Pond Boss
Posted By: teehjaeh57 YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/14 08:35 PM
Have 200 caged F and M YP and am ready to stock my YP reproduction cell which is about .2 acres for the first season ever.

Need recommendations on QTY of brood fish to stock. I am planning on selecting my healthiest F and M YP, just need to know good numbers.

I will be adding some branches to help facilitate strand laying...appreciate the guidance in advance. I'd prefer to keep brood qty as low as possible to help reduce cannibalism.

Bill, Cecil...anyone?

TJ
Posted By: sprkplug Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/14 08:39 PM
TJ I can't help you, but I'm excited to see what kind of results you get. Good stuff!!.....
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/14 09:08 PM
For good fertilization of eggs they suggest more males than females and a ratio of 10:1 or more. Cecil will have input. You can get fertilization with a 50:50 mix but you will likely see eggs in the strands that are not fertilized.

One thing you can do is keep all or some the fish in the cage until they lay eggs. Cecil and I get YP laying eggs in cages all the time. Remove selected egg strands and hatch them in the pond on brush, baskets or live boxes. After the spawn hand pick the YP you want to grow out and continue as brood stock. One year old males from the 2014 hatch will be available to fertilize next years egg strands.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/14 09:42 PM
Do you think that I will have enough males in the 25 8-9" YP that I bought last year to get a population going in my 1 acre pond?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/14 10:21 PM
Thanks bill for .2 acre cell can you recommend qty? Is 5 f and 50 m too light?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 12:21 AM
Bill is spot on as usual.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 12:22 AM
Originally Posted By: RAH
Do you think that I will have enough males in the 25 8-9" YP that I bought last year to get a population going in my 1 acre pond?

Any largemouth bass? If so what size?
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 12:24 AM
No bass, only FHM, GSH, and small RES.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 12:43 AM
Cecil, let me know what you recommend on stocking qty when time allows, or I'll call you later or tomorrow.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 12:55 AM
No bass, only FHM, GSH, and small RES.

I think that will work but they will probably get to the point you need a predator. Is this the proposed smallmouth pond?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 01:09 AM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Cecil, let me know what you recommend on stocking qty when time allows, or I'll call you later or tomorrow.

Is this just to produce fingerlings or if not, what is the purpose? Sorry if I missed the post.

To produce fingerlings in my 1/10th acre pond I put about 5 females in a 5 x 5 cage with about 15 males, I also bundle some willow branches on the bottom with yellow polypropylene rope and part of a cinder block to weight it down.

There's possibility the branches aren't even necessary.

This year I will be trying something different.Since my fish are essentially ornamental fish and not destined for the table, I will be injecting the females with Ovaprim to synchronize the spawning. One of the problems with spawning several females is they do not spawn all at once, which can cause a size disparity and subsequent cannabilism of offspring.

http://www.wchemical.com/ovaprim-ovammmlu010.html

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 01:19 AM
RAH with only 25 YP all 8"-9" you may have mostly females. It can depend on their age. For good production I like to buy a mix of sizes. YP are relatively cheap so in my pond I try to suppress production. And each year buy 30-50 quality pellet trained YP to replace what is harvested. With one sizable egg strand from a female YP 8"-10" long one can easily get 7,000 - 10,000 fry. If the pond does not have significant predation one can easily have way too many fingerling YP and their growth is thus only moderate to slow. I want my YP to be mostly all large and move quickly into the 12" size class.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Is this just to produce fingerlings or if not, what is the purpose? Sorry if I missed the post.

To produce fingerlings in my 1/10th acre pond I put about 5 females in a 5 x 5 cage with about 15 males, I also bundle some willow branches on the bottom with yellow polypropylene rope and part of a cinder block to weight it down.

There's possibility the branches aren't even necessary.

This year I will be trying something different.Since my fish are essentially ornamental fish and not destined for the table, I will be injecting the females with Ovaprim to synchronize the spawning. One of the problems with spawning several females is they do not spawn all at once, which can cause a size disparity and subsequent cannabilism of offspring.

http://www.wchemical.com/ovaprim-ovammmlu010.html

Yes Cecil, this is a YP reproduction cell - first time I'm attempting it. I may need more details on the fertilized egg strand idea regarding timing and moving it into the cell. Sure would solve a lot of problems having to feed adult YP and worrying about constant cannibalism. If it's too much to type I can reach out tomorrow.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 01:51 AM
Sure just call me.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 03:51 AM
Cecil and Bill should write a article, wait a book on YP!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 04:16 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Cecil and Bill should write a article, wait a book on YP!

