Pond Boss
Posted By: Cooter Pond Raising bait fish - 02/01/04 10:17 PM
Does anyone have any info on cage raising of bait fish to supply local charter boats and other fishermen. I have a 3.5 acre pond stocked with Bass and Bluegill that I manage for my own fishing pleasure. I am trying to research the posibility of such a venture to supplement a little income from my play toy. Any info or resourse would be appreciated.

Thank You
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Raising bait fish - 02/02/04 12:09 AM
As I see it, this will not be very profitable due to your competition's ease of raising cheap bait fish in ponds. Your other major hurdle will be keeping cage mesh walls clean to allow for adequate water circulation and exchange thru the cage. To keep bait fish contained, the mesh will have to be small and the smaller the mesh the quicker it clogs or grows shut with attached algae. For cage raisers to be profitable, the finished product has to bring a high price. Most fish can be raised cheaper in an open pond versus a cage and its associated problems..

Your only hope in succeeding with this idea is to grow a type of bait that is expensive and not available locally. Then you will have a niche market and might be able to compete.
Posted By: swampstalker Re: Raising bait fish - 02/02/04 01:09 AM
I agree with Bill. Getting setup would be expensive and time consuming for the return. Any health problems whatsoever and you lose money.
Posted By: Mike Robinson Re: Raising bait fish - 02/02/04 01:54 AM
Did you check to see what the charter boat is paying for the bait? What sort of bait do they use? I'm not sure where you're located, but you will have a hard time competing with any established fish farms or wild bait harvesters. Also, keep in mind that, as they say, you're not a true fish farmer until you kill your first million fish. This may be an exaggeration, but undoubtedly you will not be profitable for years to come.

If you are interested in doing it anyhow, check the aquaculture information network:
http://aquanic.org/

and the World Aquaculture Society:
http://was.org

Visit other operations and inquire with state aquaculture extensions, sea grant or universities before spending your first dollar.

Good luck...you'll need it!!
© Pond Boss Forum