Pond Boss
Posted By: JoeG Finding Dead Yellow Perch, No Idea why - 04/22/16 04:33 PM
I have been finding a few dead yellow perch in my pond and no real clue as to why. I have always found a couple each spring time after ice out but never found any this late in the spring unless they were caught and released with injury that they later succumbed too. I am curious if it is old age? I do have some fish that were hand caught when I stocked in 2009 that could have been stunted, I'm not alarmed as with any body of water there are casualties I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas what causes this.

I found one this morning that was a 16 incher, biggest I've ever caught was 15 1/2 so I can't imagine my management is way off for my intended goals.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Finding Dead Yellow Perch, No Idea why - 04/22/16 06:14 PM
I bet old age. I have read that perch will live pellet fed 5-8 years and natural 10-15 max.

16" I am guessing old age if no holes in them. I have seen the great blue heron stab my perch when spawning in close to shore and not be able to eat them, but there is two big holes in them from the beak.
I lose a half a dozen each year from spawning stress. It happens a little after peak spawning and can last a few weeks.

Did they seem to still have eggs inside? With mine it's like they can't pass the eggs, or reabsorbing the eggs was too much for them. I do know reabsorbing eggs is stressful on fish.

Old age could be it too, as 16 inches is about as big as they get.

If it's just a few I wouldn't be too concerned.
Posted By: JoeG Re: Finding Dead Yellow Perch, No Idea why - 04/23/16 10:52 AM
Thanks guys, I usually feed them to my hickens anyway so they don't really go to waste when I find them. Once the turtles get active I won't find any at all I am sure.
© Pond Boss Forum