Pond Boss
Posted By: burgermeister blue cats - 03/16/05 01:34 AM
I have a 1/3 ac. pond that has lay dormant for 20 yrs. I will stock w/ fatheads, bg/redears, some channels, and lmb. Question, can "a few" blues be subbed for lmb. Goal is good bream and catfishing. I will be aerating and feeding.

tnx
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: blue cats - 03/16/05 03:02 PM
I would skip the LMB's in a 1/3 acre pond. When they spawn you have a real problem. I tried it and learned about it the hard way. I don't know enough about blues to comment.
Posted By: Zach Re: blue cats - 03/16/05 05:24 PM
They will do ok as long as they dont spawn. They should control bluegill and redears well.
Posted By: big_pond Re: blue cats - 03/16/05 08:28 PM
They will do all right when use your stocking numbers for the bass. I would cut that actual numbers in half. Then make the other half of the numbers Blues. The Blues will be as, or more predatious as the bass.
In other words 50 bass per acre, in your case this would be about 20 bass because you have 1/3 acre pond. Cut this number in half that makes 10 bass and 10 blues. This is how I would stock your 1/3 acre pond.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: blue cats - 03/17/05 12:18 AM
Thanks so much for the enlightening responses.
10 and 10 was the ballpark I was considering.
Any other useful info appreciated. Big-pond, I noticed you are a Blue Cat man also.
Posted By: big_pond Re: blue cats - 03/19/05 03:37 AM
Absolulty a Blue cat man...I have been trying to keep up with all the members on this sight that grow blue cats like me...there are a few of us out there. We try to keep each other informed on how the management of this fishery is going.

Keep us in touch on how you are doing as well
© Pond Boss Forum