Pond Boss
Posted By: Barracuda J Pond Exterior Vegetation - 05/08/22 11:55 PM
Our new 1.4 acre pond is in the process of being stocked with bass bluegill and baitfish. Pond is about 1/2 -3/4 full. NO current vegetation except for normal native grasses and plants surrounding pond.

Any recommendations for vegetation for the exterior and shoreline of pond. Something visually nice and beneficial for fish would be ideal ie. shade for fish. I dont know the first thing about pond vegetation and the last thing I want is the pond being taken over by some random plant I put in.

Any suggestions thanks
Posted By: BottomFeeder Re: Pond Exterior Vegetation - 05/26/22 04:19 AM
Check out pickerel weed. You may be able to find some locally and plant it along the edges in shallow water.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Pond Exterior Vegetation - 05/26/22 04:58 AM
If it's 1/2 to 3/4 full, your shores should be grassed (rye or wheat) to minimize erosion if you don't have riprap or rock/gravel.. I'm not sure I would worry much about bog plants until near full as their purpose is to use nutrients from the pond AND help with shoreline stabilization.
Posted By: pdubdo Re: Pond Exterior Vegetation - 09/04/22 10:38 PM
Was really happy seeding rye along the bank including areas that will eventually be covered w/ water. Provided at least a little cover initially. I love pickerelweed...BUT..I have deer or raccoons or turtles or something that eats all of it within a month of trying to get it established. I had american pondweed show up pretty quickly on it's own. Good luck!!
© Pond Boss Forum