Pond Boss
Posted By: rcooked Stocking Round two - 04/01/10 11:52 PM
Decided to call Forest Fish farm today since Jone's was out of Perch yesterday and they had them in stock and ready to go.

I added 122 yellow perch and two painted turtles to the pond. The kids wanted turtles bad so we got them two as well.

A lot of the perch were bearing eggs - which I think will be a good thing. The perch were all in the 4-6 inch range and I paid $1.64 each.

Here is a link to some pics of today's event.

http://gallery.me.com/rcooked#100131

I am going to work on posting the entire project photos for everyone to view at some point.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Stocking Round two - 04/02/10 12:43 AM
Nice pics. I can't wait to stock the LMB in my pond this June. I haven't been taking near enough pictures but that's going to change this year.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Stocking Round two - 04/02/10 12:49 AM
rcooked, great pics! You don't seem to get many of the fish! Did the turtles get named at all?

Have you done any structure in the pond?

4-6" YP sound a little young to be egg-laden, but I don't really know. If you see egg strands on stucture, you might get a YP spawn. Strands almost look like 2" wide semi-decayed sections of tissue paper.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Stocking Round two - 04/02/10 01:09 AM
Great pics! Glad you found the YP you were looking for. You may struggle to keep them in your pond with LMB present, so you may have to restock them every few years. But until the LMB get more size to them, you should be good to go for a while.
Posted By: rcooked Re: Stocking Round two - 04/02/10 01:17 AM
Hi all.

Yes, I've got structure in the bottom of the pond - put it in the night before we got two inches of rain and it started filling. I don't have a ton of it, but some decent. I will get the photos of it up later.

I am going to add a couple PVC trees this summer I think. I'm recouping from a dislocated knee and still in a brace for two more weeks. My windmill came today, so I have a couple of projects waiting, but the weather is nice and I can chip away at them.

Some of the perch were pushing 6 inches (maybe a tad larger). They were not huge by any stretch, but that is ok. I am feeding, etc... so that should help.

I am trying to keep my numbers of fish reasonably low - some people think I am nuts with them already, but I think it is all pretty manageable at this point.

It's fun! I'll try not to kill people on here posting a ton of pics, etc...
© Pond Boss Forum