Pond Boss
Posted By: 2506ackley Best way to cut hole in tire - 08/16/20 09:22 PM
Guys I have 4 wrangler duratrac’s that I just pulled off my truck and I want to sink them in my lake.

I tried to cut a hole in one of them with a hole bit with a drill but it would not make it through.

Any ideas on what to use to cut air holes in the tires?

I have a big cutting torch but was afraid the rubber would splatter.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Best way to cut hole in tire - 08/16/20 09:46 PM
A hoe saw would work better cutting through the steel belts. PS 25-06 is my favorite caliber
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Best way to cut hole in tire - 08/17/20 11:42 AM
Not recommending but I did once use a chain saw. It worked but the chain didn't last long. It also slung a lot of rubbery crap.
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Best way to cut hole in tire - 08/17/20 12:04 PM
Using a piece of garden hose, insert one end into the air pocket to vent out the air. Very simple in that either end of the piece of hose can be inserted into the air pocket, no getting bogged down with complexity.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Best way to cut hole in tire - 08/17/20 12:58 PM
I once drilled 6-8 holes in the tread of over 100 tires with a 1/4" drill bit.

The bit was kind of dull afterwards, but I didn't have any problems making the holes.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Best way to cut hole in tire - 08/17/20 02:31 PM
I was wondering if a metal cut off saw that uses an abrasive wheel would work? OR a battery powered angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut a X shaped flap?

I tried using a large 'Christmas Tree' shaped stepped bit from HF and it was a lot of work and everything got pretty heated up by the time I was through.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Best way to cut hole in tire - 08/17/20 03:11 PM
Canyon creek has it...A cut-off wheel and a grinder is, by far, the safest way to cut some holes in a tire that I have found. It will put off a good amount of smoke, but the cut-off will eat through like butter more than anything else I have ever tried. The hole will be more square or triangular, but the air bubbles won't care.
© Pond Boss Forum