Pond Boss
Posted By: Illinois Longhorn Yellow Perch - 11/15/06 04:49 PM
I am not very familiar with this species. Will they do well in Central Illinois? Are they prone to becoming overpopulated in a pond with LMB, CC, SF, and HBG? One last question are they a species of fish that you eat? All prior mention to perch that I have heard was from people who caught them in the river....and they were not fans of them.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Yellow Perch - 11/15/06 06:25 PM
IL LH,
I started quizzing the panel of experts on this subject back a few weeks when I qued 'em up for input on stocking FH in a new pond. The YP stuff kicks in nearer the bottom of Page 1 of the OK, Talk FH to me thread
Posted By: Illinois Longhorn Re: Yellow Perch - 11/15/06 08:55 PM
Hmmm....our pond is approx. 3 acres. We have LMB, CC, GSF and a few BG. I would have to stock larger ones it seems since by LMB are getting some size (as I recently found out). Perhaps I will hold off on the YP until we get the thing dug out...hopefully next winter! They sure do look like a fun fish though!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Yellow Perch - 11/15/06 10:49 PM
Yellow perch is the single best tasting fish I've ever had. And I've had 'em all.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Yellow Perch - 11/16/06 03:41 AM
"Yellow perch is the single best tasting fish I've ever had. And I've had 'em all."

Yeah, but you really like carp too, and I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

One good thing about adding Yellow Perch to a pond is that you can easily get larger Yellow Perch for stocking purposes. This way, you can stock YP into a pond with an existing LMB population, and still have many YP survive as a bonus fish. They do also provide forage for bass.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Yellow Perch - 11/16/06 04:32 AM
Let's be clear here, dude. I like grass carp, not common carp! \:\)
Posted By: Sunil Re: Yellow Perch - 11/16/06 02:23 PM
OK, my fault. That's a major difference. But the photo of your bathtub would indicate otherwise.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Yellow Perch - 11/16/06 04:04 PM
He eats Grass Carp; he bathes with Common Carp.
Posted By: ewest Re: Yellow Perch - 11/16/06 04:35 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sunil:
One good thing about adding Yellow Perch to a pond is that you can easily get larger Yellow Perch for stocking purposes. This way, you can stock YP into a pond with an existing LMB population, and still have many YP survive as a bonus fish. They do also provide forage for bass.
Also YP , being a cool water fish , help keep down the tendency of BG stunting in northern ponds. Bigger YP can eat quite a few small BG in fall and winter as they are active while the small BG are much lees active.
© Pond Boss Forum