic. Natural fish poundage, as total carrying capacity for panfish, of oligotrophic (12+ft clarity) is around 40-50 total forage/ panfish pounds/ac. Opposite end is eutrophic (1.5-3ft clarity) that can have around 300 lbs +/-50lb/ac of forage & panfish. Mesotrophic (5-10ft clarity) has around 80 to maybe 200 panfish lbs/ac . This type of pond/lake often has perch, walleye, smallmouth as the main fishery. I estimate your Mesotrophic total panfish pounds could be around 100-160 lbs/ac.

WATER RETENTION TIME
A lake’s size, and water inflow – outflow rate determine the average length of time that water remains in a lake; aka the retention time. This is also known as residence time, flow through time, or flushing rate which means how long a drop of water moves from inlet to outlet. Another definition is how long normal inflowing water takes to fill the lake.

The longer that suspended solids and nutrients remain in the lake, the longer the nutrients can contribute to growing the plankton and fish. Generally the shorter the retention time the less fertile the pond tends to be and the fewer fish pounds that will be present or raised. If water gets flushed out before it can grow a large food chain base, this leads to lower overall productivity and fewer fish.

You mention your pond has an outflow of spring water of 170K per day from a pond volume of about 3.8 million gallons. Outflow affects the retention time of the pond. I calculate the pond water of 3.8 million gallons has a residence time of around 22 days. This is a relatively short time and it contributes to the pond having an overall lower productivity of mesotrophic status.

Due to average trophic ratio factors, the natural PREDATOR mesotrophic poundage will be around 10 to maybe 14 pounds per acre. This weight could be distributed to 12 one pound fish or two 6 pound fish / acre. Thus water clarity, trophic status, and pond residence time all have big influences on total natural pond fish production.

HARVEST AND PRODUCTIVITY
You say your homework of “the estimate of 100-150lbs of YP harvest was only based on what i have read on pond yields in other articles”.
The amount of pond fish produced and amount of harvestable fish is very similar to a harvestable crop in a garden or field. Both are based on fertility of the soil or water. For a 100-150 lb fish harvest,, my question is, what was the water clarity retention time, and fertility of those ponds having 100-150 lbs of fish harvest in the articles??? Water clarity, as a result of bottom of the food chain productivity (plankton), has a big influence on how many pounds of fish a pond is able to grow and the probable amount of edible size fish for an annual harvest. Those 100-150 harvest rates were likely from eutrophic fertile ponds with water clarity of less than 28”. Water clarity usually determines productivity.

FISH HARVEST - Over harvest can happen. Since YP larger than 9”-10” grow rather slowly in many of the US waters, excessive harvest of the largest individuals can easily result in the population getting overly skewed toward the next smaller size class 6”-7” perch. 7” YP with ample food should in the next year be 9”-10” long. Sometimes that 7” perch stays 7” and maybe only 8” long for the rest of its life. Ponds properly managed need to or should have the fish crop harvested to prevent over crowed fish mostly all at 7” long, eating too much of the available good foods. In a good balanced YP community,, one should be catching 10% - 20” of the perch as larger than 10” and some 12”-13”. If not,,,,,, there are too many perch stacked up at the 6”-7” size class. Limited amount of foods limit fish growth rates. If the crop is not harvested properly then the fish age, stay shorter, and naturally die. Improper over abundant fish density can result in stunted fish dying of old age. Improper harvest is more likely to cause poor balance of fishes and then the size class distribution is more likely to result in fewer harvestable fish. The most frequent pond occurrence is too many small fish that are not growing well.

