Pond Boss
Posted By: Duane Haas Trying to get started - 03/25/12 08:08 PM
I just had a 1/2 acre pond built and it is currently filling with water (only 1 small rainstorm since completion). I am thinking I would like to try for a large BG pond with some LMB and CC for the occasional fun and to keep the BG in check. Here is what I am thinking -

All stocked this spring if the pond holds well
400 - 2-4" BG
100 - 2-4" RES
10 lbs - GS
10 lbs - FHM

Stocked next spring
40 - 3-4" LMB
40 - 3-4" CC

Possibly some HSB as well. I will be feeding as soon as I can, but may not be right away. No aeration. I don't usually eat fish, but my family will have use of the pond as well and may eat some from time to time. I personally am not considering HBG at this time due to the replacement as well as I would like to keep my LMB and CC fed decently well (not expecting much, but a couple of nice ones every now and then would be good).

So what do you guys think? Is this feasible?

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Trying to get started - 03/25/12 11:40 PM
The LMB-HSB and CC can be stocked this fall or next spring. Do you have spawning structure in place for the FHM and GS? Each species requires a different type of spawning structure. If you use HSB reduce CC numbers by one for each HSB stocked. You should be able to stock from 15-25 HSB without pellet feeding. HSb may also reduce numbers of fingerling bass if HSB are not fed pellets. Watch for this as the pond ages past 3-5 yrs. Keep in mind that to maintain larger BG the bass should be kept smaller by harvesting most bass over 14"-15" and BG harvest should focus on the females. Learn to recognize the difference between male and female BG.
Posted By: Duane Haas Re: Trying to get started - 03/26/12 04:32 AM
My structure is currently a pile of cedar trees, some pallets in stacks, as well as a few (6) PVC trees/shrubs.

And thanks for the female BG reduction as well. I will definitely read up on that.
© Pond Boss Forum