Pond Boss
Posted By: willywonka Silver Bass - 07/03/19 10:30 AM
I have a 1.5 acre pond with a good portion 14 ft deep with an average of 8 to 10 . Last year while fishing on Lake Erie I caught a nice Silver Bass so I thought why not see if he’ll do good in my pond . Well I haven’t seen him or caught him in a year until last night when I was feeding my bluegill he came up and started crushing the pellets he Must of got 50 of them .

It has me dreaming of top water fishing . He looked really fat and healthy after a year of being in the pond.

Does anybody have experience with them in ponds? I particularly want to know if they will Spawn in there.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Silver Bass - 07/03/19 11:41 AM
What is a Silver Bass? Never herd of that type of fish. Maybe an HSB?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Silver Bass - 07/03/19 12:20 PM
Originally Posted By: TGW1
What is a Silver Bass? Never herd of that type of fish. Maybe an HSB?

White bass I believe.
Posted By: Acoursey Re: Silver Bass - 07/03/19 12:40 PM
They will not spawn in the pond. I've worked with a few ponds stocked with feed trained white bass. They did pretty well, but HSB seemed to outlive, outgrow, and maintain better body condition.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Silver Bass - 07/03/19 12:51 PM
Silver Bass...AKA White Bass or Sand Bass.

I don't know much about the White's, but I think they are big open water fish and prefer running waters to spawn.
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Silver Bass - 07/03/19 01:00 PM
HSB would be much better than pure bred whites - they have more potential for growth and overall size, most come feed trained from suppliers, etc. The only source for pure whites you're going to find is a rod, reel and bucket.
Posted By: SWMO 2 Re: Silver Bass - 07/03/19 01:25 PM
I threw one in my pond this spring, I have not seen it since so I don't know if it made it or not.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Silver Bass - 07/03/19 08:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Matzilla
HSB would be much better than pure bred whites - they have more potential for growth and overall size, most come feed trained from suppliers, etc. The only source for pure whites you're going to find is a rod, reel and bucket.

+1
Posted By: willywonka Re: Silver Bass - 07/04/19 10:41 PM
Ok thx. I don’t think there are any suppliers of HSB in Ontario so maybe I’ll give them a try ... when you find them on Erie it’s easy to catch a bunch. Having some in my pond as a bonus fish would be fun ... I like the idea of not spawning. That’s why I put in 40 Walleye..
© Pond Boss Forum