For my thinking, the mesotrophic status puts the TOTAL forage fish and panfish at or should be around 90-110/lbs per ac. For balanced fishery management, literature and experience suggests that the harvest be around 20-30% of the available adult sized fish. For new ponds I lean more for the 15%-20% initial harvest of the total poundage to watch how the fishery responds after the first two years of harvesting. If we use 20%, this is hopefully around 20 to 32 pounds of panfish/ac (30-48lbs in 1.5ac). I think initially it is better to remove too few fish compared to too many especially if the pond is not fertilized nor pellet fed. Removing fewer allows more spawner adults to survive and create more new fish recruitment to replenish those harvested fish. As time passes and if fish monitoring occurs regularly, this should give a good indication of sizes and numbers available in the fishery. I would rather have fewer numbers of larger fish compared to too many small fish. Too many small fish can be reduced by adding more predators and manual thinning of small with with seines. and traps - see later.

Based on water conditions and relative number of YP larger than 8” - more or less can be harvested. This is where keeping good records is important for those sizes harvested and released that are caught by angling. As years pass looking at older catch & harvest records will tell the status and progress of the fishery. You can harvest more if you are seeing strong numbers of 6”-7” YP that can or should replace those harvested. Harvest fewer if fishing does not have about a 50% catch rate of at least 6”-7” YP. Good monitoring of the fishery will involve sampling by catching and measuring representatives of the perch. Notice the plumpness of the perch. After you catch several perch you will get a good idea of plump and skinny and obviously slender perch. Plump perch indicate good balance and the abundance of foods being eaten; skinny almost sunken belly perch indicate too many fish for the amount of available food. Thinning of fish numbers is then needed. Often this can be the small 3”-5” individuals by using the larger size fish traps. Last Spring caught 90 small prespawn YP overnight in one home-made trap similar to the large cylinder ktrap.
https://ktraps.com/collections/all

Learn about calculating RW and usefulness from our Archives Common Q&A section.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1
Performing RW of representative sizes of perch will give you a better visual idea of plump and skinny perch.

When ponds are influenced by factors that cause lower productivity, this is why pond owners often resort to fertilizing the water and or feeding pelleted foods that boost fish production to as much as four times. Other common things that could be done to naturally increase the pond’s productivity would be to increase the water retention time, add organic materials that eventually contribute to basic nutrient fertility, and increase amount of habitat. Reducing the number of “hogs (fish) feeding at the trough” always allows remaining fish to get more food.

HABITAT
Amount of habitat by itself to a point has been proven to increase fish productivity. The optimum amount of habitat is said to be close to 20% to 25% of the surface area. However too much habitat, such as over abundant vegetation, protects too many small fish that overwhelm the balance and small ones then stunt and adults, if present, grow SLOWER from too many mouths eating limited amounts of foods. Your river rock and some boulders depending on density are a good beginning of added habitat. More IMO is usually better. Other habitat items to increase habitat can be more large rocks - boulders in shallow 2-4ft depths, various types of woody cover, and all types of artificial structures both purchased and home-made. See Structure topic in our QA Archives. Lots of invertebrate foods live on and among the habitat structures and vegetation.

Submerged vegetation could become a big problem for your organic farm management philosophy. Clearer water in the Mesotrophic condition will tend to promote over time too much submerged plant growth in shallow and deeper water. I assume you are anti-chemical for weed control. Manual removal of plants requires lots of time and lots of work especially in water area over ½ ac. Be prepared. There are special tools for best efficient plant removal. You can use grass carp (GC) to help with plant trimming or thinning,,, but do not add enough GC to eliminate the submerged plants. Always start slow or gradually with these fish. Give them ample time to achieve their ability. You always want some submerged plants as good habitat and for submerged plants to use nutrients to compete with filamentous algae. GC do not like eating filamentous algae(FA). IMO do not resort to using koi nor Israeli (a Zetts promotional) to control FA. They do not eat any or very little FA. They are the same specie as common carp and reduce FA by making the water turbid – muddy - so FA does not get enough light for good growth. If you want murky turbid water caused by suspended silt & bottom muck use koi & Israeli. I use koi to create turbidity for water that is too clear. However tilapia absolutely love eating FA that allows tilapia to grow fast.

ADDED FORAGE
I would stock beneficial invertebrates when you stock the minnows or very soon after. Examples below. You want these inverts to reproduce and provide lots of abundant foods with the initial spawning minnows / shiners.

