Pond Boss
Posted By: dlyle Orange Spotted Sunfish - 11/01/11 11:34 PM
These small sunfish caught my eye on the Zimmerman's website, where they are described as "the smallest and least aggressive of all the Lepomis sunfish." That, combined with their small size (Zimmerman's says 4 in. max), made me wonder about their potential as a forage species, especially in ponds where SMB are the largest predator. With abundant vegetation and other cover, combined with a diversified forage base to keep the pressure off, could they reproduce in sufficient numbers to play a meaningful role in the forage base of such a pond?

IIRC correctly, I saw on an old thread that you purchased some in the hopes of establishing them some time ago, CJ. How did that turn out?
Posted By: ewest Re: Orange Spotted Sunfish - 11/02/11 01:41 AM

OSS discussion thread

Your question is covered in the thread.
Posted By: dlyle Re: Orange Spotted Sunfish - 11/02/11 02:10 AM
Thanks, ewest.
Posted By: dlyle Re: Orange Spotted Sunfish - 11/03/11 01:17 PM
Ran across this one as well -- Dr. Dave goes into bit more detail in this one.

OSS and SMB
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Orange Spotted Sunfish - 11/03/11 01:43 PM
I noticed in the thread that was linked, there was no mention if bringing in orange spotted sunfish to California was legal. I would bet if they are not native it would be illegal. The reason I say this is to ship just frozen fish to California (I supply taxidermists with trophy specimens) I'm supposed to fill out a form and they are quite stringent on fish shipments. Heck as has been mentioned on this thread California is even hard on domestic farms and native fish stocking.

I know Dyle is not in California but just thought I would mention it.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Orange Spotted Sunfish - 11/03/11 07:37 PM
You guys are goooodddd! smile
© Pond Boss Forum