Pond Boss
Posted By: Uncle E 1/2 acre pond in NW Virginia - 03/23/14 02:25 AM
Hello to all,

I've been reading this wonderful forum since November of 2013, and I subscribed to the magazine very soon afterwards. I enjoy reading all the suggestions and I look forward to using a lot of them in my own pond.

My pond was dug in late fall of 2013. It is 1/2 acre in size (138’ x 132’) with an average depth of 6’. I believe it is 8’ to 9’ at the deepest point. I wanted it to be about 40% larger & at least 3’ deeper, but the contractor hit solid limestone much sooner than we expected. I live in Warren County, VA about 75 miles west of Washington DC, right in the middle of limestone heaven!

The pond was built to have a quiet place to relax and to allow me and my friends and family a place to go fishing. I would like to be able to pull enough fish to put on the dinner table a few times each year, and maybe a late summer fish fry. My ultimate objective is a balanced pond with decent sized LMB (or whatever other predator fish I decide on) and pan fish. I am sure my wife will want a “pretty” fountain from Aqua Control.

Unfortunately, my pond filled very quickly before any structure, other than 2 rock piles in the deepest part, could be added. I am going to stack several clean pallets for FHM breeding in the shallow part. I plan to sink at least 6 cut cedar trees along the deeper “forest side” of the bank, and I have the materials to make 3 large fish trees and place them in 6’ – 8’ of water using a small boat.

I live within an hours drive to Zetts Fish Farm in WV, so stocking should be easy. I gave them a call last week and was told I could get fish as early as next week (3-28-14). I was considering the standard FHM/BKF/GSH - BG/RES/LMB stocking plan, but I am open to suggestions. I have also thought about HSB instead of LMB. I would also like to add some YP and/or BCP for a little bit of variety on the dinner table. I haven’t given any thought to CC. I don’t particularly care to eat CC, but maybe I need a few for reasons I haven’t considered?

After reading the forums for months, this is what I thought about stocking, please correct me as you see fit.

Spring 2014 - 3 pounds of FHM, 2 pounds each of BKF & GSH, 350 1"-2" BG & 100 1"-2" RES
Spring 2015 – 25 each 3"-4" LMB (Or whatever other predator fish the majority of people recommend)

I don’t have a problem feeding the fish since my pond is only steps away from my back door, and fish food is reasonably priced. I also believe that I can add aeration at a later date, if it is needed. Something else I have is time; I’m only 45 and have many years to do this right.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to reading the answers!

Description: the view from the shallow end towards the dam. The trees weren't supposed to be underwater, but the waterline is several feet higher than originally planed.
Attached picture DSCN0003.JPG

Description: The view towards the deeper "forest" side of the pond.
Attached picture DSCN0005.JPG

Description: View of the emergency spillway. It needs to be enlarged and lined with rip-rap.
Attached picture DSCN0008.JPG
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: 1/2 acre pond in NW Virginia - 03/23/14 04:25 AM
Uncle E, welcome to Pond Boss. I am glad you have enjoyed the forum. As you have already seen, there are a lot of great people on here. I live in Stafford County, VA and have several friends in the Linden/Front Royal/Winchester area. Very nice areas out your way... I drive through there a couple dozen times a year on my way up to our hunting cabin in PA down I-66/I-81.

Here's my take on things... I am not a fan of LMB in ponds less than 1 and even 2 acre except for very specific goals which you have not expressed. I think you would be better served leaving the BG and LMB out of your pond and going about your goals in a different manor. I would look at stocking RES and YP as your "panfish". You could also consider RBS. I am ordering some this spring and if you would like, I can share some with you as the minimum order is more than I will need. I would then consider HSB as your predator along with possibly WE. The idea of non reproducing predators in a smaller pond is appealing as controlling the reproduction of species like LMB is difficult in a smaller pond. Sourcing HSB is fairly easy and WE can be sourced as well with a bit more challenge. Stocking one or the other every other year can lead to fish of different size classes and quality angling. SMB can also be stocked in your pond. I think they will not overpopulate with the lack of suitable spawning areas in your pond.

Take your time and get the forage base established. Patience will pay off! I would also look at getting the soil around your pond tested as well as the water. Although there is a limestone bedrock in that area, the soil is still often quite acidic. A friend of mine had a pH of 5.7 in a food plot he did a few years back in the Linden area. If those trees are going to stay flooded, they will die. Especially the pines. I would look into cutting them down before they become a hazard. I would also begin planning for investing in an aeration system. With so many trees near and around your pond, you will end up with a lot of lead litter in your pond. You will want a good aeration system to help break it down. It can also act as an insurance system to prevent future fish kills. Since I am out your way regularly, if you would like me to stop in and take a look in person, drop me a PM.

Best of luck!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: 1/2 acre pond in NW Virginia - 03/23/14 03:23 PM
Uncle E - Welcome from another neighbor. I'm about 20 miles west of Winchester, just off US 50, right over the line in Hampshire County.

Ken
Posted By: Uncle E Re: 1/2 acre pond in NW Virginia - 03/24/14 06:04 PM
CJBS, Thank you for taking the time to respond, I sincerely appreciate it! I really like your idea of the YP & HSB stocking plan & I have decided that is the plan for me. I like it because I think the BG - LMB route seems kind of ordinary; I can go fishing for them in about 50 farm ponds within a 20 mile radius of my house, but I don't know of a single YP & HSB pond anywhere around here.

I agree with the acid soil statement. The soil is fairly acidic around here, even with the limestone base. I haven’t had a chance to measure the pond water quality yet, but I would guess it is a bit on the acidic side. It was initially filled by ONE overnight rain storm and runoff from an adjoining 60 acres of fields. I am also finding that the pine trees are dropping a fair number of pine needles into the pond. I am assuming I will have to spread some lime in the water in the very near future.

Zetts in WV (this is their catalog http://zettsfishhatchery.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/CompleteCatalog.pdf) advertises what they call a “Seminole Stripped Yellow Perch” a “Spotted Small Mouth Bass” and a “Small Mouth Black Bass” I don’t see that they have any RES or RBS but I can find out tomorrow when I call them to pro-order my minnows. I am using them because they are very close to me and I can drive and get the fish myself, unless someone tells me to use someone else.

With that said, can you suggest a stocking “plan” I guess what I am asking is how many fish, what size & when should I stock them. Keeping in mind I don’t have a problem feeding. Oh, and one more thing…should I put in a few catfish?
Posted By: Uncle E Re: 1/2 acre pond in NW Virginia - 03/24/14 06:07 PM
Hello catmandoo AKA Ken, Thank you for the "Welcome" Since you and your fish live within an hours drive, would you care to chime in? I would really like to have your opinion as well.
© Pond Boss Forum