Pond Boss
Posted By: Tims shellcracker question - 03/25/04 05:37 AM
My pond is about 3/4 acre big with an average depth of 10ft. A local fish farm is stocking my lake. So far I got 10lbs of minnows and 1000 shellcrackers. The bass will come later. My question is, did I mess up putting that many shellcrackers in. I've read post about stocking 80/20 with bluegill and got worried I done the wrong thing. Any info is appreciated.
Posted By: Bill Duggan Re: shellcracker question - 03/25/04 11:14 AM
The 80/20 mix is correct. Shellcrackers(redears) have a special nitch is a pond, they feed mostly on snails, will not take to feed and breed only once a year. Your pond will not produce enough food for 1000 shellcrackers. The pros might disagree but I would still put in 250 bream and feed them. My guess is most of the shellcrackers will die off over the next year.

Did the fish farm give you any reason for stocking just shellcrackers? Does the fish farm have bream?
Posted By: Tims Re: shellcracker question - 03/26/04 02:07 AM
Communication breakdown. It was stocked 80/20. Just found out tonight. Thanks
Posted By: Bob Shelton Re: shellcracker question - 03/28/04 04:36 PM
Tims--I have a similar size pond. I am using " Coppernose" Bream--80/20 with redear. Coppernose to my understanding can spawn 4 times a year and reach some pretty good size-- 2 plus lbs. under the right conditions. I was told that there are several types of " Blue Gills" So you should be specific in requesting from you fish supplier. I also have added fathead minnows, and crawfish. I am waiting for a few spawns before adding some baby bass.
© Pond Boss Forum