Crayfish especially those young of the year, are a very good invertebrate food or YP fisheries. 100-300 would be a good initial ‘seeding’ to get them established before or with the panfish. Crayfish at common density also help clean filamentous algae off submerged habitats. The only crayfish that I find best for pond use is the papershell crayfish (Orconectes immunis) because they stay in the pond and do not crawl out and create digging & dirt mounds. Smith Creek Fish Farm, Bliss NY have papershell for shipment. Papershell are not listed as occurring in NC however they occur in neighboring states of TN and WVA. Papershells are probably already in western NC. Northern crayfish (Orconectes virilis) is listed for NC. This crayfish grows larger than the papershell which make the northern cray a slightly lower benefit to a perch fishery. Rusty crayfish Orconectes rusticus, is considered an “invasive” aggressive species and is listed to occur in NC. I would avoid using rusty crayfish. It is best to know your crayfish basics before adding them.

Since your pond has spring fed water consider using scuds (Gammarus), and freshwater shrimp aka ghost shrimp (Palomonetes). Submerged plants are almost always required for shrimp and scuds to prosper.
Most of the larger types of beneficial scuds prefer slightly cooler water than the FW shrimp. This from the internet.: “Freshwater grass (ghost) shrimp Palaemonetes paludosus are in nearly every stream, swamp and pond in northeast NC. Just scoop through aquatic plant beds and algae with a small-mesh dipnet. You won’t find them on open sandy bottoms - they need plants or submerged leaf & branch piles. Most tributaries of the Roanoke, Chowan, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Pamlico should have them. In the brackish estuaries you'll get different species (P. vulgaris and P. pugio) that won’t live long-term in freshwater.”
https://goliadfarms.com/shop/gammarus-scuds/

The invertebrates noted above need at least some submerged vegetation to thrive so do NOT eliminate your underwater plants – just trim them when or as needed. Vegetation would probably be most beneficial primarily in the upper inlet area where the stream enters.

If you deal with Zetts consider stocking some of their Bull Minnows. They are a ‘top water surface oriented small fish and can add diversity to the forage fish base in a perch pond. They live longer than FHM and can grow to 5” long. 100-300 fish, if shipped, would be a good seed stocking number for this species.
http://agrilife.org/fisheries2/file....-1200-Growing-Bull-Minnows-for-Bait.pdf

There are two other very good forage minnows that I suggest for an all natural forage base: satinfin shiner and bluntnose minnow. Both occur commonly in NC and they survive well and for long term periods in ponds with YP. However you cannot purchase these two species from fish farms. You have to go collect individuals from local sites, mostly streams. Any number of each species would act as starter species. Bluntnose minnows will spawn like FHM putting eggs on the underside of rocks, and any bottom oriented flat structures. They tend to survive longer in YP ponds than FHM, especially if good refuge type of habitat is present. Abundant habitat and structure also allows FHM once well established to thrive longer term in YP based ponds.
North Carolina Minnow IDs
https://ncfishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/NC-Minnows-and-Identification-Key.pdf
Locations of collections - maps
By clicking on the county on the map it provides stream names where they were collected. Counties have colors that indicate were most individuals were collected.
https://auth1.dpr.ncparks.gov/fish/fish_list.php

Your success when using all natural forage bases will depend on how well you monitor and manage the all the fishes present. Active management always produces better fish size class distributions, and more harvestable sizes of fish compared to letting nature determine the fish densities. If you let nature control the densities you may not like the results. Your goals will depend on the correct balance of predator and prey densities and your ability to help the pond maintain lots of natural fish foods to keep fish growing well without needing pellets.

