Pond Boss
Posted By: Chandler1 Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/24/20 09:19 PM
My pond is almost full! Where can I buy fish in wise county Texas!
At this time I would think twice about adding fish. The hot water stresses them.
Posted By: Chandler1 Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/24/20 10:54 PM
Aww, Dave! I was afraid someone would say that. I was so looking forward to watching the fish in my new pond. No minnows even?
Posted By: anthropic Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/25/20 03:47 AM
You could stock fish now, but it wouldn't be Wise.
Posted By: Chandler1 Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/25/20 01:11 PM
Well, crappie. I really wanted to perch on my rock and and I’ll reely miss it. But where there’s a gill there’s a way.
Posted By: Zep Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/25/20 10:16 PM
How big is your pond?
Posted By: Chandler1 Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/25/20 10:30 PM
With Bill Cody's help it is 12000 FT3 IS 88,800 TO 91000 GALLONS AT OVERFLOW - 0.27 ACRE FEET OF WATER.

8 ft deep at the center.
Where is wise county located?
Posted By: Zep Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/26/20 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Chandler1
0.27 ACRE FEET OF WATER

Chandler I don't know of a hatchery near you, but I am assuming 0.27 acres would be a relatively small order especially if you want delivery.

Depending on how much you spend you may find a delivery truck from a fish supplier.

Otherwise you will have to drive to a hatchery and transport the fish back to your place in bags.

Or buy fish from a fish-truck.

It is generally frowned upon buying fish from a truck, but if it's your only practical choice then hey.

Russell Feed and Supply in Decatur, Texas (Wise County) appears to have fish trucks stop there during fish stocking seasons. You could call them and ask about fish stocking trucks and when the trucks will be back.

Russel Feed and Supply Decatur, Texas (Wise County)
Posted By: Zep Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/26/20 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Where is wise county located?

Pat...Wise County is north/west of Dallas.

Wise County, Texas
Posted By: Chandler1 Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/26/20 03:25 AM
I've called the feed store and others and the fish truck won't deliver again until September. I haven't called yet, the in Gainesville, there's a place called Pond King. When we are ready, they may be the best choice. I may have to throw my husband in just so I can watch something swim around in there.
Dang shore hope he can swim!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/26/20 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by Chandler1
I've called the feed store and others and the fish truck won't deliver again until September. I haven't called yet, the in Gainesville, there's a place called Pond King. When we are ready, they may be the best choice. I may have to throw my husband in just so I can watch something swim around in there.

You can add to the fun by telling him you've seen a couple of big gators in the pond.
The bottom line is that if Pond King or anyone else recommends stocking this time of year, move on. The chances of fish survival isn’t very good in hot weather.
Can you measure the water temps throughout the water column?

If the pond's water depth is nearly 8 feet now, and a thermocline is developing, would there be cool water down deep that would still be well oxygenated and would give newly stocked fish a thermal refuge with sufficient oxygen?

Obviously, this last question is for our pond gurus.
Posted By: Zep Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/26/20 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
The chances of fish survival isn’t very good in hot weather.

Dave I was shocked today when I stuck my hand down into the minnow bucket to grab a minnow that a friend left yesterday. That water was WARM! It was so warm I thought "I am surpised these last few minners are alive".
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/27/20 02:50 AM
Why not look for a bait shop that sells FHM? That is what I did. You need to get them started anyway and it will give you something to feed and watch for now. I thought it was a lot of fun watching them. I started with a few hundred and had thousands by the end of the year.
Posted By: Chandler1 Re: Where in wise Co tx can I buy fish - 07/27/20 09:47 PM
We bought 5 lbs of FHM today. We will wait until fall to add more fish.

We also bought floating fish food.

How much and how often should I feed them?
I would feed them every day. It will take some time for them to get acclimated.
© Pond Boss Forum