Pond Boss
Posted By: Kyscentlok Female Bass Studies? - 04/02/21 02:22 AM
I get tons of awesome information on this site, pond boss magazine and videos. Bob Lusk is always talking about 95% of bass over 3pbs are females . Is there any detailed studies showing these numbers. When speaking to other pond managers and fishermen no one believes me. Thanks for any help
Posted By: Steve_ Re: Female Bass Studies? - 04/02/21 02:30 AM
Not sure what your question is. Are you saying that you heard Mr. Lusk say that all Bass over 3 lbs are females? Or that 95% of ALL Bass are 3+ lb females? Generally speaking, females are larger than the males in the Bass world, but I'm not quite sure how to answer your question.
Posted By: ewest Re: Female Bass Studies? - 04/02/21 02:35 AM
Most of the LMB over 3 lbs are female. Not sure what the % is but most male LMB are small , under 3 lbs. this is more pronounced in Fla LMB than in northern strain LMB.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Female Bass Studies? - 04/02/21 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by Kyscentlok
I get tons of awesome information on this site, pond boss magazine and videos. Bob Lusk is always talking about 95% of bass over 3pbs are females . Is there any detailed studies showing these numbers. When speaking to other pond managers and fishermen no one believes me. Thanks for any help

Quite a few years ago, I was told that bass were hermaphrodites. Almost all were born male, but changed into female when they got to a certain size -- near 3 pounds, if I recall correctly.

That theory is discredited now, but it was likely created to explain the vast preponderance of large female bass vs males.
Posted By: Steve_ Re: Female Bass Studies? - 04/02/21 07:27 PM
I see you edited your post, that makes more sense now. Like ewest said, yes, *most* bass over 3 pounds are in fact females.

Here's an interesting article pertaining to Florida LMB: https://bassfishingfl.com/species/largemouth/

Males seldom exceed 16 inches, while females frequently surpass 22 inches. At five years of age females may be twice the weight of males. One-year old bass average about seven inches in length and grow to an adult size of 10 inches in about 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 years. The oldest bass from Florida whose age has been determined by fisheries biologists was 16 year of age. Generally, trophy bass (10 pounds and larger) are about 10 years old.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Female Bass Studies? - 04/05/21 05:03 PM
If Lusk says it, you can take it to the bank.
© Pond Boss Forum