I wish. Bill knows a lot more than I do!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 04:22 AM
I agree Travis...I will edit it for an autographed copy.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 11:39 AM
So maybe I should just wait and see, and not add the SMB until I see babies?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 03:57 PM
Waiting to see young YP is my usual suggestion for the first stocking of SMB. In a relatively weed free pond the predation by SMB on YP often eventually out paces the YP production. Good management is important for producing a high quality YP fishery with SMB that annually recruit new smallies. Adequate forage is often the weak link in a YP-SMB pond which is why I like to use pellet trained stockers with YP&SMB combination.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 05:27 PM
That is good info. I need to wait until the weeds start growing before adding the SMB. I considered adding small SMB this fall - just a few, but maybe fall of 2015 or spring of 2016 would be better. I do not plan to feed.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 08:36 PM
With no feeding and unless you keep the densities low expect slow growth of YP and SMB especially after the pond is 4-6yrs old.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/14 10:42 PM
I think that if I know what needs removing, I will have no trouble finding volunteers to remove them. Of course that is a big if.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 01:24 PM
I put 25 8-9" YP and 25 3-4" RES in a 1 acre pond with GS and FHM in the fall of 2013. When can I expect to see some YP fry? When should I start looking for egg strands in central Indiana?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 01:40 PM
RAH,

Did you have a spawn 2014? I stocked 50 YP 5 to 7 inches last fall and was told to expect a spawn this year by both Bill C. and the biologist at the fish farm I use.

Edit: Do you have a lot of branch type structure for the spawn habitat? I read a paper by Dave Willis that stated, in the absence of branch type structure, the YP will lay the strands on the bottom of the pond and survival will be very low, if at all.
Posted By: fishm_n Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 01:51 PM
Tj Are these for adding into one of your ponds some day or other use?
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 02:03 PM
I have a several branch piles and spruce trees in the pond, but did not see any small YP last year (or egg strands).
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 02:21 PM
Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to raise YP for the first time as well and hoping we can learn from each other's experiences.

1) You said yer stockers were 8 to 9 inch. Are you sure you have a good mix of female and male?

2) I have my pond heavy with FHM right now in hopes that if the YP do spawn, they will continue to use the FHM as forage instead of their own spawn. What are you using as YP forage?
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 03:56 PM
I do not know the sex of the YP and that does worry me. I am hoping that at least one male and female survived. The fish were very expensive which seems like a mistake now since I did not get an apparent spawn in 2014. I am hoping that the YP will feed on FHM, and was also hoping to see some young GSH, but all I see are FHM. Maybe the other species just need more time to build?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 04:22 PM
Not an expert and hopefully one will chime in. I would try to catch a few now. I would think the females will be full of eggs. In a couple of months, not sure how you can tell male from female if the females have never spawned.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 04:24 PM
Even without males, shouldn't I see egg ribbons?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 04:35 PM
I guess I always thought you needed males to induce females to spawn, but I dun know for sure. Hopefully, TJ, Bill C. or another YP expert will see these posts and shed some light for us.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 07:38 PM
Some of the gravid females will drop their eggs if no males are present. A significant percentage of females without males may not lay the eggs and then reabsorb them. In mid-Indiana one should begin seeing eggs mid-March and for the next 2 maybe 3 weeks. In northern OH during years with a warm spring I will see my first eggs the last week of March. Watch your water temperatures and look for eggs when the surface water 12"-24" deep is 48F to 50F. All YP egg laying is usually finished when the water is consistently 60F. When I hear pond toads trilling my YP spawn has usually ended.

If your brush structure is deep below the water transparency depth it is likely you won't see egg ribbons. I always place my brush /tree tops in shallow water 4"-24" deep along the shoreline so any eggs on or near the tree twigs are visible in calm water. YP ribbons look like toilet paper in the water; strung out or clumped.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/29/15 08:35 PM
Thanks Bill.

Based on Rah's scenario, he stocked 25 YP 8 to 9 in 2013 and saw no sign of spawn or small YP in 2014, how would you proceed?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/30/15 03:33 PM
How to proceed will depend on your goals. If my only goal is to have a YP spawn in mid Indiana, then I would add more YP now (asap) that were mature fish, mixed sex, and soon to spawn in the next 1-3 weeks. Or he could buy some YP eggs. I discard YP eggs each spring as a form of population control. It also depends on how much one wants YP in the pond. RAH has been in the past hesitant to travel several hours to get fish. All this fish growing stuff depends on how much one wants results. Sometimes it takes good preplanning, sacrifice, and/or money to get your desired results.