There is no charge for all this professional knowledge and experience of perch raising information. My only request is that you periodically return to this same thread and up-date us on the progress of your pond’s fishery. I am interested to see how close I come to estimating how the perch will perform in your natural forage based pond. We need to learn even more about raising yellow perch in ponds.

https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1300&context=sfcproceedings
Wow!!!
If I were you, I'd print out Bill's post above and keep it so you can re-read it every few months. What he posted would cost you about what a top of the line fish feeder would cost in consulting fees. As an addendum to Bill's post, purchase your RES as large as possible, at least 3" long and educate yourself on what the difference between a RES, a BG, a HBG and a GSF is. Without that knowledge, you are literally playing with fire. IF you get a pair of BG in the pond, you will now be fighting a bluegill issue and without an intensive BG harvest plan, you will not be able to achieve your YP goals. It would be better to Rotenone the pond and start over.

If you stock SMB, you WILL have to harvest them, and I would recommend harvesting any that get larger than 12"-14". If left unharvested they can consume all the offspring and will overpopulate the pond - I have a customer that is not good at harvesting the SMB and he has stunted SMB and VERY FEW YP/RES in the pond now. He also doesn't have the proper amount of spawning habitat in the pond for the YP, and does not feed the fish.

I would strongly recommend you to rethink your stance on not feeding the fish - the advantages in my mind greatly outweighs the disadvantages. Better condition fish will lay more eggs. If you cannot sustain a minnow population in the pond and don't feed the fish, you will have to either really cut back on the amount of fish in the pond, then spend probably over $1K/year adding minnows to get the remaining fish in the pond to grow or cut back tremendously on the amount of fish in the pond and start a feeding program. You don't realize just how many fish get eaten per year in the pond unless you experience it first hand.

The only other thing I would do is wait to get the underwater plants established before adding the crayfish. It seems that once crayfish are stocked and established in a pond, getting underwater weeds established is difficult.
esshup has wise advice from experience.
1. purchase RES 3"+ long so you can reasonably tell if they are truly RES. A pair of other sunfish commonly MIXED in by mistake by some fish farms will raise havoc in a standard YP pond. The smaller the fish are the easier it is to get other unrecognizable sunfish mixed into an order. It is better to not have any RES than to have a pair of other sunfish species in a YP based pond. Other panfish are eating foods needed by the perch and detracting from your YP harvest. .

2. The advice is very good about the SMB in a YP based pond. Remove all larger SMB because these larger SMB will eat larger 4"-6" YP and suppress recruitment of YP which can also be a benefit. It all depends. It is all about predator control. Very similar to raising chickens; control of numbers is important. Having something eating all the chickens is not so good.

3. ""You don't realize just how many fish get eaten per year in the pond unless you experience it first hand." The numbers in normal conditions can be a whole lot more than expected. Then these over abundant fish run out of natural foods. If the pond becomes "weedy", this protects too many small fish and promotes over population of fish that are not useful for table use. It pays to closely monitor the density of each species.

4. Agree. "The only other thing I would do is wait to get the underwater plants established before adding the crayfish." Especially true if not using SMB as a predator. A strong population of adult YP can eat quite a few relatively small crayfish. Rusty and Northern crayfish are not IMO very good food for YP. SMB yes, YP not so much.

5. Organic farming of not pellet feeding can work for pond fish. However the numbers have to be significantly lower for all fish get plenty to eat so they not only live but grow which takes more food than just living.
Bill,
Thank you for the very thoughtful and thorough response. I will be happy to update this thread through my journey. Yes you are correct, i have had issues locating good local sources of YP. I did locate a source for Spotfin Shiners, FHM, and Blunt Nose Shiners, and am waiting for a quote now. When i am ready to plant the YP, i think i will take the time to drive north and pick them up myself. I will also be very careful when it is time to do the RES. I can't afford to get a pair of BG in here. Based on your suggestions and other threads, this will be my stocking plan.

March 2023- 10lbs FHM, 10lbs Spotfin Shiner, 10bls blunt nose shiners
Aug 2023 600 papershell crayfish
Aug 2023 1,000 grass shrimp
Fall 2024 100 7"+ YP, 300 3-5" YP, 300 RES
Fall 25 or 26 ( depending on the YP) 10 WE.

