Pond Boss
Posted By: ttdigiacomo Best pond slope - 04/05/21 04:52 PM
Hi guys, recommendations on pond slope for a 1 1/4 acre fishing pond with relatively clear water. Should I go 3 to 1 for weed control or perhaps 4 to 1 for more fishable shallow water for bass? Opinions welcome!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Best pond slope - 04/05/21 04:59 PM
For the sake of safety, I prefer 3 to 1. Also, you will need some place for fish to nest
Posted By: anthropic Re: Best pond slope - 04/05/21 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
For the sake of safety, I prefer 3 to 1. Also, you will need some place for fish to nest

Dave, wouldn't a 4 to 1 grade be better for safety & fish nesting? It's less steep.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Best pond slope - 04/07/21 01:21 PM
Mike Otto once told me 3 to 1. And I’ve lost every argument I’ve ever had with him. Even on stuff that I knew a lot about.

As long as small children aren’t involved, I doubt that it matters but I agree with you re safety. You just impound a little less less water.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Best pond slope - 04/07/21 02:36 PM
3:1 inside pond and 4:1 or 5:1 on the outside(behind dam)
Posted By: esshup Re: Best pond slope - 04/07/21 06:22 PM
Just remember that a pond slope doesn't have to be uniform all the way around a pond. You could have a more gradual slope in certain area if you wanted.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Best pond slope - 04/07/21 06:35 PM
3 to 1 is sort of the standard for this area, thats what most NRCS ponds are designed around, 4 to 1 is pretty rare and I am not aware of ever seeing one with a 5 to 1 slope, that's pretty flat, unless it may be on a pond dug into flat ground and needing a place to go with dirt, which is what I am getting ready to do for a neighbor who just wants a swimming hole for the kids.
Posted By: esshup Re: Best pond slope - 04/07/21 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by gehajake
3 to 1 is sort of the standard for this area, thats what most NRCS ponds are designed around, 4 to 1 is pretty rare and I am not aware of ever seeing one with a 5 to 1 slope, that's pretty flat, unless it may be on a pond dug into flat ground and needing a place to go with dirt, which is what I am getting ready to do for a neighbor who just wants a swimming hole for the kids.

I put an area of 5:1 in my pond to act as a sort of beach area and an area to have young dogs able to go in the water and not have to start swimming right away. Not very wide, maybe 20 feet.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Best pond slope - 04/08/21 12:49 AM
3 to 1 on back of dam to maximize pond, slope varies inside pond.
© Pond Boss Forum