Pond Boss
Simple survey Y/N. Have you had BG nipping at you when you swim in your pond(s)?

My family's experience: No Nipping.
Augie, I'll put you down for a Yes.
Yes
Yes!! But mine are HBG.
Theo,

I cannot recall being nipped by any fish while swimming. But while resting on my dock with my feet dangling in the water, I have received some nibbling particularly around my toes, where BG did give me a bit of a pedicure. Now just to be sure, I would not qualify that as a nip. I qualify a nip to be like the one's I get from my 16 year old toothless toy terrier. She is cantankerous and you just never know what mood she's in. Other folks would have put her down many moons ago.

Now I've been bitten by some fish that can make you think twice about what you are doing. I reached my finger into a 10 lb CC's mouth last fall to free a deep hook and he clamped down. I am always amazed about how much grip they have when this happens. By far, the worst bites were by Blue cats and Flatheads when noodling ... but that's kinda what that is all about.
Bluegill or sunfish biting swimmers has a lot to do with what swimmers are doing. IMO BG nor any type of panfish do not bite or nibble on active, splashing swimmers. BUT let that swimmer be idle and quietly resting then all bets are off for fish biting. Sunfish especially those related to green sunfish genetics or over crowded and trending toward stunted BG are the ones most likely to "attack" people in the water. These fish are hungry and when they see a mole(aka to fish a snail), nipple (again snail or pellet) or waving hairs (aquatic worms) they are seen as likely and inviting food items. An idle, resting swimmer with tasty looking underwater food attached and hungry sunfish present is inviting underwater trouble.
I let guests swim first. Courtesy is important!
Sunfish nibbling on us and our friends has never rally been a concern. Its not like they are piranhas. However, we are country folks. Get a lot more torn up by thorn bushes while hunting morels.
N
It has only happened to me once.
Never noticed it in lakes or pond. Could pellet trained fish be more inclined to nip? Ill have to pay more attention.
© Pond Boss Forum