I am going to let the pond be a bait pond for a full year to really establish before i introduce the YP. This summer i am going to drop in a lot of fish structures using logs, boulders and rock piles. I also want to make some pallet habitats for the FHM to spawn in. I have seen some really nice ideas on this forum for making those. I am looking into planting vegetation now. I am looking at cork screw eel grass, as i can buy that and have it shipped here this spring. I am hesitant to add to much vegetation, but i think i will do a few hundred feet of the south shoreline with that.
If you are going to use Vallisneria you should read the good info in this link.
https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles/aquatic-plants/vallisneria

Also consider Vallisneria americana var.natans also called Vallisneria natans as noted in this thread.
https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=555234#Post555234

When planting I would plant some also in some shallow tubs to get it started; use just pond bottom sediment or garden dirt. Those in tubs are also easier to protect new plants from all herbivores. Once established in pans or tubs the dense growth can be transplanted to desired areas.
Where is your source for spotfin and bluntnose? Very doubtful they will have even 1 lb let alone 10 lbs.

Note spotfin are not reported for NC although satinfin and spotfin are very close to the same appearance. Very few can tell them apart. If you are concerned about species introductions use satinfin not spotfin.
FYI Bluntnose are minnows are similar or close to FHM and are not shiners. Shiners belong to the big group called shiners such as golden, emerald, common, etc. Although the golden shiner is unique and belongs to a different genus than most of the other shiners. Fishey people are changing the technical scientific names around all the time. The crevice spawning group that includes spotfins and satinfins has been moved from Notropis to Cypinella.

A full year for the pond to be a bait pond is an EXCELLENT idea and plan. This will be a big help to produce YP.

If you are purchasing shorter narrow leaf submerged plants to colonize the pond another very good one to use is
Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria sublata). A taller variety is Narrow leaf Sagittaria (see below) . It stays short and forms a carpet on the bottom.
https://aquariumbreeder.com/dwarf-sagittaria-care-guide-planting-growing-and-propagation/

If you can get lots of them growing I will buy them from you!.
Dwarf sagittaria spreads through runners, and can form the much sought after carpet effect. Dwarf variety should be planted to where it can grow in water deeper than 1 foot since they can grow up to 6 inches (30.5 cm) tall whereas Narrow Leaf Sagittaria grows 12" tall. . Occasionally, if kept in excellent conditions, it may send small white flowers to the surface of the water.
Hello.

Mr.Cody, it is always a pleasure to read you, Thank you.
A+
When you get the minnows, ask them if they are wild caught fish or if they are farm raised. Wild caught minnows have a MUCH better chance of having a few fish that you don't want in the pond vs. farm raised minnows. Baby bullheads, baby common carp, etc., etc. can be had with wild caught fish.
You are so right! I have all the above from fish truck fish….. before I got on pond boss and didn’t know better
Where is your source for spotfin and bluntnose? Very doubtful they will have even 1 lb let alone 10 lbs.

Note spotfin are not reported for NC although satinfin and spotfin are very close to the same appearance. Very few can tell them apart. If you are concerned about species introductions use satinfin not spotfin.
FYI Bluntnose are minnows are similar or close to FHM and are not shiners. Shiners belong to the big group called shiners such as golden, emerald, common, etc. Although the golden shiner is unique and belongs to a different genus than most of the other shiners. Fishey people are changing the technical scientific names around all the time. The crevice spawning group that includes spotfins and satinfins has been moved from Notropis to Cypinella.

A full year for the pond to be a bait pond is an EXCELLENT idea and plan. This will be a big help to produce YP.

If you are purchasing shorter narrow leaf submerged plants to colonize the pond another very good one to use is
Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria sublata). A taller variety is Narrow leaf Sagittaria (see below) . It stays short and forms a carpet on the bottom.
https://aquariumbreeder.com/dwarf-sagittaria-care-guide-planting-growing-and-propagation/

If you can get lots of them growing I will buy them from you!.
Dwarf sagittaria spreads through runners, and can form the much sought after carpet effect. Dwarf variety should be planted to where it can grow in water deeper than 1 foot since they can grow up to 6 inches (30.5 cm) tall whereas Narrow Leaf Sagittaria grows 12" tall. . Occasionally, if kept in excellent conditions, it may send small white flowers to the surface of the water.

