Pond Boss
Posted By: cardell For Louisiana pond owners - 06/21/14 01:51 PM
Anyone from Louisiana stocked their pond with anything other than sunfish or catfish? I'm just curious as to what else has been stocked in our own Louisiana private ponds. I stocked sunfish and CC because that's what I was told to do. But I have always wondered what else has been tried.

P.S. I have considered spotted gar addition.
Posted By: Sandman Re: For Louisiana pond owners - 07/10/14 11:18 PM
I have a new pond where we are building a house. So far I have put fathead minnows in, and plan to add bluegill and a few bass later on. It is about 3/4 acre.
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: For Louisiana pond owners - 07/11/14 12:29 AM
There are a number of stocking combinations recommended for Louisiana ponds. Literature is available at the office of any Louisiana County Agent.
Posted By: djstauder Re: For Louisiana pond owners - 07/11/14 02:04 PM
Cardell, I live in La. but my pond is in Miss. I've got the sunfish (BG) and LMB configuration. Even though larger (2+ pounds) CC eat sunfish, I would think your sunfish would over-populate and stunt in that sunfish/CC combination
Posted By: Beaux Re: For Louisiana pond owners - 07/11/14 06:23 PM
Originally Posted By: cardell
Anyone from Louisiana stocked their pond with anything other than sunfish or catfish? I'm just curious as to what else has been stocked in our own Louisiana private ponds. I stocked sunfish and CC because that's what I was told to do. But I have always wondered what else has been tried.

P.S. I have considered spotted gar addition.

At my last place I stocked Coppernose, Redear and LMB. My pond was about 3/4 acre. Coppernose and LMB were very sucessful but I never caught any of the Redear so I'm not sure how they did. Before selling I was able to fish and manage the pond for about 3 years and all looked good. The Coppernose were fed high protein pellet food.

I am getting ready to dig another pond about 1 1/2 acres and will use the same stocking plan but on a larger scale.

Dudley is right though, there are different stocking combinations that can be successful in La. The LSU Ag Center online has a good article on Louisiana

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/crops_live...sh_Populations/
Posted By: djstauder Re: For Louisiana pond owners - 07/14/14 12:58 PM
Beaux,
I hadn't seen that article... Interesting reading but the black and white pictures of the fish leave something to be desired...
Posted By: Beaux Re: For Louisiana pond owners - 07/14/14 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: djstauder
Beaux,
I hadn't seen that article... Interesting reading but the black and white pictures of the fish leave something to be desired...

I agree about the pictures eek
Posted By: Sandman Re: For Louisiana pond owners - 09/03/14 01:58 AM
Stocked FHM minnows and you can walk across the pond on them already. Adding CNBG and RES in a couple of weeks. Starting to get a little fired up!
© Pond Boss Forum