Pond Boss
Posted By: STP Algae Control - 03/29/23 10:26 PM
Hello Everyone,

After 3 years with almost zero algae this year it has already started to collect so before it gets too nasty I figured I should ask what folks use that will break it down/kill it but also won't damage our lily plants. I'm not trying to wipe out her lily plants - that would be bad

Open to tilapia and had a solid dozen in there last year but there wasn't much infestation to begin with last year. 1/4-1/3 acre pond with established fish.

Let me know your thoughts - appreciate it!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Algae Control - 03/29/23 10:53 PM
My vote is for tilapia, I got a bad case already this year…. Tilapia to expensive for 6 acres…..so I’m Sol
Posted By: anthropic Re: Algae Control - 03/29/23 11:02 PM
STP, I lived in Ohio before moving South & have experienced some algae issues there. Tilapia are my best suggestion as well.
Posted By: STP Re: Algae Control - 03/29/23 11:16 PM
I was thinking grabbing 2-3lbs from Jones Fish when they arrive (I think Jones has them in June). Chalk it up as a bonus fish for us to eat along with tons of fry/minnows for the occupants to enjoy.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Algae Control - 03/30/23 12:38 AM
STP
Make sure you get some females. Seems like you will get more males…..
Posted By: esshup Re: Algae Control - 03/31/23 05:12 AM
1/4 ac pond will need 10#, 1/3 ac pond will need 13-14 pounds of Tilapia for them to work. Water less than 24" deep treat with Cutrine Plus liquid +-5 days of stocking the Tilapia, water that is deeper than 24" and has algae growing in it treat it with Cutrine Plus granules. Follow the label for proper application rate. The trout might croak when using it, they are very sensitive to copper.

If you don't kill the algae when the tilapia are stocked, you will be lucky if they work for ya. I've seen a 1 ac pond stocked with 100# of Tilapia without the algae being killed and it looked like they didn't do a dang thing. Stocking rates up here for them to work is 40#/surface acre. Ask them what ratio is the male/females in the tank, and ask them if they are hybrid Tilapia or pure blues. I have never seen a pure blue tilapia any color other than steel blue in color.

Maybe Rex can chime in? He knows more about them than I do.
© Pond Boss Forum