Pond Boss
Posted By: GAPRanch Stock or Not? - 06/06/21 07:40 PM
My little 1/2 surface acre pond finally is full again after spending the better part of 8 months bone dry. The last time it went dry was the 2011 drought so chances are it'll be okay for several years.

I'm not looking to become a pond expert. I really only want visiting kids to have a chance to fish for fun not food or trophy's.

Would it be worth stocking or should I just let nature take it's course?

A little bit about the pond:
It's located south of Abilene and east of San Angelo, TX.
Other than grass along the edge when it's full it doesn't ever seem to grow vegetation.
Muddy / silty bottom and murky water
I have a windmill aerator available (needs a new diaphragm installed)
I can set up a pellet feeder if needed but I'd rather not.

Thanks, Art
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Stock or Not? - 06/06/21 08:18 PM
How deep is it when full?. Average depth of water. Does it stay muddy all the time? Have you considered having the water tested to see what you have/need for fish
Posted By: anthropic Re: Stock or Not? - 06/06/21 09:05 PM
Art, with your goals & muddy/murky water, I'd think about stocking bluegill and channel catfish. They should do fine under these conditions, whereas bass not so much.
Posted By: ewest Re: Stock or Not? - 06/06/21 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by anthropic
Art, with your goals & muddy/murky water, I'd think about stocking bluegill and channel catfish. They should do fine under these conditions, whereas bass not so much.

Only if you feed them. CC will not control BG population dynamics (likely over crowd and stunt). That means Art will be the population control.
Posted By: GAPRanch Re: Stock or Not? - 06/06/21 10:42 PM
How deep is it when full?. Average depth of water. Does it stay muddy all the time? Have you considered having the water tested to see what you have/need for fish

I'd guess when it's at maximum the depth is between 5-7 feet. It does stay muddy. I wouldn't know where to begin on water testing but I could do that.

I'd think about stocking bluegill and channel catfish. They should do fine under these conditions

That's what was there before the last drought. I don't know if the previous owner stocked them or they ended up there naturally. The BG were a little melinistic looking probably due to the muddy water. The population was not excessive as far as I could tell.
Posted By: esshup Re: Stock or Not? - 06/06/21 10:59 PM
I'd say go with Hybrid Bluegills and the Channel Cats. BUT, if you want the fish to grow larger, I'd feed 'em.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: Stock or Not? - 06/06/21 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by GAPRanch

I'd guess when it's at maximum the depth is between 5-7 feet. It does stay muddy. I wouldn't know where to begin on water testing but I could do that.

I'd think about stocking bluegill and channel catfish. They should do fine under these conditions

That's what was there before the last drought. I don't know if the previous owner stocked them or they ended up there naturally. The BG were a little melinistic looking probably due to the muddy water. The population was not excessive as far as I could tell.

I like anthropic's idea and since they've been there before ... you know it would work again until the next extensive drought. Eric is spot on that BG will probably not grow large. But every pond is different ... how big did those BG get before? You might get similar mileage this time around. I fish 3 acre pond with that combination and the CC grow well. The BG are stalling at 5" but there are bigger GSF and hybrids. Hybrids are common possibly due to the muddy water. But guess what? The kids do like to catch them and its a favored pond of theirs. The BG would provide forage for the CC both while the BG live and when BG die of natural causes. I think it would be much better for the CC to have them alongside than to be cultured alone
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Stock or Not? - 06/07/21 01:35 AM
Art, I have one about that size and depth just South of Bowie. I have catfish and green sunfish. I feed them when I get there. Since it’s a mile, I have to use a 4 wheeler and enjoy feeding them.

The cats keep the sunfish in check so they don’t over spawn. I started with 25 cats about 6 or 7 years ago but now a bunch less. We call the cats Hoover’s since they vacuum food off the top.

Consider it.
Posted By: GAPRanch Re: Stock or Not? - 06/07/21 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
Art, I have one about that size and depth just South of Bowie. I have catfish and green sunfish. I feed them when I get there. Since it’s a mile, I have to use a 4 wheeler and enjoy feeding them.

The cats keep the sunfish in check so they don’t over spawn. I started with 25 cats about 6 or 7 years ago but now a bunch less. We call the cats Hoover’s since they vacuum food off the top.

Consider it.

Sounds like a plan. Where did you buy them? What can I expect to pay for similar?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Stock or Not? - 06/07/21 04:48 PM
I bought bluegills yesterday from Pond King West of Gainesville . Not many fish available this year or most sold out quickly.
Posted By: GAPRanch Re: Stock or Not? - 06/07/21 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
I bought bluegills yesterday from Pond King West of Gainesville . Not many fish available this year or most sold out quickly.
Just talked to Pond King and he doesn't think they'll make the trip that far. Is there a fish farm closer anyone can recommend?
Posted By: GAPRanch Re: Stock or Not? - 06/07/21 08:27 PM
Found a guy out of Dublin TX that'll work. Thanks for the help y'all.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Stock or Not? - 06/08/21 11:37 AM
Who is it?
© Pond Boss Forum