Pond Boss
Posted By: njfisherman111 New Jersey Pond - 03/30/06 07:42 PM
hi, I have this pond that is approximately 6-8 acres, not sure of the depths. I would like to know what fish would be good to stock. With that size of the lake would I be able to stock pickerl, LM Bass, Sunfish, and Crappie. I was wondering on how big the pond has to be in order to have pike in it. How big does the Lake have to be to have walleye or maybe smallmouth bass. There is this little stream that feeds in to the pond.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: New Jersey Pond - 03/30/06 07:57 PM
Depth could make a big difference. You could get a fair idea, enough for stocking purposes, by crossing in a boat two or three times and sounding (with a long marked stick or a measured, weighted line) often as you go.

Are you sure there are no existing fish? If there are, that may limit what you can do depending on what the squatters are. A stream feeding in can easily mean the pond got whatever fish the stream has.
Posted By: njfisherman111 Re: New Jersey Pond - 03/30/06 08:00 PM
no there are not any fish in it. I am not sure how deep it is to be exact but it is at least 14 feet deep. Would that be suistable for a smallmouth?
Posted By: Alligator Re: New Jersey Pond - 03/30/06 08:54 PM
hi nj,

Welcome to PB!

(without trying to sound overly confident)

To Theo's point: Most ponds will have fish in it unless the pond is new (since you are unsure of th depth i am assuming that it is not new) or the fish have been purposely eliminated, allbeit they may be few or undesireable fish - but something may very well be in there.

How old is the pond?

Gator
© Pond Boss Forum