Pond Boss
Posted By: Bullhead YP and LMB in the same pond - 04/10/15 05:33 PM
I was wondering what would happen if you stocked YP at the same time as LMB in a new pond in which you previously stocked BG.
My guess is they would be okay for awhile but the bass would soon start picking off the small ones and work their way up the size chart. A few large females might make it awhile but reproduction would be nil.
Is that about right?
Posted By: Omaha Re: YP and LMB in the same pond - 04/10/15 05:39 PM
That is typically correct. Unless there is an lot of vegetative cover, yellow perch usually don't stand much of a chance against largemouth.
Posted By: dane Re: YP and LMB in the same pond - 04/10/15 06:22 PM
What do you think the result would be if HSB were stocked with YP and BG instead of LMB and supplemental feed was utilized? Would the YP stand any better chance?
Posted By: Bullhead Re: YP and LMB in the same pond - 04/10/15 06:25 PM
Welcome to the board!
I'm going to guess they would stand a better chance because of the HSB's smaller gape size.
Posted By: Omaha Re: YP and LMB in the same pond - 04/10/15 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Bullhead
Welcome to the board!
I'm going to guess they would stand a better chance because of the HSB's smaller gape size.

This, and HSB do not related to structure/cover quite like LMB and YP.
Posted By: dane Re: YP and LMB in the same pond - 04/10/15 08:06 PM
Thanks for the welcome. We just finished our pond last October. A little more than an acre and 14' and 12' at each end with about 9' in between. We have aerator diffusers in each end. Got the FHM and BG in before freeze. Trying to decide whether to put in LMB and CC or go with YP and HSB with maybe a few CC. I'm thinking the YP/HSB route might be more fun. I've been reading the forum for a while now and would very much appreciate your opinions.
Posted By: Omaha Re: YP and LMB in the same pond - 04/10/15 08:15 PM
Welcome, from another Husker!

Unfortunately, you'll probably need to use LMB to control the BG. No other species can control BG populations like LMB can. You can certainly still add HSB as a bonus fish, and we would all suggest you do.
© Pond Boss Forum