Pond Boss
Posted By: BigDaddySteve FLOATING TURTLE RAFTS - 09/15/20 05:26 PM
My son has decided to build 2 floating turtle rafts for his BSA Eagle Scout Project and install them at the nearby State Park (Jones Lake State Park in Elizabethtown, NC). We've read a TON of information on the subject here on Pond Boss, but the one question I haven't read about is PLACEMENT. Should they be placed near the shore, in the middle of the lake, close to vegetation, etc.?

PS: And since "inclusion" is such a big concern in our current political climate, we're making the rafts accessible to all ducks, snakes, lizards, geese seeking a little rest and relaxation (and any other neighborhood creature who identifies as such). Turtle-privilege is real grin
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: FLOATING TURTLE RAFTS - 09/15/20 06:18 PM
My turtle rafts are placed in the NW and SE corners. The turtles don't seem to be territorial but different ones tend to line up along side their 'friends' on the floats. They tend to like access to deeper water so they can dive off the raft quickly when needed. They seem relaxed while they sunbathe but they are always very alert while on the platform. They always escape off the deep water side. But I like the floats placed closer to shore so I can get to them more easily and pull them in for storage come fall/winter. The reason for placing them in the two opposite corners of the pond is that the turtles chase the sun. They move from sunny raft to sunny raft as the angle of the sun changes over the course of the day.

What materials will he use? I found the carpet on the surface when laid in a way that overlaps down into the water helps them climb on. The part that was floating in the water also was a staging ground for the timid turtles. They would just rest on the floating section of carpet adjacent to and then climb on when they were ready.

What other ideas do you need?
Posted By: Mfitzs70 Re: FLOATING TURTLE RAFTS - 09/16/20 09:29 AM
I'm not sure around you but you may need permissions to place an item in a state park. You may have already looked into it but thought it might be worth saying out loud.

Mike
Posted By: BigDaddySteve Re: FLOATING TURTLE RAFTS - 09/18/20 09:07 PM
Fortunately, our Troop has a great relationship/arrangement with the Park Ranger. Other scouts have built bat boxes, duck boxes, flower beds, owl nesting boxes, work out stations, as well as various tables and benches. My oldest son installed bench swings around the lake as his Eagle Project. I appreciate your concern--thats a good point.
Posted By: BigDaddySteve Re: FLOATING TURTLE RAFTS - 09/18/20 09:18 PM
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for--thank you! I'm sure more questions will come up, though, so please keep an eye out for me!
© Pond Boss Forum