If again there is no YP spawn in 2015 then he has to wait another year to see if a spawn occurs. Although there is still the option of buying fingerlings this spring or this fall which could have been done in fall 2014, to insure presence of male YP for the spawn of 2015. One year old male YP are fertile.

Adding fingerlings during a poor spawn year improves or bolsters the year class strength of that species. When one stocks fingerling YP they are thin bodied fish and are easy prey for some small predators. Thus it is important to consider what predators are present, their density, and what other available forage foods are present before supplemental stocking of any fingerlings.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/30/15 07:29 PM
Sorry guys late to this...what is/are the specific questions? I'm sure Cody already hammered them, if not, restate please I'll do my best. Seems like every response poses new questions...so, what are they - like, point by point?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/30/15 07:59 PM
TJ,

It started like this

"Based on Rah's scenario, he stocked 25 YP 8 to 9 in 2013 and saw no sign of spawn or small YP in 2014, how would you proceed?"

Biil C. provided an input.

Second question

"Will female YP produce egg ribbons even if there are no males in the pond?"

Bill C. provided an input.

As always, more thoughts are always appreciated!!

Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/30/15 08:47 PM
First egg ribbons seen today. There are several on just one of the older brush piles that has a lot of algae growing around and on the branches. They are not large ribbons and are very white. Will they change color over time if fertile? If so, how long does this take?
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/30/15 09:24 PM
Most of the time if you can see the eggs well a small black dot will appear if fertilized. If not they will stay white.

I stocked 400 from 4-8" in our 1 acre pond and only seen ribbons the first year stocked. Last year we didn't see any. Last year we didn't see or catch any young perch in the minnow trap. I do wonder if the ice is late (like this year again here) for the day light hours if the perch will just not spawn.

Our perch did something odd last year too and went off the feed in June. I am hoping it was from the massive abundant common shiners and FHM. We back the feed off and feed the minnows all summer. Perch didn't go back on the feed in the fall like they were not even there.

With a hook and a minnow they would just smash it. Had some that were 12"s.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/30/15 10:17 PM
YP eggs will appear cream or whitish as they are in the water. To tell if they are fertilized pull a small piece off the ribbon or look at the ribbon closely. If the centers are amber or clear-yellow colored they are fertile if the centers are white they were not fertilized. You may see amber and white egg centers in the same strand indicating partial fertilization of the strand and due to too few males. As the eggs develop after 5-7 days the centers will appear dark due development of the eyes on the embryo.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/30/15 10:47 PM
Thank you Bill! I'll report back.
Posted By: fishm_n Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/15 03:49 AM
RaH. Are you tempted to cage the single strand to keep predators away?? Birds, turtles?
Posted By: fishm_n Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/15 03:52 AM
I have a several branch piles and spruce trees in the pond, but did not see any small YP last year (or egg strands).

Also curious how the spruce hold up? The spruce I have seen in water next to long pines seem to hold up better. What do you notice?
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/15 11:07 AM
I have not thought about caging the eggs (several strands on one brush pile). Is egg predation typically a big problem? I really do not know whether spruce hold up better than pine, but my guess is that they do. I have a surplus of both, but mostly spruce. The trees are from thinning trees we started planting 25 years ago. I am adding these to the new pond until the plants get going full bore. I have plenty of reeds and water lilies in my older pond.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/15 01:13 PM
Supposedly YP eggs have an off flavor to deter consumption of the eggs. The only thing that I've noticed around or bothering YP eggs are bullfrog tadpoles. I'm not sure if the tadpoles are eating the eggs.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/15 04:46 PM
You are a wealth of knowledge! I always love getting advice supporting me not having another chore to do:)
Posted By: fishm_n Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/15 05:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Supposedly YP eggs have an off flavor to deter consumption of the eggs. The only thing that I've noticed around or bothering YP eggs are bullfrog tadpoles. I'm not sure if the tadpoles are eating the eggs.

