Pond Boss
Posted By: Lukkyseven Banded Killifish - 02/08/13 03:16 PM
Does anyone know of a source for these guys? They're native the my MD area, but I can't fin any for sale. I'm not expecting them to be cheap, but I'd at least like to see if I can find some.

Thanks,
Chris
Posted By: kenc Re: Banded Killifish - 02/08/13 03:32 PM
Zetts' fish farm in W. Va.
Posted By: Lukkyseven Re: Banded Killifish - 02/08/13 07:03 PM
Are you saying this because you've ordered them from there before? No where on their website or catalog does it say that they sell Killifish. It's all shiners and bullheads.
Posted By: kenc Re: Banded Killifish - 02/08/13 07:57 PM
I couldn't get their catalog to pull up. They sell them as mud minnows. No,I have not used them. We get our fish from up the river or down the river sources. Am looking to getting a load of yellow perch in the near future. Good luck!!
Posted By: Lukkyseven Re: Banded Killifish - 02/08/13 11:08 PM
Zetts sells Bull Minnows, but not Mudminnows. Either way though, these are different from what I'm looking for unfortunately.

The guy I've been talking to suggests that they will utilize plants in the pond for reproduction where as my fatheads and spotfin shiners are using different parts of the pond to spawn.

I don't have a lot of room in my small pond, so I'd like to try and utilize all of it. Not just toss forage in that's going to compete for the same type of spawning grounds.

I am trying to help this along by adding a bunch of places for them to be able to spawn and hide.
Posted By: Zep Re: Banded Killifish - 02/08/13 11:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Lukkyseven
Zetts

I was not aware "crappies are a member of the bream family" as it says on the Zetts website.

http://www.zettsfish.com/cat/115604-Zetts%20FFH-2013%20catalog-WEB.pdf
Posted By: kenc Re: Banded Killifish - 02/08/13 11:41 PM
I think Travis told me they are ban.Kill. He is the man and will tell you when he comes on the forum.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Banded Killifish - 02/09/13 02:50 AM
Yes crappie are a member of the sunfish family. I think Travis said the bull minnows are banded killifish. He will verify this. Zetts also has a fish farm in WVA. I think one of the Zetts sons runs it. Catmandoo knows about the WVA Zetts.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Banded Killifish - 02/10/13 02:02 AM
Yes, bull minnows are another common name for banded killifish. They are the same species, just different common/local names. Zett's is the only hatchery I am aware of that sells them in the east, or least that I have been able to find. As to whether they still sell them I cannot say. You would have to give them a ring. If they don't, I have a large number of them in my forage pond and can get you some if you would like. They were sourced from the Potomac River watershed originally and have been pond bred now for 6 years.

Male coloration

Female Coloration
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Banded Killifish - 02/10/13 04:08 AM
Beautiful fish there, nicely done T. Gotta get my hands on some for my new project!
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Banded Killifish - 02/10/13 10:29 AM
CJ I'd like to see some pics or info on your place.. Sounds like you got a really interesting setup up but ive never really got a description or overview. You should share that some time if you want..
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Banded Killifish - 02/11/13 03:14 AM
Here is a photo of the pond I am raising the banded killifish and other non traditional forage species. It's around 0.34 acres in size.

Posted By: kenc Re: Banded Killifish - 02/11/13 03:18 AM
Plus he has about 40 to 50 acres of water to work his magic at Aylett.
© Pond Boss Forum