Pond Boss
Posted By: Barracuda J strains of Largmouth Bass - 08/03/21 11:56 PM
Will be stocking a new pond soon and I'm looking at different strains of LB. Want to get some northerns floridas and f1 hybrids. Don't know if this is a good idea so anyone who has done this or thought about it I would appreciate the advice. Also of concern is what happens during spawning. Do different strains in a natral setting spawn with each other. If so is this bad? thanks
Posted By: anthropic Re: strains of Largmouth Bass - 08/04/21 01:19 AM
Lots of real experts here can weigh in, Cuda, but from what little I've learned any bass strain should do fine in Orange County. Generally the F1 strain is recommended for ponds less than five acres in size, while a mix of Floridas and Northerns is better suited for larger bodies of water. Pure Floridas sounds really good for lunkers, but many folks have run into trouble catching them on artificial lures once they get big as they are less aggressive than Northerns.

They cross breed with each other, which is not necessarily a bad thing. A Florida/Northern intergrade bass is currently the world record.
Posted By: ewest Re: strains of Largmouth Bass - 08/04/21 05:31 PM
Have stocked all separately and together. IMO best bet is some of each in your location. No spawning issues. Most importantly is the right number for your goal and plenty of forage fish to feed them.
© Pond Boss Forum