Pond Boss
New pond, fledgling pond 'boss' here. Pond should have been fish free, but now see a couple hundred fingerling catfish. Perhaps from another ponds overflow during monster rains?

I've considered stocking the Trilogy, BG, LMB, CC, with pounds of fatheads and a triploid carp or two. Thoughts on my choices? What should my timing be on stocking my choices?
If you have catfish I'll bet you also have other species.

How new is the pond? What type of fish are in the other ponds?
Can you trap and get a picture of said catfish? Might be bullheads if they showed up on their own in hoards like that.
You are likely right they flooded downstream during heavy rains. Dave is right you likely have other species as well. Look at Google Earth and see what ponds are above yours in the same drainage. See if you can make contact with their owners and see what species they've stocked. What they have in their ponds will undoubtedly be in your pond as well. I'd stock 30-40 of the largest LMB you can get our hands on as soon as possible. Add 300 5"+ BG as well...
Thanks for the responses!

Existing pond was down to a wet spot with the drought, we had it rebuilt from scratch last year. I can't imagine even eggs making it through as all the original sides and bottom were scraped out and deposited elsewhere. Doubled in size and dry as a bone last spring, it filled over the summer of 2011. I have tons of frogs already and some medium and large snapping turtles with a few water snakes. Those guys migrated UP to me from ponds downstream.

The property above me was leased for cattle until last year, its just grassland this year. Google shows one small pond in the middle of this mile square field that drains into my property. No signs of buildings ever built-can't imagine they stocked the tiny pond, it can't be more then 1/4 acre.

I'll post a pic of the mystery fingerlings next week. Any other thoughts meantime?
It's easy to believe that the fish came from below you. Most fish do go upstream in a flood. However, it might be unlikely for a school to do that. It is more likely that a gravid female came in and then dropped her eggs.

How big is your pond?
Upstream in a flood? This I did not know. Interesting. This is helpful in that the downstream ponds are on neighbor's property so I can easily find out what may have been stocked.

The pond is 3/4 acre.

Attached picture pond 2.JPG
Yep, fish will swim both ways in flowing water.
© Pond Boss Forum