I still have not gotten a quote back after i told them how many minnows i was looking for, so you might be right on the money. The only place i could find that had any minnows besides FHM and GSH, was Jonah's aquarium. They had quite an extensive list, but they deal mostly in small quantities. I had to request a quote for a bulk order. I did a lookup on Fishmap for my area, and i was able to find the spotfin shinner, not the satin fin. Maybe they do have them mixed up. The place i am ordering the Vallisneria Corkscrew (Vallisneria americana var. biwaensis also carries the Dwar sagitaria, so i think i will give both of them a good try. I will let you know how it works out. I assume i want a nice size bed of each, not mixed together correct?
Summer update. I have some good news and bad news on the pond. I planted the Vallisneria and Sagitaria this spring. It looks like all the Sagitaria died. I think it may have been to early to plant it. The Vallisneria has taken off nicely and is growing some nice dense patches. I will try again with the Sagitaria this summer. I was able to get blunt nose minnows and Spotfin Shiners from Joanahs aquarium, It cost a fortune, but it was the only source i could find. From what i can see they have already been reproducing. The BAD news. Somehow, somewhere to two types of fish I DID NOT WANT ended up in the pond. I have blue gill and what I am almost positive is young large mouth bass. I have caught a few blue gills out of there, but I cant get the bass to bite. It is a very long slender fish with a black line running horizontal down the side. They are about 4 inches long right now. So here lies my dilemma, and I am open to any feedback. I was planning on waiting a full year for the pond to get nice and full of baitfish, before i introduced the perch. Since i already have the BG and LMB, should i go ahead and get the YP in there this summer and get them competing with the BG and LMB? Should i try to get out as many LMB and BG as possible? I will still planning to do grass shrimp and softshell crayfish, but those efforts are probably thwarted with what is in there now. I am open to any ideas.
Plants - The Vallisneria's growth is encouraging. Sagittaria may have been planted too deep in the sediment. I always recommend to plant some of the shipment in shallow tubs placed in shallow water to get it started - then later transplant.

Fish - Small fish as you described do appear to be LMB. Introduction was either from water in-flowage from the mountain stream or your friends decided to do you a favor and stock a few adults that reproduced to produce small bass. Since the pond is fed by a mountain stream - if you are lucky the fish with lateral body stripe might not be LMB??? Only catching one will verify it. Them not biting on a worm baited hook MAY suggest they are not LMB? Any sort of tiny stream entering a pond always has some fish species even as fish fry in it. Your pond also very likely has other fish species introduced from the feeder stream. Baited minnow traps may help determine what species are present.

As LMB start reproducing they will ruin the very vulnerable minnow populations due to too intense predation. Practically all minnow species soon become extinct with the predation pressure of abundant wolf hungry young LMB. In this situation You can't remove significant numbers of LMB predators because this allows BG to overpopulate. You now have a sad state of affairs considering you wanted a YP-SMB fishery. Diligent sampling and determining what species that were introduced by the stream should help with your management as you move forward.

Are you positive the sunfish fish are BG and not green sunfish? GSF always invade from tiny streams and rivulets. Almost every small stream in eastern US has GSF. It is possible that the invading small fish are some other sunfish species. Catching or trapping some will verify species ID.

IMO you are stuck with a BG-LMB dominated pond. At this point you can add some YP (4"-6") that will populate for several years until the initial stockers die of old age. By then the LMB will have become very dominate to where they have essentially eaten all the young YP to where no offspring survive to reproduce. YP due to slender shape and behavior are much preferred as prey for LMB compared to BG. Only dense cover will allow a few YP to survive to be breeding adults. Problem with this is the dense cover also then allows BG to overpopulate and skew the fishery toward BG dominance. YP reproduce once a year and BG reproduce throughout the summer. The YP, if any are able to survive, will be the rare bonus fish after 5-7 yrs. The first several years things will be good for YP but gradually the population declines.