Thanks. Good to know
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 03/31/15 06:18 PM
Also ducks and geese do not seem to eat the eggs. When YP eggs are laid (43F-54F) it usually too cold for turtles to be active. I saw eggs Mar 30 in water temperature of 43F.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/15 12:31 AM
Well I've learned a lot from this thread. Looks like I've, more than likely, missed the spawn for this year. I'll just have to hope they get it done next year.
I won't receive fish for a few weeks.
I'm looking at stocking:
1000, 2-4" YP, 300, 4-7" YP, and 20# adult YP into a acre and a half new pond that's about 12' deep with 8' average depth.
I'll put in SMB this fall (hopefully) I put in FHM last summer, and I'm adding more now along with some GS.
Does this sound like a sound plan to you guys?
I do plan on running a feeder now, and getting aeration set up "next" summer.
Jeff
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/15 12:44 AM
IMHO With a forage base like that and a cool water fish pond I would be looking at dropping in some bonus WE 4 to 6 inch. Not sure I would put in the GSH but that's just me. I see GSH and LMB together, not SMB. I would be looking at BNM and/or SFS to add forage for the YP. IMHO I would want my SMB focused on YP a couple years from now, not GSH. Yer WE and larger YP could hammer the SMB spawn.
Posted By: fishm_n Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/15 03:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
it usually too cold for turtles to be active. I saw eggs Mar 30 in water temperature of 43F.

I believe it's too cold for most turtles, there have been sightings of a massive snapper by a pond soon to be dug out and stocked w bg and yp for a guys grandkids andnext to a Creek I trap bait out of. Not sure the turtles story but the grandpa has some feelings about it.

Poor turtle. Sort-of.... Bill Cody do you think yp eggs repellent snapp er s too?
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/15 11:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
IMHO With a forage base like that and a cool water fish pond I would be looking at dropping in some bonus WE 4 to 6 inch. Not sure I would put in the GSH but that's just me. I see GSH and LMB together, not SMB. I would be looking at BNM and/or SFS to add forage for the YP. IMHO I would want my SMB focused on YP a couple years from now, not GSH. Yer WE and larger YP could hammer the SMB spawn.

Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to add some WE, and HSB.
One question, and I'm sure this will show my total ignorance regarding stocking plans. Why would I want the SMB focused on the YP, and not GSH? I haven't added the GSH yet. Would I "not" want the WE, and YP to hammer the SMB spawn?
Thx
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/15 12:06 PM
FWIW my thought is you need a predator(s) controlling YP YOY so I would want my SMB and WE focused on them. I would want the YP and WE hammering the SMB spawn to control their numbers. I would want a minnow species that will rarely out grow the mouth gap of a larger YP. GSH to me, in the absence of LMB, can grow to a large size and compete with your YP and minnows for forage.

Keep in mind, I am not a pro. I am sure somebody will offer some more experienced opinions.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/15 01:18 PM
Makes sense to me Bill.
Thanks
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/15 11:22 PM
New question....

I stocked my YP last October at 5 to 7 inches. The pond was packed full of FHM (and still is). Will YP grow over the winter given enough forage or do they pretty much just maintain their size till spring?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/15 11:24 PM
Get outside and go catch one and measure it !

LOL
Pat
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/01/15 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Get outside and go catch one and measure it !

LOL
Pat

I dun want to disturb the expectant mothers! smile I just hope they're still in there. Only fish I have seen so far this spring are tons of 1.5 to 2 inch FHM. I have seen a few fast moving V shaped contrails moving across the pond surface though.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 12:11 AM
I don't think YP do much growing over winter. However with ample food they can gain a little weight and maintain body fat. Females will get plump with eggs.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 12:35 AM
Thanks Bill.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 12:48 AM
My yp egg masses seem to be disturbed and have algae growing over them.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 01:53 AM
What do you mean by "disturbed?"
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 02:12 AM
I am defintely not a pro. IMHO no evidence of spawn in 2014 and the algae growing on the eggs in 2015 suggests to me your strands have not been fertilized and you have mostly/all female YP.

Hopefully, a YP expert will weigh in.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 11:24 AM
It looks like they were dislodged from the sticks, but remained in the stick pile. Maybe ducks? The stick pile that the eggs were in was covered in algae while stick piles added this winter did not have algae or eggs on them.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 02:11 PM
I have never seen FA growing on YP eggs. As mentioned possibly your eggs are dead. Try doing what I suggested above. "To tell if they are fertilized pull a small piece off the ribbon or look at the ribbon closely. If the centers are amber or clear-yellow colored they are fertile if the centers are white they were not fertilized. You may see amber and white egg centers in the same strand indicating partial fertilization of the strand and due to too few males. As the eggs develop after 5-7 days the centers will appear dark due development of the eyes on the embryo." Dead eggs will have white centers and developing eggs close to hatching will have black centers.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 02:44 PM
Bill - I was planning to look at them after 5 days as you suggested. My eyes are not so good up close, so I thought that would be more definitive. Not sure how the rain will affect my plans. I am not sure if the algae is growing on the eggs or just entangled with them. I thought it odd that the YP chose the algae covered branches rather than the clean ones to lay their eggs on.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 05:49 PM
Take a close up clear in focus picture of the small section, post it, and I should be able to provide a good opinion.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 08:38 PM
Looks bad

Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 08:47 PM
I see what appear to be black dots in some of those eggs. I will be interested in Bill C's assessment.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/02/15 09:20 PM
These were eggs that something disturbed and were on the water surface.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 02:11 PM
I think those are all dead, unfertilized, eggs with varying degrees of decomposition. I did not see any egg that appeared to be developing normally. It was a pretty good close up picture.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 02:21 PM
OK - I need to find a source of some small YP.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 02:44 PM
RAH,

Do you know how big your YP are now?
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 02:50 PM
Nope - Have not ever seen one since stocking.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 04:08 PM
I think from the size of that partial egg mass it looks like it came from a 10"-12" perch.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 04:27 PM
Do you think that a YP that size would eat a 3.5" LCS?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 04:29 PM
""Do you think that a YP that size would eat a 3.5" LCS?" Probably not, especially if there were numerous FHM also in the pond. Do a little fishing to sample the size of your YP with a worm or FHM on a hook fished about 4-5ft deep under a pencil bobber. YP are actively feeding after spawning.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 05:04 PM
You would think with the large YP aquaculture industry in Indiana, it would not be so hard to find live YP for stocking! If I ever get a good population going, I need to team up with someone who sells fish.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 05:21 PM
Just a thought, you could always try one of the fish farms that ship them if you don't have a place within driving distance of yer place.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 05:29 PM
Please suggest a supplier. My Googling is not going well.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 05:49 PM
I have been able to get my fish within a couple hours drive so I can't vouch for these guys as I have never ordered fish from them. They have YP and they say they ship. I am considering trying them for papershell crawfish this summer.

http://www.smithcreekfishfarm.com/live-pond-fish.cfm

I am sure there are other suppliers, maybe somebody like Rainman or Bill C can suggest a source for Indiana.
Posted By: slabman98 Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 06:02 PM
RAH I'll send you a PM who I got them from last year. He's up your way. He brought mine to southern Indiana.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 06:04 PM
Thank you both. Southern Indiana is a long way off, but if they ship like Smith Creek, then I think a shorter distance would be safer.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 06:10 PM
RAH, my YP came from Martinsville. Not sure if they have any available now, but might not hurt to call?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 06:29 PM
American Pond & Lake Mgmt in Russiaville plans so have his own fingerlings this fall. Russiaville is a little SW of Kokomo. You could call him and ask if he is scheduled to have some YP available this spring. A demand for them may encourage him to get some in soon. 765-883-5718.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 07:25 PM
I may have lead and will get back to you all if this works out. It is likely the place that sprkplug got his.
Posted By: Rainman Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 10:21 PM
I'm running through IN shortly with YP
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 10:36 PM
RAH,

FWIW IMHO If Rex is coming within a couple hours of your place, I would sure see what he can do for ya. He knows your problem is mostly/all female YP in your pond. I don't want to make promises on his behalf but, I bet ya he could take a good run at getting you mostly male stockers.
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 11:37 PM
Please contact me. I am all ears!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/03/15 11:55 PM
RAH,

Make sure you offer him a bone in ribeye as part of the purchase price! grin
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/04/15 12:40 PM
After reading about RAH's experience with possibly having stocked mostly single sex YP, I wonder whether I may have inadvertently done the same thing. I stocked a single stocking of 5 to 7 inch fish. I have seen no sign of egg strands this spring. Is it possible I have stocked mostly single sex as well? Should you stock a couple different sizes when stocking YP to insure a good mix of male and female?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/04/15 02:42 PM
I found this article on determining sex of YP. Has anybody tried it out?

http://phys.org/news/2014-06-method-distinguishes-yellow-perch-females.html
Posted By: RAH Re: YP Reproduction pond guidance - 04/11/15 01:47 PM
I added 100 1-2" YP today. I am hoping some males survive being eaten by the 25 adult females cruising the pond! Hopefully the FHMs are more appetizing. Still hoping to get 25 3-4" YP when Rainman makes his Indiana run.
© Pond Boss Forum