Pond Boss
Posted By: Barracuda J Too much structure? - 08/09/22 05:27 PM
[Linked Image]

my pond is 1.25 acre. we put a bunch of cedar piles back into pond bottom before the pond filled up. My concern is theres too much structure and it will affect bass catch rates???? what should i do? is it even possible to remove? I have attached photos of structure before and then when the pond is fully filled.

Attached picture IMG_0797.PNG
Attached picture IMG_3261.jpg
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Too much structure? - 08/09/22 06:46 PM
Only one picture displayed. Normally too much structure in a pond will affect anglers more than bass catch rates. Anglers will just need to learn better how to effectively fish in structure. Actually fishing less often and fewer hours each time improves fish catchability because it minimizes producing hook smart fish which is a problem in smaller ponds - too much fishing pressure in the long term reduces angler success.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Too much structure? - 08/09/22 07:38 PM
Can you mark the brush piles at the surface?

Throwing a surface or very shallow-running lure OVER a brush pile will be effective at certain times.

Throwing a deeper-running or bottom lure BESIDE a brush pile will be effective at other times.

Some people have marked their structure with duck decoys - if a white clorox jug is too ugly! You could also sink a tall, slender trunk (with few or zero branches) with ballast to hold it upright to mark with a "flooded timber" look.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Too much structure? - 08/09/22 07:48 PM
Cuda, no need to worry. If it is too much in some sense, natural structure decays over time. In a year, significantly. In three or four years, most of the brushy stuff will be gone. You can determine what is "perfect" and, after it decays past that point, renew.
Posted By: esshup Re: Too much structure? - 08/19/22 06:46 PM
Think about how much is in there in regards to the surface area of the pond. Do you have more than 25% of the surface area in cover for the fish? i.e. 1/4 acre in a 1 ac pond.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Too much structure? - 08/19/22 08:41 PM
Here is a link to a classic Pond Boss thread on structure that ewest put together.

It has drawings, videos, and links to additional structure threads.

Pond Boss Archives - Structure
© Pond Boss Forum