Good luck in moving forward with the pond. In this thread I would like to hear updates as to the pond's progress and development.
That is what i was afraid of. If i didn't already spend so much on minnows i would be tempted to drain the whole thing and start again.... but then again the same thing could happen. The feeder creek is extremely shallow and fast moving, so the BG and LMB in it seem unlikely. It is made from mountain springs, so it is also very cold. It is 20 foot wide but you can walk across in most spots and not get your ankles wet. I have seen small minnows in the deeper holes but never any sizeable fish. We do get geese and cranes in the pond, i wonder if they could transplant some. Here is a photo of the blue gill, i don't think it is a GSF. Also, a mystery minnow i spotted a few weeks ago and have not seen since. It was almost translucent with a pinkish stripe. Wondering if it is a rainbow. I will try to catch one of the LMB on a lure since it won't take a worm or nightcrawler. I have a minnow trap, i will get that in the water and see what i can get.

Attached picture Fish with Red Stripe.jpg
Attached picture Blue Gill.jpg
Pictures won't load for me, but man that would be sweet to have some wild rainbows washing into the pond.
I will try to upload the photos again. I was able to use a cast net and catch one of the bass. I am going to try to buy some perch and get them in the pond ASAP. I am going to try and catch as many of BG and LMB as i can. Does anyone think Electro fishing would be an option to try to get as many out as possible? Or is it a lost cause?

Attached picture SMB.jpg
Attached picture Blue Gill.jpg
Attached picture Fish with Red Stripe.jpg
Well, you have LMB and that looks like a regular bluegill to me.

Electroshock survey will allow you to remove some LMB and bluegill, buy truly, you won't get them all. Cost of said survey is a few thousand gold smoullions.

If the LMB and BG came in from the stream, it's going to happen again and again.

If you still want the YP harvesting goal, then I'd be removing all LMB caught. I'm not sure about if the bluegill will be beneficial or not. I"m sure YP will eat some baby BG, but after the BG get a certain size, they'll survive.
Your LMB & BG are adults and way, way too big to have been grown in your pond from fingerlings because the pond was completed and filled in Dec 2022.. Your feeder spring/stream to me sounds to be too small and shallow to have produced those LMB-BG. I suspect someone stocked those fish for you. Since it is now July there is almost a 100% chance reproduction of both has occurred if you have at least one pair of LMB and BG. Thus the pond is now infected with lots of small LMB - BG after spawning with little benefit to catching out the original mistake fish. It will be difficult to manage this mainly as a YP pond. However you can still have YP as a bonus fish. Often when I get a pond with just LMB and the owner wants YP they can just try to remove all the LMB they can catch and the YP population does really well. The problem in your case is you strongly need numerous LMB to control prolific BG so they do not overpopulate and stunt.

Once you verify that spawning of LMB and BG has occurred and you still want numerous nice size YP, I would remove every LMB larger than 9"-10". This skews the bass population to toward high numbers of small bass eating basically small fish of both BG & YP. IMO the bass will prefer YP to BG because YP are easier to swallow whole compared to BG. Thus for a better YP pond you will have to focus your management efforts on manually removing small BG using traps and a seine that is preferably 50 - 100ft long. Look into using Z traps and clover leaf traps - homemade or purchased - YouTube. If diligent in annually removing BG,, the pond should produce some decent sized YP. However you might have to stock several 5"-7" YP so they are not bass food to keep the YP population large enough to frequently catch 10"-12" YP. If you buy YP I would always try to buy YP that are pellet trained as it is a good investment because they grow pretty fast when you feed them.
IMO this is a good place to get minnow seines.
https://douglasnets.net/product-category/minnow-seines/

I think the minnow in the picture is a dace. Common to cool water streams. Very doubtful it will reproduce in the pond - stream yes, pond very unlikely
We are very interested in the progress of your pond. Please keep us updated about your pond management efforts and success.
It is possible that the BG that were introduced may not have been very many. If you are lucky the few BG were all males so you will not get any BG reproduction. The BG in your picture looked IMO to be a male. That is a big plus because it will be a lot easier management to get a good YP fishery if no BG are present. In that case just do as Sunil mentioned harvest every LMB caught. Just a few LMB can do a lot to control a YP population. Keep us updated.
Sorry for those of you who were following my pond stocking adventure. I got busy and forgot to give some updates. I was able to find 300 nice sized YP at the end of last summer. All between 5"-8". My hand is 7" finger to palm for reference in the attached photo. I think I was wrong on the plants that survived. I actually think it was the sagitaria that spread very well. I have 4 or 5 really nice dense patches that grew. with an average area of 10'x5'. They spread laterally very well. I will see if i can add some more corkscrew this summer when it warms up. The minnow population just exploded over last summer and into this spring. There is a small wild minnow that has gotten in that stays about an inch long, they are thick throughout the entire shoreline. I would estimate every cubic foot contains 40-50 of them. The spotfin shiners and the blunt nose minnows all made it through the winter, but they definitely have been thinned out. But even with the predation over the winter, there are considerably more than I planted last summer. I added more spawning habitat for them this spring, so i think they will keep doing well. They like to stick around the water inlet with the moving water. I saw no sign of perch, bluegill, or bass for months over the winter. They all headed to the deep holes. I finally had a nice clear sunny day last week and saw lots of perch! They have grown quite nicely since last summer. I sunk some Christmas trees and added some tree branches for them over the winter, so hopping I had a good spawn this spring. Unfortunately, the BG and LMB have also been multiplying. They are not overpopulating the YP as of yet, but I could see at least a 15-20 of them intermixed with the YP. I will see what kind of thinning I can do this summer. Any suggestions on disrupting their spawning cycles? I would love to figure out how to slow them down.

Attached picture Perch.jpg
I think(?) you might be able to disrupt the LMB spawn.

Since you have lots of water flow through, you could perhaps draw down the pond by as much as 5' during the height of the bass spawn. That could potentially wipe out a lot of bass nests.

Don't know in your pond how many LMB would spawn deeper than 5', or how many spawn a little early or a little late and would NOT be disrupted by your timed draw down.

I think it would be very difficult to disrupt the BG spawn. After the water gets warm enough for them, they will pull off several spawns throughout the late spring and summer. Even if you tried to destroy all of their preferred spawning habitat, I think they would still pull off some spawns. (That is why they are a great forage fish in most situations!)

I think the best thing for the LMB would be to catch as many as possible. There should be some times of the year with certain baits/lures that you would be catching mostly bass.
Rod, your drawn-down idea to disrupt the LMB spawn is a very interesting idea.

A 5' elevation drop, and return, seems pretty drastic, and I would think there would be other unknown consequences. But that's just some thoughts. I have no idea.

Along the same thoughts, maybe there are some other ways to mechanically affect the LMB spawn, that may help reduce numbers. If you could physically disturb a few nests, maybe that would be beneficial, but again, I have no idea.
A 5' elevation drop, and return, seems pretty drastic, and I would think there would be other unknown consequences. But that's just some thoughts. I have no idea.

I think the biggest drastic risk would be a heavy rain storm while the pond was drawn down. I fear water running down the usually submerged pond slopes could result in some nasty erosion of soft sediments with few plant roots. (I think the OP has enough water flow to quickly re-fill the pond?)

Don't know how the fish population would like it overall, but that is not in my area of expertise. However, I am pretty sure it would pi$$ off the spawning bass!
Target the LMB when they are spawning. The males are easy to catch when they are guarding the nest, and the females can be caught if they are hanging out around the nest getting ready to spawn. As for the BG, when they are nesting you can catch the males easily, and if you fish out about 2'-3' deeper than the BG nesting colony you can usually catch the female BG.

Easiest way to disrupt the spawning cycle is to catch and remove.
© Pond Boss Forum